MIDI Graphic Editor Drag Bug

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
stubbsonic
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: MIDI Graphic Editor Drag Bug

Post by stubbsonic »

Thanks for checking it.

I thought it might be mouse related, but I checked and it does happen with my RMBP's trackpad, and it also does this on an old G4 running DP 4.5 with the apple mouse.

As I said, it's been a problem for as long as I can remember, and going back to DP 4.

I am at least glad to see that some machines don't exhibit this, and that they ARE seeing it at MOTU so they can fix it!!
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
cleamon

Post by cleamon »

stubbsonic wrote:Just a quick request; would a few of you mind just checking out the video and testing to see if you see similar on your systems? It might take a few slow back & forth drags over the original location in order to see it.

That would be very helpful to know.

Thanks.
Happens on my system (see sig.).
----------------------------------------------
Chuck
iMac (Retina 4K, 21.5-inch, 2017)|| 16GB Ram || OS/X 10.14.6 || Motu 828MkII || Steinberg UR242 || DP8.07
Macbook Pro (Retina, 13-inch), 2.7 GHz i5, 8GB Ram
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

You and I are using the same DP & OS versions. Makes me wonder if it is not an issue with some combination of things.

Thanks for checking. Very helpful.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

It'll be interesting to see if it speeds up DP in general.
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

Hey Shooshie, did you ever end up testing this on your system?

Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

stubbsonic wrote:Hey Shooshie, did you ever end up testing this on your system?
Actually yes. The behavior has been around for a long time. It's become almost like a part of my technique, where it always feels like I overshoot the target, but then I'm able to zero-in to it. Used to be instant and it felt like things were so solid. Now it takes longer due to this inaccuracy of the cursor, which sometimes just doesn't move when I move the mouse, or overshoots a bit when it finally DOES move.

In addition, I had some other weirdness during the session I tested it: I worked for a couple hours with no problem at all. Then something happened which I can't account for, and everything changed. Here are the things that started happening after some X factor kicked in:
  • • Slower response when clicking and dragging (but not by much)
    • Clicking on take comps with takes showing, using the Comp Tool, took about a second before it would switch to that take, whereas the previous couple hours the switch was instant.
    • My Roll Tool worked perfectly the first time, but from then on it would only select a range, like the I-Beam.
That's all I can think of for the moment.

Can't explain any of it yet.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

Ah. Ok. Thanks for checking.

To be clear, under the hood, it is actually doing what it is supposed to. If I "trust" where I think it should drop and let go of the mouse "on faith" it will drop it right, even if the display is showing the highlighted notes on the wrong grid point.

So it might be more of a display glitch than a mouse tracking glitch, but I can't say that with certainty.

It would be really great if they could improve the responsiveness.

It's funny, I opened the MIDI editor on a piece of donation-ware called Aria Maestosa. And though it works a little differently, the response to selection & dragging is very immediate feeling. It's really what I would have expected DP to have since computers are so much faster now. But it weirdly DP got clunkier in this one respect.

stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

On a related subject, today I had an opportunity to install DP 2.7 on a PPC running 9.2.2.

I took that opportunity to re-experience what the MIDI graphic editing felt like back then. For one thing, it wouldn't zoom vertically as much as more recent versions. Also, this version already had that awful change where the lasso selections followed the grid on/off setting. I.e., it denies you the immediacy of ALWAYS letting your lasso do what you want it to do. So, since I like to keep the grid on for moving notes, but want to keep it off for selecting notes, I must always press command with every lasso operation. DP 2.7 does have some cursor selection options, but none of them make the lasso WYSIWYG.

Most importantly, there was no drag bug in that version. And generally all of the edit operations felt much more snappy and responsive than DP 4 through 8 (apart from the forced grid-snap selection thing. Did I mention how much that bugs me? :deadhorse: )

Fanc

Post by Fanc »

Hi, with me happens the same problem. Happens too sometimes when i push event notes up or down. This start happen when i upgrade macosx to 10.10, and happen just with magic mouse, with other apple mouses or logitech, all is ok!
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

Just bumping this topic, because it is still bugging the crap out of me, and because I wonder if MOTU fixed this in DP 9. I could add it to the bug list, but I haven't upgraded to v9 yet, so I don't know if it is any better. If past is prologue, no improvements are gained without losing something I need or love.

Robert Randolph

Post by Robert Randolph »

stubbsonic wrote:Just bumping this topic, because it is still bugging the crap out of me, and because I wonder if MOTU fixed this in DP 9. I could add it to the bug list, but I haven't upgraded to v9 yet, so I don't know if it is any better. If past is prologue, no improvements are gained without losing something I need or love.
I am able to replicate this on my system if the grid size is an eighth note or faster.

Does this happen for you if the grid size is a quarter or slower?

I filed a bug report in the new thread here for you: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=61937#p527117
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

Thanks for checking this. I changed the grid to quarter-note and thought I might have seen it happen once, but then after trying it for a few minutes, I didn't see it after that.

Thanks for adding it to your bug list.

stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

I read your description. You NAILED it perfectly. Thanks for taking the time to understand the issue and describe it impeccably.