Anyone try E-Cap 11.1 yet for DP AU issues?

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
mikehalloran
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Anyone try E-Cap 11.1 yet for DP AU issues?

Post by mikehalloran »

wow, guess I'll put a red X on my ElCap installer thumb drive and hide it for 6 months
I am having no problems with it.

Some things took awhile to catch up including the Chrome browser, Google Drive, Dragon for Mac, Toast and Finale (finally!) but they're all good for me now. I didn't have the AU issues except in Logic – and I don't really use Logic.

MOTU MIDI and Audio Drivers for 10.11 are still in beta but they're working for me.

The continued problems that many have with Yahoo business mail started in Mavericks. Workarounds exist.

Office 2016 still has problems but they are the same in Yosemite. Office 2008 works great but is a little slower. It's still faster than it was in OS 10.5 - 10.8 – a lot.

I have not heard of some of the problems that Bays is having except one. That one was that it wouldn't boot after a couple of days. What was really happening was that it hung up while going to sleep – drove me nuts till I found the Apple support article on the SMC. Resetting the SMC fixed it.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

What is the SMC, and how do you reset it?
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Well, I wouldn't assume EC is inherently flawed. A number of people here have had success with it, and while I had great success with Y, others didn't.

But the fact that our experiences vary so much is a problem itself. We rely on Apple to keep hardware and software tightly integrated, and to maintain standards for the overall platform. That doesn't seem to be happening any more. They even messed up their own AUs. I notice that EC is getting pretty poor reviews at the App Store.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Shooshie wrote:What is the SMC, and how do you reset it?
It's a catch 22. You have to be able restart to do it. :brucelee: :smash:
toodamnhip

Post by toodamnhip »

Maybe a dumb question but :
What’s the hurry to update to El Cap?

Besides little bells and whistles, why would someone need this so soon as to risk any kind of issue, especially when so many manufacturers have sent emails out stating DO NOT update yet?
Mac Pro (Late 2013
2.7 GHz 12-Core Intel Xeon E5
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
MOTU 8pre, MTP AV, 828 mkII
Tons of VIS and plug ins. SSD hard drives etc
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

toodamnhip wrote:Maybe a dumb question but :

Besides little bells and whistles, why would someone need this so soon as to risk any kind of issue, especially when so many manufacturers have sent emails out stating DO NOT update yet?
I updated because it was billed as an under the hood improvement like Snow Leopard. Not bells and whistles. I tried it out on my laptop because if that is true, I'd want it on my audio system.

When it ran it was very good, but the issues overshadowed any improvements.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

I'd heard there was some performance improvement. The "under the hood" stuff as mentioned. I've had no issues and once I cracked how to use my beloved AlphaTrack with El Cap, it's been good so far.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
toodamnhip

Post by toodamnhip »

James Steele wrote:

I'd heard there was some performance improvement. The "under the hood" stuff as mentioned. I've had no issues and once I cracked how to use my beloved AlphaTrack with El Cap, it's been good so far.
Did your performance improve?
Mac Pro (Late 2013
2.7 GHz 12-Core Intel Xeon E5
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
MOTU 8pre, MTP AV, 828 mkII
Tons of VIS and plug ins. SSD hard drives etc
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

mikehalloran wrote:[I have not heard of some of the problems that Bays is having except one. That one was that it wouldn't boot after a couple of days. What was really happening was that it hung up while going to sleep – drove me nuts till I found the Apple support article on the SMC. Resetting the SMC fixed it.
Mike, I have Yosemite running fine on a second partition. It restarts as expected. I haven't done the SMC reset, so I'm assuming SMC wasn't the reason EC would not restart.
Tonio

Post by Tonio »

Shooshie wrote:What is the SMC, and how do you reset it?
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201295
Mac Studio MAX 2TB/ 64GB RAM / DP11.2 / 828ES//
MP 5.1 3.33- 3 duo / OS10.14.6 / RX580 /DP10.13/828ES
tommymandel

Post by tommymandel »

Prime Mover wrote:I missed Yosemite because I was too scared/lazy... looks like it'll be a LONG TIME before I leave Mavericks.
When I went from 10.6.8 Snow Leopard to Yosemite, on one of my two systemsI lost Roger Linn's fantastic AdrenaLinn Sync plug-in, which can't operate in 10.10. If I'd done more thinking first (as if about 3 years wasn't enough time to think :rofl: ) I'd have tried (even harder) to find a Mavericks 10.9 installer. . . which I still can't find, although I'm not sure I could back-grade (Yosemite to Mavericks) without a whole lot of trouble anyway at this point. :boohoo: El Capitan, yeah not sure why to go there, since everything else seems to like Yosemite here, MainStage included.
DP 11.03 12core(5,1): 64GB/10.13.6, two 24i/o's, two 2408mk3's, 4pre, MicroLite-- MBP 2015 16GB/ 2TB 'Blade SSD 10.14.4, Mainstage, Numa C2x, ReMOTE SL -- SupDrmr, 32 Lives, SampleTron,Keyscape,MTronPro,RolCloud,Icarus,Dune,OB-E; Clearmountain Domain,Soundtoys,AdrenaLinnSync, LinnSequencers,Tempest, Montage, JU80, Sledge, Prophet-X, OB-6 V-Synth, s70xs, D-50, TS-10, JD800, Karma, Pa-1x B3, Wurly, Mason Hamlin.
Hardware rig: http://www.tommymandel.com/famous.html/tmrig.html"
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

bayswater wrote: I haven't done the SMC reset, so I'm assuming SMC wasn't the reason EC would not restart.
You also assumed that TRIM was the problem. I'm not positive of much except that, by focusing on TRIM, you are missing the real issue whatever it is.

You had the symptoms. The one I have that exhibited the same symptoms didn't have them before 10.11. Resetting the SMC fixed it. I don't know why only one and now that it's fixed, I don't care.

I would not make that same assumption that you have made.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

mikehalloran wrote:
bayswater wrote: I haven't done the SMC reset, so I'm assuming SMC wasn't the reason EC would not restart.
You also assumed that TRIM was the problem. I'm not positive of much except that, by focusing on TRIM, you are missing the real issue whatever it is.

You had the symptoms. The one I have that exhibited the same symptoms didn't have them before 10.11. Resetting the SMC fixed it. I don't know why only one and now that it's fixed, I don't care.

I would not make that same assumption that you have made.
I'm not following your logic. I have Yosemite running without the issues that EC presented. Presumably, the SMC is common to everything on the Mac, all the startup partitions, etc, and not specific to one OS version. So I'd conclude that if resetting the SMC is not required to get Y to work, it would not be the issue preventing EC to restart.
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

bayswater wrote:So I'd conclude that if resetting the SMC is not required to get Y to work, it would not be the issue preventing EC to restart.
First off, resetting the SMC can't hurt anything. And second, Mike has helped me out of a couple of situations like this that didn't make any sense. He has the advantage of lots of experience with lots of Macs. Sometimes experience trumps logic. Just try what he suggests. You may be pleasantly surprised. :wink:

Phil
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Phil O wrote:
bayswater wrote:So I'd conclude that if resetting the SMC is not required to get Y to work, it would not be the issue preventing EC to restart.
First off, resetting the SMC can't hurt anything. And second, Mike has helped me out of a couple of situations like this that didn't make any sense. He has the advantage of lots of experience with lots of Macs. Sometimes experience trumps logic. Just try what he suggests. You may be pleasantly surprised. :wink:

Phil
I certainly will try it. I just like to understand what I'm doing, rather than flying blind. It will be a little while though: right now my priority is getting all my data, mail, settings, etc in shape under Yosemite, with a usable backup.