Anyone try E-Cap 11.1 yet for DP AU issues?

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
David Polich
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Anyone try E-Cap 11.1 yet for DP AU issues?

Post by David Polich »

There's still way too many VI's and plugs that I use that are not "officially working" in El Cap.
I'm waiting another six months. Or maybe I'll never go to El Cap. At the moment, I don't have a
single compelling reason to upgrade to it.
2019 Mac Pro 8-core, 32GB RAM, Mac OS Ventura, MIDI Express 128, Apogee Duet 3, DP 11.2x, Waves, Slate , Izotope, UAD, Amplitube 5, Tonex, Spectrasonics, Native Instruments, Pianoteq, Soniccouture, Arturia, Amplesound, Acustica, Reason Objekt, Plasmonic, Vital, Cherry Audio, Toontrack, BFD, Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha Montage M6, Korg Kronos X61, Alesis Ion,Sequential Prophet 6, Sequential OB-6, Hammond XK5, Yamaha Disklavier MK 3 piano.
http://www.davepolich.com
Prime Mover

Post by Prime Mover »

I missed Yosemite because I was too scared/lazy... looks like it'll be a LONG TIME before I leave Mavericks.
— Eric Barker
Eel House

"All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio"
MacPro 1,1 2Ghz 7GB RAM OS 10.6.8 | MacBook Pro 13" i5 1.8Ghz 16GB RAM OS 10.8.2
DP7/8 | Komplete 7 | B4II | Korg Legacy Analog | Waves v9 (various) | Valhalla Room | EWQLSO Gold
MOTU 828mkII | MOTU 8pre | Presonus BlueTube | FMR RNC
Themes: Round is Right and Alloy
Gravity Jim

Post by Gravity Jim »

Here's a good reason to upgrade, if you're wondering:

El Capitan is not a feature-creep upgrade. The focus seems to have been on efficiency and performance. Every application on my Mac opens faster, responds faster, pushes through instructions faster. DP, Word, Safari, Mail, Quickbooks.... everything I run on a daily basis just runs better. It's been many days since the install (I waited until 10.11.1 because of problems in the beta that didn't really get fixed in the release), and I can still feel the performance upgrade every time I use it.

Everything on my signature list works. I know there are still some apps or plugs that are said to be problematic, soil you're running those, by all means wait. But NI, Waves, Slate, Arturia, everything I have is running super-great.
Jim Bordner

MacPro 5,1 (3.33Ghz 12-core), 32g RAM, OS X 10.14.6 • MOTU DP 10.11 • Logic Pro X 10.2.5 • Waves Platinum, UAD-2, Slate Digital, Komplete, Omnisphere 2, LASS, CineSamples, Chipsounds, V Collection 5[color]
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

There's still way too many VI's and plugs that I use that are not "officially working" in El Cap.
Not working in El Cap or not working in Logic in El Cap?

Just for kicks, I opened Logic Plugin Manager and rescanned the AUs that failed last time. This time, only the following Izotope AUs failed: RX 3 Advanced, RX 4 Advanced, Ozone 6 Advanced, Nectar 2 and Iris 2.

Everything else passed including all of my NI plus the following from Izotope: Nectar 1 (aka Elements), iDrum, Ozone 5 Advanced, Ozone 7 Advanced, Trash 2 and Alloy 2.

All passed in DP 7, 8 and 9.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Put 10.11.1 on my laptop. Everything worked. As Jim says, it feels like everything is running better.

Glitches: Logic rechecked the AUs and a few of them failed, but they passed on a second run. I find that happens all the time with Logic. DP has no such issues, and neither did DSP-Q. A few items from the App Store were reported as corrupt, and I was advised to delete them and reinstall.

But later, the first time I restarted it, the Mac stalled during the loading of the OS. I used the recovery partition to start up and tested the startup drive. It reported that it had completed, but didn't tell me the result of the test, and it reported that the disk has 500G of "Other" files (no apps, no documents, etc.) Strange and disconcerting.

Then went on to reinstall OS X. Seems fine now, but after that, I'm leery of going through the same experience on my main system unless it works without exception for a few days.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

bayswater wrote: A few items from the App Store were reported as corrupt, and I was advised to delete them and reinstall.
I had this happen yesterday and today as well, and it turns out it was a security certificate expiration that has (hopefully) been fixed. http://www.macworld.com/article/3004937 ... tk.rss_all
828x MacOS 13.6.6 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

cuttime wrote:
bayswater wrote: A few items from the App Store were reported as corrupt, and I was advised to delete them and reinstall.
I had this happen yesterday and today as well, and it turns out it was a security certificate expiration that has (hopefully) been fixed. http://www.macworld.com/article/3004937 ... tk.rss_all
Great. I thought my copy of Snippets was corrupt and ended up spending $27 and switching over to Typinator. The latter seems to work better, however, so maybe I'll stay with Typinator. Didn't need to spend $27 for no reason however. :(
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
David Polich

Post by David Polich »

Gravity Jim wrote:Here's a good reason to upgrade, if you're wondering:

El Capitan is not a feature-creep upgrade. The focus seems to have been on efficiency and performance. Every application on my Mac opens faster, responds faster, pushes through instructions faster. DP, Word, Safari, Mail, Quickbooks.... everything I run on a daily basis just runs better. It's been many days since the install (I waited until 10.11.1 because of problems in the beta that didn't really get fixed in the release), and I can still feel the performance upgrade every time I use it.

Everything on my signature list works. I know there are still some apps or plugs that are said to be problematic, soil you're running those, by all means wait. But NI, Waves, Slate, Arturia, everything I have is running super-great.
Yes, but how "fast" do things need to be? For me, I really don't need things to run faster, I just need them to run without problems. My Yosemite-based system runs great right now. I have no
reason to "jump out of a perfectly good airplane without a parachute" right now, as Mark Schmieder so aptly put it awhile ago.

I'll likely install El Cap on my 2009 Macbook in five or six months and test how it runs on that, since it isn't my primary music computer. If it works okay on that, then I'll install it on my 2010 Quadcore.

Maybe.
2019 Mac Pro 8-core, 32GB RAM, Mac OS Ventura, MIDI Express 128, Apogee Duet 3, DP 11.2x, Waves, Slate , Izotope, UAD, Amplitube 5, Tonex, Spectrasonics, Native Instruments, Pianoteq, Soniccouture, Arturia, Amplesound, Acustica, Reason Objekt, Plasmonic, Vital, Cherry Audio, Toontrack, BFD, Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha Montage M6, Korg Kronos X61, Alesis Ion,Sequential Prophet 6, Sequential OB-6, Hammond XK5, Yamaha Disklavier MK 3 piano.
http://www.davepolich.com
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

cuttime wrote:
Thanks for reporting this. I was afraid my (new) SSD was failing.
I'm finding a lot of little bugs in 10.11, e.g. the cursor disappears sometimes from the launch page, and the Finder can only see the first 8.192 files in a folder, Family sharing in iBooks doesn't work, Screen Sharing is erratic, and so on. None of these things are show stoppers, and I'm sure they'll get fixed, but I'm I'm less and less impressed with Apple's QC with OS X, and with Logic. Wonder if things are any better over in Windows land? Wouldn't that be ironic?
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

bayswater wrote:the Finder can only see the first 8.192 files in a folder...
Did you mean the first 8,192 files? Since it would be hard to display 0.192 files. Still, displaying only the first 8,192 files is a huge problem for me. I've got many folders with over 40,000 files. I do time-lapse photos and turn them into movies. (one of many avocations) Of course, I could divide them into smaller groups and put them into individual folders, but that would kind of negate the convenience of having them all in one big folder.

Is this a universal bug? Or is it intermittent, or circumstantial? Does it happen in all folders on all hard drives, or is it just on the system drive? I was about to pull the trigger on El Capitan, but this causes me a double take to reconsider.
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Yes. 8,192. Been in Europe for three weeks, and inadvertently adopted metric notation.

I don't know if this is universal. I was copying a lot of jpgs and whenever I selected more than about 6,000, the Finder reported the number of files to be copied or moved as twice the number selected. Whenever I tried to copy more than 8,192, only 8,192 were actually copied. Running some Unix commands to rename file resulted in errors if the folder had more than 8,192 files.

I've managed to restore my system by reinstalling 10.11.1 for the third time after trying to figure out if Trim is working. That's it, enough. For me and my MBP, El Cap either works, and works well, or it doesn't work at all. Too much of the latter. I'm going to try to install Yosemite over El Cap and let it go.
Timeline

Post by Timeline »

Baywater, I wish you big luck on the OS X Step-back. I have held off even going on to 11 and your experience report helps me hold in pattern. Apple has continuously made changes which cost us time and money, especially where our VI's are concerned. I hope you post your issues and return here continuing your posts as I just don't have the patience to make the leap with my projects. Especially since I'm recovering from a 5 vein bypass and can take no more grief at this time. Cheers, GB
2009 Intel 12 core 3.46, 64GB, OSX.10.14.6, Mojave, DP11, MTPAV, Key-station 49,(2) RME FF800,
DA-3000 DSF-5.6mhz, Mackie Control. Hofa DDP Pro, FB@ http://www.facebook.com/garybrandt2
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

bayswater wrote:Yes. 8,192. Been in Europe for three weeks, and inadvertently adopted metric notation.

I don't know if this is universal. I was copying a lot of jpgs and whenever I selected more than about 6,000, the Finder reported the number of files to be copied or moved as twice the number selected. Whenever I tried to copy more than 8,192, only 8,192 were actually copied. Running some Unix commands to rename file resulted in errors if the folder had more than 8,192 files.

I've managed to restore my system by reinstalling 10.11.1 for the third time after trying to figure out if Trim is working. That's it, enough. For me and my MBP, El Cap either works, and works well, or it doesn't work at all. Too much of the latter. I'm going to try to install Yosemite over El Cap and let it go.
An OS update is one of those situations that qualifies you for free support. I'd be on the phone with Apple on this one.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

I reinstalled 10.11 two more times, to no avail. For whatever reason, it will not create a bootable systems on my MBP. I've given up, created a Yosemite install disk on a USB drive, split my drive into two partitions, and installed Y on second. It cannot use Migration Assistant to move files from the EC partition to the Y partition, and I'm don't want to let Time Machine bring things in from a backup for fear that it will bring whatever pooched my system in the first place. Spent a lot of time copying user files, library folders, etc from EC to Y, reinstalling apps, setting up prefs, importing mail folders, rescuing files like jpegs from libraries that had been updated, and so on. Looks like a lot of things are not backward compatible in this update.

Now I have a system that will restart.

Mike, you were right: Trim Support shows now as "No".

One residual issue I'll have to call Apple about: about half of my App Store purchase no longer show in the Purchased list.

Maybe when I'm done, and in a better frame of mind, I'll call Apple support and see if the EC partition can be fixed. Otherwise, I'll wipe it, and use it as a test partition, or maybe try out Windows 10.

EC is the worst experience I've had with an Apple product since the failure of the 40Mb drive on an LC.
Tonio

Post by Tonio »

wow, guess I'll put a red X on my ElCap installer thumb drive and hide it for 6months?

I didn't get Yosemite as a appstore download in time, but in a panic found a site that offered for free download. Tested on ext HD and is a good installer -phew 8) testing continues.
Mac Studio MAX 2TB/ 64GB RAM / DP11.2 / 828ES//
MP 5.1 3.33- 3 duo / OS10.14.6 / RX580 /DP10.13/828ES