Working with AppleProRes 422 in Digital performer

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
_Ddan_
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Working with AppleProRes 422 in Digital performer

Post by _Ddan_ »

I'm on MAvericks on a MacPro 4.1 with 32 GBRAM and additional USB3 slots whre my various film is stored
With my FinalCutPro7 file open, Digital Performer 8.2 asks me to convert to AIFF WAVE etc files my MOV sequences
All of them are AppleProRes 422 files and the Audio Codec is PCM S16 LE (sowt)
DP tells me it cannot read this Audio Codec although the conversion from the original Canon files was through Apple Converter ---
How can I use DP and edit thenSound Track as FCP7 is really Poor on that score?
I converted the sound files in Quicktime/ to AIFF but as I am asked to keep FCP7 opened DP reads the MOV content
I am unwilling to change the Audio files to AIFF to allow DP to recognize the sound codec
Is there another way?
This is a movie with many cuts, fades and transitions ----
ANy hints?
Thanks
Dan
Killahurts

Re: Working with AppleProRes 422 in Digital performer

Post by Killahurts »

_Ddan_ wrote: I am unwilling to change the Audio files to AIFF to allow DP to recognize the sound codec
Is there another way?
Why?

It's been a while since I used FCP 7, I'm on the moving target that is FCP X.

But it seems to me you could use Compressor to convert the audio to something high quality, like 24 bit PCM, and set the Pro Res video to "Pass Through". Then convert the audio back to the odd format when you're through editing. If you do it right, you shouldn't loose any significant quality.. but I have never heard of that audio format, so your moves may vary..
DP11, 2019 16-Core Mac Pro, Monterey, 64GB RAM. RME HDSPe MADI FX to SSL Alphalink to SSL Matrix console, and multiple digital sub consoles. UAD Quad PCIe. Outboard stuff.
_Ddan_

Post by _Ddan_ »

Hi thanks for your suggestion, I shortened my explanation why I didnìt want to convert to AIFF using instead the PCM audio format as given with compressor with the PRORES codec. I was probably misleading doing so. Is not a matter of sound quality which is really not very different, but rather the time involved in doing it
For DP to understand the XML files they need to be in the sequences as audio tracks, hence I need to replace every single cut finding the new in out points.
I converted my original footage filmed on a Canon, with compressor using The PRORES codec which as audio uses PCM 16. Maybe this codec is not what DP understands, and here is the problem.
Changing the audio format in each cut to allow DP to show me the video while mixing again means basically edit the whole film (121 minutes long with hundred of cuts).
I didn't move to FCPX because I couldn't believe Apple created a brand new software totally ignoring whatever user did using FCP. Also assuming FCPX has great audio mixing functions, it doesn't import FCP files, and this is a grat gift from Apple computers to people who supported and bought their hardware software combos since 1985.
I used FCP from the first version, and I have tons of files which I could reuse in the future for my documentary nonfiction work. As things are I cant. Although I kept a sequence of hardware and systems dating back to the original Macintosh and its various reincarnation as decades went by,
Assuming FCPX has the greatest audio mixing funtionalities, it doensìt import FCP project. Apple computers decided not to bother with this. (thank you Apple).
I have no interest in discussing what software is best and or what returns more to the user. Everyone uses what they find appropriate to their needs. I am sure FCPX is a great program, but its learning curve doesn't give me the time to switch.
I bought Premiere because it's closer to the original FCP, has a very short learning curve, yet mainly because it imports more or less my enormous amount of files allowing me to keep me editing the way I'm familiar with. I am a film maker I am not interested in software per se.
For this reason going through another Compressor process to give Digital Performer the files needed to read the audio, while possible, still means basically reediting again from scratch, as FCP7 will tell me the new files are different from the original hence I will need to cut everything again. I dont have this time ... I have deadlines and new jobs following.
I hoped there was a plugin or something similar for Digital Performer able to read the XML files from FCP7 and the Apple PRORES format both as audio and video but as nobody suggests maybe this is just impossible the way I hoped it could be ....
Thanks anyway, was very kind of you to read my question and give suggestions.
Regards
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Usually, the problem is that DP 8 can read the XML from FCP7 but not from FCPX:

http://www.motunation.com/forum/viewtop ... P7#p486673
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
_Ddan_

Post by _Ddan_ »

Well ... my FCPxml files are fromFCP7
I dont use FCPX
DP doesnt seem to like PROres codes
is there some other software wich would allow me to see the video and mix the various audio tracks?
Killahurts

Post by Killahurts »

_Ddan_ wrote:Well ... my FCPxml files are fromFCP7
I dont use FCPX
DP doesnt seem to like PROres codes
is there some other software wich would allow me to see the video and mix the various audio tracks?
What was the audio format? PCM S16 LE (sowt)? What does that mean? I'm not trying to be confrontational, I just don't understand why Prores 422 video would have an audio option like that. There must be a way to convert these files to a more universal format, particularly if they're already some sort of PCM. But converting them "in place" to something more universal will require using FCP 7, and/or with Compressor. Then you can export the xml and DP will sync up. Mike is right, only FCP X has the broken XLM (Apple made a "new" XML format, that nothing else in the world works with). But FCP 7 should do all of this perfectly, once you've replaced your audio format in FCP 7.
DP11, 2019 16-Core Mac Pro, Monterey, 64GB RAM. RME HDSPe MADI FX to SSL Alphalink to SSL Matrix console, and multiple digital sub consoles. UAD Quad PCIe. Outboard stuff.