Collaboration speed bump

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
kdhymes
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Collaboration speed bump

Post by kdhymes »

I'm collaborating with a friend in another city. We both use DP9 on iMacs, I'm using an audio express interface, he's using a higher end interface. The basic collaboration is easy, once we got the time and tempo stamping of soundbites down, then we just use Dropbox to share them, and drop them into separately maintained sequences at each location. Once in a while, however, it is helpful to screen share to deal with little things that come up. When doing this, the audio is "ducked," or at least in some manner the output of tracks is drastically lessened locally on either iMac.

It is of course possible to jack everything up, but inconvenient and it sounds a bit compromised. While the screen sharing is not essential, and most reasons for us doing it do not strictly require normal audio playback, it would be nice to have a seamless solution to this. Anyone know a way of disabling the audio ducking that seems to be initiated by the native screen sharing app?

Best wishes

Ken Hymes
Shooshie

Re: Collaboration speed bump

Post by Shooshie »

Sounds like something for avoiding feedback loops. Have you asked about it in Apple or Mac forums? I'm not saying you won't find the answer here, but you're probably more likely to find someone who has run across it in a Mac forum somewhere.

You've got me curious, now. That would be a pretty handy thing to have control over.

Shoosh
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
kdhymes

Re: Collaboration speed bump

Post by kdhymes »

Shooshie: yep, I'm sure you're right that it's intended to avoid feedback. Obviously that's not an issue if both use phones, but Apple no doubt figures that's less usual, and almost definitely didn't consider DAW users wanting to screen share in this context. I'll take your suggestion and post on a Mac or apple forum, though I expect I'll get all manner of odd scolds and sidetracks :D . Maybe someone will point me in the right direction though...

Best wishes

Ken Hymes