El Capitan and Cuemix

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
yamguitar
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

El Capitan and Cuemix

Post by yamguitar »

Tried out El Capitan this afternoon. Everything seemed kosher... DP 9 fired up fine, even Kontakt as a plugin, which was my main concern (there were some Native Instruments AU problems in beta, and NI still recommends not installing El Capitan yet). Reason 8 also worked normally. But when I tried to fire up MOTU Cuemix, it wouldn't launch. Haven't gotten to troubleshoot yet, just letting folks know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
4 GHz Intel Core i7 iMac Retina 5K, 32GB RAM, OS 12.7.4 • MOTU M6 • DP 11.31, Reason 12.7.4, Dorico Elements 5.1
yamguitar

Re: El Capitan and Cuemix

Post by yamguitar »

Reinstalled MOTU Audio Installer v1.6.64254 from their website. Trying to launch Cuemix led to a very long beachball, during which the force quit window told me the application wasn't responding. After grinding for just under 30 seconds, Cuemix finally launched, and a quick check showed it seemed to be working normally. Quitting the program led to another beachball, shorter than launch but still much, MUCH longer than usual. On Yosemite (and prior OSs) Cuemix would launch and quit practically instantaneously. I'm glad it's (apparently) working, but I'm not sure what the issue is.

MOTU warns that they're still getting the bugs out of El Capitan in regards to USB interfaces; mine is a legacy firewire interface (original Traveler). MOTU is expecting to have updated drivers out very soon; I'll write them and hopefully this will be addressed also.
4 GHz Intel Core i7 iMac Retina 5K, 32GB RAM, OS 12.7.4 • MOTU M6 • DP 11.31, Reason 12.7.4, Dorico Elements 5.1
papageno

Post by papageno »

MOTU has not mentioned anything about FW interfaces. I did test my UltraLite mk3 FW interface with 10.11 and it works fine. Didn't try Cuemix though.
+372 56222285
yamguitar

Post by yamguitar »

Yeah, sorry if I was unclear... FW stuff is supposed to be okay, and my FW interface is working normally; although I do wonder if communication between Cuemix and the Traveler is being hampered somehow. Even changes of output in Cuemix result in a beachball and significant delay.
yamguitar

Post by yamguitar »

HA HAAAAAA!!! Problem solved!!

Don't know if this was always set so and just hadn't been an issue until now or if the setting got overwritten by El Capitan, but this suggestion from Sweetwater Music's Mac Optimization Guide for Yosemite did the trick! Now the Cuemix panel launches before the icon even fades from the screen, and output switching is immediate:

Disable FireWire Networking
This optimization can help free up bandwidth in the firewire bus and allow FireWire devices to work more efficiently.
  • •Open System Preferences.
    •Click “Network.”
    •On the left hand sidebar, click on FireWire/Built-In FireWire/Thunderbolt FireWire.
    •Click on the drop-down menu for “Configure IPv4″ and choose Off.
    •Click Apply and restart your computer.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Interesting! I don't have any Firewire devices other than my old LiquidMix, but it might be worthwhile to look at it and shut it off anyway.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
kshvine

Post by kshvine »

I've been waiting over a year for "MOTU Video Setup" and my V4HD to become Yosemite compatible, very disappointing. The video setup doesn't change often so I've been able to get by via front-panel controls. However, Cuemix is critical for controling V4HD audio and I'm going to hold off El Capitan upgrade until.... sigh.
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

yamguitar wrote:

Disable FireWire Networking
This optimization can help free up bandwidth in the firewire bus and allow FireWire devices to work more efficiently.

• •Open System Preferences.
    •Click “Network.”
    •On the left hand sidebar, click on FireWire/Built-In FireWire/Thunderbolt FireWire.
    •Click on the drop-down menu for “Configure IPv4″ and choose Off.
    •Click Apply and restart your computer.

I'm gonna' try this with Mountain Lion. Thanks Yam, and Sweetwater!