DP9 stability, etc....compared to DP7

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
yamguitar
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: DP9 stability, etc....compared to DP7

Post by yamguitar »

My iMac is an 3.06 GHz Intel Core Duo from 2009, and it handles DP9 with ease. Seems like it used to be that as new versions of software came out, an aging computer would have more and more trouble handling the latest code as things got more and more bloated and complex. However, over the past few years, as 64 bit has really taken hold and I've ditched everything that isn't coded for it, I'm finding that my computer is actually performing better than ever... I suppose that now all of my RAM upgrades are actually being used to their true potential. I'm personally finding DP9 to be as stable as any other good iteration of DP I've tried.
4 GHz Intel Core i7 iMac Retina 5K, 32GB RAM, OS 12.7.4 • MOTU M6 • DP 11.31, Reason 12.7.4, Dorico Elements 5.1
Clevelandrawks

Post by Clevelandrawks »

Can anyone confirm 9 is equally as stable with the Yosemite?
I have been running DP since 3.0 and keeping up with updates in OSX and DP over the years . I put off DP9 until I saw at least one update (9.01) and then downloaded. Installed fine, opened fine. But when i started working on a project where I was bouncing mp3's to disc, it would crash on about every third bounce or so, after the processing was done.

So the oldest trick in the book I suppose. "Repaired Disc Permissions" on the MAC HD and it helped a lot. Not completely, but now it only crashes about every 15 bounces out of the same project file.

The only other issue i have found with this combination, is that when I open the "Soundbite Window" to grab a file, it opens a new window of that file, then crashes.

Next thing I may do is re-instal DP 9.01, clean preferences and try that. But otherwise I like DP9's performance and my CPU load in my Activity monitor only runs around 20-25% with 15 stereo tracks, 8 mono, 4 instances of Kontakt and two of Omnishpere-2 with EQ plugs and limiters on most channels and tracks. Very solid.

So other than those very minor issues, DP 9 is gold so far. (Just being sure to hit Apple/s a lot however)
MAC pro quad-core, 32GB memory, OS X 10.11.3, DP 9.01, Protools 11.3, Logic Pro X, REAPER, RX5, Altiverb-7, Speakerphone 2 and WAVElab 8. 10TB of raid, plugs, plugs and more plugs.
daveyboy

Post by daveyboy »

I just "resurrected" DP and upgraded from 7.24 to 9.01. I couldn't get 7.24 to run reliably in Yosemite. I'm very happy with DP 9. Running the latest version of 32 Lives has enabled old projects with 32 bit plugins to open with little problems. Speaking of plugins, DP's new plugins are really great. I'd suggest trying the demo if you're on the fence.
Dave
www.dbwproductions.com
10 core IMac w/128 gbs ram, DP11, Logic10x and PT 12, 4 room commercial studio (tuned by Bob Hodas) great for producers and composers!
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

My iMac is an 3.06 GHz Intel Core Duo from 2009, and it handles DP9 with ease.
Your machine is the easiest iMac to update to an SSD and replace the NV RAM battery. Most of the step-by-step instructions can be avoided if you know the tricks – also lessens the chance of making a mistake.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by Topo »

...and mine is the most difficult ....at least to replace the battery....thus, OWC has done the work for me (at the good advise of Mike ;o) Only problem is I have to wait until Monday for shipping to deliver it from there. Anxious to fire up the new SSD and get it all cookin again.

From what I have gathered from this thread, DP9 appears to be as stable as 7. In fact, it should be much better given the fact that there's 64 bit architecture now. BUT, I will NOT be using El Cap...have that loaded on my work iMac and it has bogged down lots of things as well as caused other stuff to simply not work. I have to wipe me work machine and go back to Yosemite.
mikehalloran wrote:
My iMac is an 3.06 GHz Intel Core Duo from 2009, and it handles DP9 with ease.
Your machine is the easiest iMac to update to an SSD and replace the NV RAM battery. Most of the step-by-step instructions can be avoided if you know the tricks – also lessens the chance of making a mistake.
i7 2.93ghz iMac SSD & 16gb•DP7.2/9•StudioLive1642•Joe Meek 3Q•ADK Humburg T-67•ADK Vienna•Rode NT2•Taylor GS Koa limited•'71 Gibson Hummingbird•Fender Strat Plus w/lace sensors•Fender P bass•JBL 2325's•MOTU microlite•Tascam DAT•Alesis QS8•Yamaha U3•Ravenscroft 275 VI•Nord Piano•Specialized Stumpjumper Elite
kgdrum

Post by kgdrum »

Topo wrote:Thanks Robert. Is your iMac beefy enough to handle plugins, etc? I've got an older i7, and sometimes it's a bit stretched to run omnisphere, Trillian and my Ravenscroft piano....but, it does it. I just had to disable the warning that says you're exceeding limits.

If you have the ability to run DP9 in the 64 bit Kernel on your iMac and have more than the minimal amount of ram you should see a nice improvement in your iMac handling plugins and VI's. Of course ymmv but imo DP 8 or DP9 running in the 64 bit Kernel gets you past the 4 gig ram limitation in a 32 bit app like DP7 and imo will be beneficial in this regard.
2012 Mac Pro 3.46GHz 12 core 96 gig,Mojave, DP11.01,Logic 10.51, RME UCX,Great River ME-1NV,a few microphones,UAD2, Komplete 12U,U-he,Omni & way too many VI's,Synths & FX galore!, Mimic Pro w/ SD3,Focal Twin 6 monitors, Shunyata...........