DP9 stability, etc....compared to DP7

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

DP9 stability, etc....compared to DP7

Post by Topo »

Contemplating an upgrade to DP9 from 7, which has been rock solid on Snow Leopard. Can anyone confirm 9 is equally as stable with the Yosemite? Obviously there are little bugs here and there, but, overall, 7 has been incredibly great, all around.
i7 2.93ghz iMac SSD & 16gb•DP7.2/9•StudioLive1642•Joe Meek 3Q•ADK Humburg T-67•ADK Vienna•Rode NT2•Taylor GS Koa limited•'71 Gibson Hummingbird•Fender Strat Plus w/lace sensors•Fender P bass•JBL 2325's•MOTU microlite•Tascam DAT•Alesis QS8•Yamaha U3•Ravenscroft 275 VI•Nord Piano•Specialized Stumpjumper Elite
Robert Randolph
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: DP9 stability, etc....compared to DP7

Post by Robert Randolph »

I skipped DP7, however I've used everything since V3.

DP 9 is the most stable in my experience thus far, in that I have not had a single crash with it except for once when loading the new update (hasn't happened since).

Every other version I've had various crashes leading up to some golden version (X.0y usually).

I have heard from various people though that v7 was a fantastic version as far as stability goes, and obviously a lot of this is system dependent. So YMMV and such.

Post by Topo »

Thanks Robert. Is your iMac beefy enough to handle plugins, etc? I've got an older i7, and sometimes it's a bit stretched to run omnisphere, Trillian and my Ravenscroft piano....but, it does it. I just had to disable the warning that says you're exceeding limits.
i7 2.93ghz iMac SSD & 16gb•DP7.2/9•StudioLive1642•Joe Meek 3Q•ADK Humburg T-67•ADK Vienna•Rode NT2•Taylor GS Koa limited•'71 Gibson Hummingbird•Fender Strat Plus w/lace sensors•Fender P bass•JBL 2325's•MOTU microlite•Tascam DAT•Alesis QS8•Yamaha U3•Ravenscroft 275 VI•Nord Piano•Specialized Stumpjumper Elite
Robert Randolph

Topo wrote:Thanks Robert. Is your iMac beefy enough to handle plugins, etc? I've got an older i7, and sometimes it's a bit stretched to run omnisphere, Trillian and my Ravenscroft piano....but, it does it. I just had to disable the warning that says you're exceeding limits.
I work primarily with recorded audio, and I have no issues with CPU power in this realm.

I can't say much for working with softsynths and samplers, however in my limited experience I have wished for a bit more power at times. When working with large sample libraries (which I record and edit), it can require a beefier system to utilize them fully.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

DP 7.24 with OS 10.6.8 was probably the most stable I've seen (back to 4.6). But DP 9.01 with OS 10.10.5 is a close second, and I get fewer issues with things like channel names, bundles and other things related to general under the hood audio stuff. I've had the odd crash, but I was able to trace it to a plugin.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

bayswater wrote:DP 7.24 with OS 10.6.8 was probably the most stable I've seen (back to 4.6). But DP 9.01 with OS 10.10.5 is a close second, and I get fewer issues with things like channel names, bundles and other things related to general under the hood audio stuff. I've had the odd crash, but I was able to trace it to a plugin.
What Bays said, except I haven't had any crashes yet. The color wheel started spinning after a take yesterday, and I prepared the singer to have to do the take over, but then it caught up with itself, and all was well. That was a one-time thing. In fact, I think it was waiting on disks to spin up. I turned off the "put drives to sleep" option in the System Prefs after that, and had no more trouble, so that's probably all it was. (sometimes I forget to do that at first)

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|

Post by Topo »

Shooshie wrote: What Bays said, except I haven't had any crashes yet.........

Shooshie
Do you think DP9 is any more demanding on processor power? I was tossing around the idea of up'ing to a newer iMac. I've got the i7 model before Thunderbolt came out....however, it's another chunk of change that's probably unnecessary.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

I think you'll find a lot of disagreement on DP 9's processing demands. I find it less demanding -- others find it more demanding. Initially, I had a lot screen update problems but I just nudged down the max work percent setting and things are fine. Hard to be sure though because I made the change to Yosemite about the same time, and got a new non MOTU interface. Logic, MixBuss and DSP-Q all seem a bit more efficient too. Apple says 10.11 is snappier, so looking forward to that. My iMac is about six years old, maybe the same one as yours, so this is all great for me; I have no reason to replace it.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
Robert Randolph

Topo wrote:

Shooshie
Do you think DP9 is any more demanding on processor power? I was tossing around the idea of up'ing to a newer iMac. I've got the i7 model before Thunderbolt came out....however, it's another chunk of change that's probably unnecessary.
DP9 is better than DP6 or 8 for me on the same system with the same plugins.

I'm not sure why at all.
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Topo wrote:

Shooshie
I see the performance meters and my "MenuMeters" (CPU meters running in a utility in the menu-bar) moving a little more than they did in DP8. I'm not sure that means anything. Seriously; CPU performance meters do not always mean what one would be inclined to think they mean.

I'm using OS X 10.10.5 and DP 9.01. So far it's been magic. Really, it's been great.

I had been away from DP all summer, kind of on a forced leave of absence. I just wanted time off and away from DP, to which I've been joined at the hip since 1986, and MOTU's Composer before that. So, when I came back about a month ago, or less, I installed DP9, followed almost immediately by DP9.01, and started working within minutes. I have yet to sit down with it and go through all the new features and changes. There hasn't been a single crash, all my files work like they are supposed to, all my new stuff is going down flawlessly, and I'm happening upon little surprises all the time. Today it was the Plate Reverb, which I haven't used in years, and I find out that it has a whole new interface. Maybe that's been there for a while; I don't know, but I sure like it. That reverb is amazing. It gets a sound I cannot get in Altiverb. I may write a post about that.

Anyway, hitting the ground running, installing, and working without even taking the time to see what you've done is not something I normally recommend, but it just worked. DP continues to blow me away with its fricking awesomeness. (Damn! My fanboy biases are showing again!!!)

I hereby rate this DP 9.01 update the maximum allowable: Five Unicorns!
:unicorn: :unicorn: :unicorn: :unicorn: :unicorn:

Shoosh
PS: the last and only other time I've rated an update with 5 unicorns was DP7.0, the best dot-aught upgrade to this day.
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|

Post by Topo »

Shooshie wrote: I hereby rate this DP 9.01 update the maximum allowable: Five Unicorns!
:unicorn: :unicorn: :unicorn: :unicorn: :unicorn:

Shoosh
PS: the last and only other time I've rated an update with 5 unicorns was DP7.0, the best dot-aught upgrade to this day.

Nice to hear Shoosh.....I'm in the same situation having been off DP since my last project many months ago, but things are shifting and I'll be crackin at it again soon. For now I'll stick with my iMac and hope for the best with performance.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

i7 2.93ghz iMac 1tb
That should be a 2010 like mine.

I believe that the only differences between the 2009 and 2010 iMac i7 are CPU speed and the 2010 having an extra internal SATA buss. There may be minor GPU differences as well.

As I have posted earlier, each succeeding OS release has made mine perform better. 10.9 lowered the operating temperature – replacing the internal HD with an SSD has made it run even cooler and the speed bump was nice.

I'd like to justify an upgrade on a need basis but really, I can't. My 2010 is the best Mac I have ever owned.

The 2011, however, has Thunderbolt and is easier to replace the HD and much, much easier to replace the NV RAM battery.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

I like my current Mac Pro (2012) a lot, but Mavericks and Yosemite kind of broke a lot of things for a while. Some are still not working 100% the way they were supposed to work (Quicklook in the Finder, for example, and Mail is currently almost unusable because something is making it run super-slow), but I tend to forget the problems and get excited about things that ARE working. DP is one of those things. It just gets better with each release.

The one thing that perplexes me is why Apple released Thunderbolt in the 2012 iMacs and MacBook Pros, but not in the Mac Pro of the same year. One of these days I'm going to have to get a new Mac Pro just because of Thunderbolt. Also, USB 3. No excuse for not including it. I'm guessing we can get PCI cards, but it seems there are more trade-offs doing it that way.

Shoosh
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

The one thing that perplexes me is why Apple released Thunderbolt in the 2012 iMacs and MacBook Pros, but not in the Mac Pro of the same year.
The only thing that makes sense is that the new Mac Pro was already in development.

Still, with the rest of the Apple line embracing SATA III and TB in 2011 and adding USB 3 in 2012, Apple should have released a transitional Mac Pro or two for those years.

I wonder if the EU declaring it non-compliant had anything to do with it but wasn't that mid-2012?
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
kassonica

Post by kassonica »

Topo wrote:Contemplating an upgrade to DP9 from 7, which has been rock solid on Snow Leopard. Can anyone confirm 9 is equally as stable with the Yosemite? Obviously there are little bugs here and there, but, overall, 7 has been incredibly great, all around.
I'm still on that combo.... so stable....
Creativity, some digital stuff and analogue things that go boom. crackle, bits of wood with strings on them that go twang