Bounce to Quicktime and loss of audio quality

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
massimosammi
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by massimosammi »

Hello,
I'm trying to export the final mix to Quicktime and I have a big loss of the audio quality.
I have printed the mix as a wav file in the sequence, I select it and bounce to QT.
If I open the file in QT and check the inspector of the movie, turns out that the format is AAC, and the quality is really lower than the wav file in the sequence. Is there a way I can control the specs of the audio in the QT bounce? Am I doing something wrong?
Thanks!
mikehalloran

Re: Bounce to Quicktime and loss of audio quality

Post by mikehalloran »

Bounce to Disk as a .wav file first.You can then drop it into QuickTime.

QuickTime 10 is limited compared QuickTime 7.6.6 for audio.

QT 7.6.6 can be downloaded free from Apple still.
https://support.apple.com/kb/DL923?locale=en_US
It installs in your Utilities Folder so that it doesn't clash with QT 10, part of the OS.

If you ever had OS 10.5, you might have QT 7.7 installed somewhere. 'Find it and send to Trash. It no longer works and 7.6.6 may not work if 7.7 is present.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
massimosammi

Post by massimosammi »

Thanks Mike, I have QT Pro and that's what I generally use.
I already used that procedure, but the file sounded still weird, with pops and cracks, after I dropped it into the QT video.
I ended up using iMovie, I bounced the video in DP without audio, selecting the final mix soundbite and muting it, and then I exported the wav file so that they were of the same length, then dropped them both in iMovie and it worked. The audio is still AAC but at least it doesn't have the distortion in the low end it had when I bounced to video in DP.
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

I thought DP would ALWAYS BTD to a QT according to whatever the project is set to (i.e., WAV, 24-44,1) :?

This actually has annoyed me, since I´ve always wanted a way to choose, in the BTD dialog, the audio format I want for the audio part of the QT (usually mp3 to send stuff for client revision).
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
Killahurts

Post by Killahurts »

FMiguelez wrote:I thought DP would ALWAYS BTD to a QT according to whatever the project is set to (i.e., WAV, 24-44,1) :?
It used to be that way.. we lost that functionality, AAC is the only option. I used to hit one button, now I have to bounce it separately and glue them together in FCP X or whatever. :shake:

Big. Waste. Of. Time.
DP11, 2019 16-Core Mac Pro, Monterey, 64GB RAM. RME HDSPe MADI FX to SSL Alphalink to SSL Matrix console, and multiple digital sub consoles. UAD Quad PCIe. Outboard stuff.
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Yeah, when they dropped the quicktime engine it dumbed down so much stuff in the export options. I really miss referenced movies and don't appreciate having to bounce a few 2 hours films to send a copy to a producer. It also eats up a lot of disk space. I know, disks are cheap, but why just clutter it up with self-contained movies when a perfectly good referenced movie is there. I wonder if I make the DP movie a referenced movie if it would BTD as such? I doubt it, but maybe I'll try it if I get bored.
Last edited by MIDI Life Crisis on Sat Sep 26, 2015 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Killahurts

Post by Killahurts »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:Yeah, when they dropped the quicktime engine it dumbed down so much stuff in the export options. I really miss referenced movies and don't appreciate having to bounce a few 2 hours films to send a copy to a producer. It also eats up a lot of disk space. I know, disks are cheap, but why just clutter it up with self-contained movies when a perfectly good referenced movie is there. I wonder if I make the DP movie a referenced movie if it would BTD as such? I doubt it, but maybe I'll try it if I get bored.
You're right, disks are cheap, and getting cheaper by the day.. but I only can have so many of them attached to my computer at a time, and video eats it up fast. Man, I forgot about referenced movies.. I used those all the time back in the day.

Wonder why they would drop the QT engine and bust us down so far? I've been mixing a concert this summer, and I don't want to think of how much time I've wasted getting refs back and forth with the video editor (AAC is not acceptable for this project). We need those functionalities back.
DP11, 2019 16-Core Mac Pro, Monterey, 64GB RAM. RME HDSPe MADI FX to SSL Alphalink to SSL Matrix console, and multiple digital sub consoles. UAD Quad PCIe. Outboard stuff.
MIDI Life Crisis

Watch your spelling.... LOL
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
doodles

Post by doodles »

i think he was referring to yours , MLC :shock: (your mis-spelling, obviously...!)
2*5-core 3.46 Intel xeon (32 gigs RAM), 2*dual 2.5 (16 & 32 gigs RAM), DP 8.07, WAVES 9, Lexicon plugs, SoundToys, all Spectrasonics, NI Komplete 9, Vienna Ensemble (extended), LASS, Evolve, Symphobia, etc, Cinesamples, Arturia, cinestrings, all Project Sam
MIDI Life Crisis

I ha e no idea what you're talking about... LOL.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Fixed BOTH misspellings. :)
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
Killahurts

Post by Killahurts »

James Steele wrote:Fixed BOTH misspellings. :)
:)

But seriously, we need more options for exporting movies, not less. DP had always handled audio for movies so well, better than most of the other DAWs.. it's disappointing to see it get dumbed down.. ok, rant over. :wink:
MIDI Life Crisis

I fixed my initial post as well.

Thanks.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Good. The errors might offend some, but more important, they make misleading and inaccurate claims.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
Klaus

Post by Klaus »

Killahurts wrote:
FMiguelez wrote:I thought DP would ALWAYS BTD to a QT according to whatever the project is set to (i.e., WAV, 24-44,1) :?
It used to be that way.. we lost that functionality, AAC is the only option. I used to hit one button, now I have to bounce it separately and glue them together in FCP X or whatever. :shake:

Big. Waste. Of. Time.
Anyone knows when 'It used to be that way.. ', OS, DP version ?
Could it be it was with SnowLeopard and DP 7.24 ?
...just trying to collect info...
Thanks

Klaus