Error message "Master Pointer was nil (-109)"

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
Shooshie
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Error message "Master Pointer was nil (-109)"

Post by Shooshie »

bayswater wrote:I had one or two odd things happen on my MBP with the upgrade to Yosemite, but these disappeared with the first update. On my main audio Mac (iMac), things were fine right away, and several improvements were noticeable.

It's not encouraging that experiences with Mac updates are so inconsistent.
I think it's a matter of what you do with your Mac. I collect photographs, among other things, and I like to use the Finder to keep them organized. I've tried a lot of software that does that for me, but they all have drawbacks I can't live with. The Finder, at least, has never harmed my photos or lost them. The best tool in the Finder for managing files is QuickLook. Just hit the spacebar for a quick look at the file, or hit OptionSpacebar for a full-screen slide show.

Yosemite caused QuickLook to start acting squirrelly. No longer will option-spacebar produce a full-screen slideshow. The first picture or two may go full-screen, but the rest will go back to their native size. And that even becomes weirder if they are natively larger than your screen. It's something Apple could have not broken, but since they did, it's something they could have fixed. It has not been fixed to this day. There are tricks that can sometimes make it work, but they're involved and complicated, so I won't describe them. The thing is, even those tricks have pretty much quit working. This kind of inconsistency from Apple in their OS updates is very disconcerting, but I suspect that the problem is similar for all who use Quicklook. I just find that most people don't maintain collections of hundreds of thousands of photos, so a lot of folks don't know it's not functioning properly. That's one of the things that broke, but hasn't been fixed. It works enough to use it, but the old functionality isn't there. Not as efficient.

There were other things, but I won't go into them right now. Magic Trackpad issues, being at the top of the list. Most of those are fixed now, but it took a long time.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

I wouldn't say OS X updates are perfect, just that Y was an improvement on my audio Mac over M and had no new flaws in that context (and fixed the trackpad issue). Again, what bothers me is that lack of consistency across users. For example, my problems with the trackpad were only with DP. That type of inconsistency casts doubt on the hardware-software integration argument for Macs.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

JZilla wrote:I've been on it for quite a while, and haven't had any problems of any significance (some weird iTunes behavior was about the worst of it). Everything had been working fine until yesterday morning, so who knows.
Are you kidding? I've told you what the problem is. Replace the drive.

Mechanical hard drives are cheap. WD Blue is good price/performance; Caviar Black has a longer warranty but runs hotter. Avoid the "green" drives except for Time Machine for which they are well suited. Even though Apple is using Seagate again, I still don't trust them.

SSDs are more expensive but the performance increase is huge. You can now get a 2T Samsing 850 EVO for well under $700. A 1T is around $300. The difference between the EVO and the PRO versions is 5 year verses 10 year warranty. I consider these the best bang for the buck currently.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
fypy

Post by fypy »

Hi there
Please excuse my poor english, i'm french.
I do have the same problem, after changing my mac, using the assistant for migration.
My old system was Snow Leopard, and the one installed in the new mac is Yosemite.

I have repaired permissions, re-installed DP, and done lots of things advised usually to clean and verify the Mac, and the boot drive (which is an SSD), included the terminal thing "sudo trimforce enable" ; i used Onyx and DiskWarrior to accomplish that clean-up.

But it doesn't work. The message is the same as both of you, and appears at the same moment, at the end of the boot process of DP, just after loading the plugins.

I hope that i was clear enough.
And, yes, I suspect DP 9 and the compatibility to Yosemite.
I am clearly tired of trying to make things work together, in the solitude of my home studio.

Thanks for reading

- - - - - - - - - - -
Nom du modèle : Mac Pro
Identifiant du modèle : MacPro5,1
Nom du processeur : Quad-Core Intel Xeon
Vitesse du processeur : 2,4 GHz
Nombre de processeurs : 2
Nombre total de cœurs : 8
Cache de niveau 2 (par cœur) : 256 Ko
Cache de niveau 3 (par processeur) : 12 Mo
Mémoire : 24 Go
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

A -109 error is a hardware problem.

It does not always mean that a drive is bad. Sometimes it means that the drive is not formatted properly (FAT 32 on a Mac or for a PPC on an Intel Mac).

Other times it means that you do not have privileges or permissions to write to that drive..

Sometimes it can just be a user error such as trying to save to a DVD.

Anyway, the error is not generated by DP; it is always generated by the operating system.
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
fypy

Post by fypy »

Hi there !

There is something really strange in this case.

On my computer, I have an other account, sorte of a doubloon of my primary account.
I suppose that it was created when the migration assistant did the transfer ; (i don't really know what the assistant migration does, and why it is so long btw).

The fact is that I have 2 accounts, and DP 9.01 is installed on both of the applications folders.

When i boot on account #1, and launch the DP located in the #1application folder, DP crashes with the Error message "Master Pointer was nil (-109)",
but,
when i boot on account #2, and launch the DP located in the #2application folder, DP opens normally (there are other problems however, i'm trying to fix them...).

I don't mind to believe that error -109 is conceived to single out a hardware error,
but i doesn't match in this case, isn't it ?

Have a good day
NeilBlack

Post by NeilBlack »

Yikes! this has just happened to me too. It's only affecting the project I'm currently working on though. I can't open any of the regular or autosave files in this one particular project folder. All my other DP projects are opening fine.

If the -109 error points to a problem with my system drive why is only one DP project (residing on a separate audio drive) not opening?

Thanks for any input.
DP10.1 MacPro 5.1 Hex OSX 10.14.6 24GB Ram. UA Apollo. ProAc Studio 100's. Neumann KH120's Neumann 84's / AKG / Crowley & Tripp / NTK Jolly mod. Focusrite, TLA, GAP mic pre's. Maschine 2
labman
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by labman »

Just got the exact same error. And oddly enough, we just went to Yosemite a few weeks ago. Everything had been running flawless. Then today DP booted, went thru the plug load sequence and gave the error the OP mentions. New OWC SSD system disk as of a few weeks too. It scans fine on every test we throw at it. Arghhh
AMPGUI themes - Andy rocks!, 3 macs, MacPro 768GB ram, 16core OS11.7.10, DP11.31, all Waves, all SLATE, PSP, IK multimedia & Audioease plugs, all PAlliance, Softube, tons of NI VI's all air Spitfire, all Audiobro, all Berlin, EW PLAY, LLizard, MachFive3, Kontakt5, Omnisphere, RMX, LASS, all Soundtoys, Lexicon AU's, melodyne and others I know am forgetting, cause I'm old...Also mucho outboard rigs, MTPs, DTP, antelope WC, and 4 control surfaces with Raven.
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

As someone who hasn't even updated to Yosemite yet, I'm following this thread pretty carefully. I've got a project going now, so have to wait a few more weeks.

Please follow up and keep us posted about what you learn!!
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
csavetman

Post by csavetman »

mikehalloran wrote:Apple support didn't recognize that? Really? Good grief, what do they teach them?

Either you don't have privileges to write to that drive or your hard drive has a bad spot and you found it. If you didn't do something to hose privileges or if that's your boot drive, you have a hard disk that is failing.

If you have a Time Machine backup of that drive, replace it and restore from Time Machine or other backup.

F you do not have a backup, run Repair Disk from Disk Utility from another drive. Keep running it till you have no errors, then get the data onto another drive, preferably a new one.

MacKeeper is crapware. Avoid.

-109 is not malware.
This happened to me a while back as well after installing Yosemite.

Followed this advice, ran disk repair a whole bunch of times. Bottom line…Ended up replacing system drive

Carlos
labman

Post by labman »

Okay, so I did the normal Diskwarrior, both into recovery etc. Replaced DP prefs with our clean set. Nada. Next I thought thru what had previously been done in the last DP session. I had created a new clipping folder and a new clipping, then had gone to desktop and moved some clippings around. So I went to Backup set and grabbed last DP clippings folder from inside user preferences, and replaced it on system drive and lo and behold, DP booted fine.

What does that tell us? :banghead:
AMPGUI themes - Andy rocks!, 3 macs, MacPro 768GB ram, 16core OS11.7.10, DP11.31, all Waves, all SLATE, PSP, IK multimedia & Audioease plugs, all PAlliance, Softube, tons of NI VI's all air Spitfire, all Audiobro, all Berlin, EW PLAY, LLizard, MachFive3, Kontakt5, Omnisphere, RMX, LASS, all Soundtoys, Lexicon AU's, melodyne and others I know am forgetting, cause I'm old...Also mucho outboard rigs, MTPs, DTP, antelope WC, and 4 control surfaces with Raven.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

DiskWarrior is useless and fixes nothing. Hasn't in a long time. The OS is pretty good at maintaining the directory without it. Sometimes it is useful as a diagnostic tool — if it shows a ton of errors, your drive is going bad. Replace the drive.

Disk Utility can repair things but, if you do have drive problems, they will come back. When they do, fix them again and then replace the drive.

Moving things around could mean that you are now writing to a new section of the platter. If the problem returns, replace the drive.

If the drive is over five years old, and you get -109, even if you fix the issue for now, replace the drive.

Don't ever defrag a suspected bad drive unless you have a recent backup. When it gets to the bad sectors, it can stop and never work again.
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Mike.... you're scaring your friends.... :headbang:
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

mikehalloran wrote:DiskWarrior is useless and fixes nothing.
Maybe not DiskWarrior, but disk utilities once did low level formats and marked bad sectors. What ever happened to that?
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
labman

Post by labman »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:Mike.... you're scaring your friends.... :headbang:
Yeah Mike!

As mentioned earlier, this is a brand new 3 week old SSD with tons of room.

FWIW, diskwarrior 5 told us last summer that two drives were about to go, because all their extra sectors had been used up. They had no other signs of any problems, and turns out DW5 was correct. They went down a few weeks later. Fortunately, due to the report we had others ready to roll from clones.

On other fronts though sometimes DW5 won't even 'see' that a drive is there to analyze it.

Maybe we just have two many drives. LOL