Bleep Mode

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
Todzilla
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Bleep Mode

Post by Todzilla »

Periodically, DP goes into a mode where everywhere I click in the DP windows, I get a "bleep," a "bonk" error sound, like there's an open dialog window I'm supposed to be attending to. I can't find it anywhere and ultimately have to kill DP through the finder. I've noticed when this happens, the magnifying glass is highlighted in my upper right icons and my cursor is the magnifying glass. I suspect I've inadvertently issued a command or something.

Does my description ring a bell for anyone (pun intended) and any secret key sequence to dismiss an open, yet invisible dialog window? I'm losing lots of work.

Thanks!
-Todzilla
Huge sound generation & capture facilities
On the banks of the River Eno
DP 8!!!, OSX 10.7.3, 15" MacBook Pro w 16G RAM 256G SSD & 630GHD, MOTU 896HD, MX4, Komplete 8, Apogee Symphony I/O, Neumann U-89, pair of Peluso P12s, Seventh Circle & Demeter preamps, Lava lamp, stuffed frog playing bongos
Phil O
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Bleep Mode

Post by Phil O »

That happened to me the other day. It actually was something it was waiting for, but I can't remember the details now. There was a window that was hidden behind another and it was waiting for something. If it happens again, start moving windows around and see if a background window reveals itself that needs attention.

Phil
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

Don't forget Expose or Mission control, or whatever Apple calls it now.
828x MacOS 13.6.6 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
Todzilla

Post by Todzilla »

Thanks, guys.

I tried the window move to no avail. Other programs are fine, just the DP window and associated other windows.
-Todzilla
DP 8!!!, OSX 10.7.3, 15" MacBook Pro w 16G RAM 256G SSD & 630GHD, MOTU 896HD, MX4, Komplete 8, Apogee Symphony I/O, Neumann U-89, pair of Peluso P12s, Seventh Circle & Demeter preamps, Lava lamp, stuffed frog playing bongos
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Usually it means a hidden dialog box, or else you've got the cursor in a field that must have a value or at least requires that you hit Enter. You may try the Escape Key to see if that gets you out of that field or dialog.

When it happens universally, it's usually a Mission Control issue where one virtual monitor somehow got slid a little bit to one side, but not enough for it to recenter itself. That's an Apple failing, but the fix is easy: just invoke a command to move to another Mission Control space, or on the Magic Trackpad, use four fingers to swipe it to the next space, then back again.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
philbrown

Post by philbrown »

Shooshie wrote:Usually it means a hidden dialog box, or else you've got the cursor in a field that must have a value or at least requires that you hit Enter.
That's almost always what it ends up being for me.
2020 iMac 27" 3.6GHz 10 core i9 • Mac OS 12.2.1 • DP 11.04 • UAD-8 Octo card • Midas M32R

Plugs: UAD•Slate•Scuffham•Flux IRCAM•NI Komplete•Klanghelm•Waves•Spectrasonics•Arturia•Soundtoys•Nomad Factory•PSP•Stillwell•Cytomic•Korg•Five12•GForce
Todzilla

Post by Todzilla »

Thanks guys!

The magic undo command of Esc key or four finger swoop is what I was looking for. Couldn't find the offending window anywhere.
-Todzilla