JBridge and problem plugin

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
cbergm7210
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

JBridge and problem plugin

Post by cbergm7210 »

Guys, I have a plug that JBridge converted but does not show up in DP. I've converted two and only one successfully shows up in the plugin list in DP. B4II yes, VB3 no.

Suggestions?

Mac Pro 2.66GHz Dual Quad Core Nahalem, 16 Gigs RAM, DP 9, RME Fireface 800, MOTU MIDIexpress 128, Mac OS 10.8.5

http://www.rfjmusic.com
mikehalloran

Re: JBridge and problem plugin

Post by mikehalloran »

I already told you what the problem is. If the VST does not support Cocoa graphics, you will not see it in OS 10.8 or later 64bit. J-Bridge cannot fix this.

You will need to run the AU in 32Lives as the developer recommends. 32Lives allows most Carbon AUs to be visible in OS 10.8 and later. it doesn't work on everything but does on VB3 -- in fact, they sell it as a bundle and that's how I bought both.

The free MBA plugs have the identical issue. The VSTs convert but do not appear in J-Bridge; the AUs work in 32Lives.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
cbergm7210

Post by cbergm7210 »

mikehalloran wrote:I already told you what the problem is. If the VST does not support Cocoa graphics, you will not see it in OS 10.8 or later 64bit. J-Bridge cannot fix this.

You will need to run the AU in 32Lives as the developer recommends. 32Lives allows most Carbon AUs to be visible in OS 10.8 and later. it doesn't work on everything but does on VB3 -- in fact, they sell it as a bundle and that's how I bought both.

The free MBA plugs have the identical issue. The VSTs convert but do not appear in J-Bridge but the AUs work in 32Lives.
Thanks Mike. I did mention this to the JBridge developer but he didn't seem to think that was the probably culprit. I sent him the vst and he is checking it out so I'm sure if that's it he'll let me know. The AU does load fine in VEP 32 bit server but I wanted to rule this out as it's handy to load it in DP right off.
Mac Pro 2.66GHz Dual Quad Core Nahalem, 16 Gigs RAM, DP 9, RME Fireface 800, MOTU MIDIexpress 128, Mac OS 10.8.5

cbergm7210

Post by cbergm7210 »

mikehalloran wrote:I already told you what the problem is. If the VST does not support Cocoa graphics, you will not see it in OS 10.8 or later 64bit. J-Bridge cannot fix this.

The free MBA plugs have the identical issue. The VSTs convert but do not appear in J-Bridge; the AUs work in 32Lives.
Well, looks like this probably is not the culprit as the JBridge converted VB3 vst works perfectly inside Metaplugin inside DP.

Convert VB3 with JBridge
Load Metaplugin into DP Instrument track
Load converted VB3 vst into Metaplugin

So...the question remains. Why does the B4II converted JBridge vst show up in DP's list of plugs in the preferences and not the VB3?

mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

I already told you.

If JBridge could handle the graphics conversion, then the developer would know. That he "doesn't think it's the problem..." tells me everything I need to know. That I already knew should tell you the same thing.

I don't know what metalplugin is but, let me guess, it's 64bit and can handle the graphics conversion.

The problem is not whether the plug works. It's whether or not you can access the GUI. I've been able to test this.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
cbergm7210

Post by cbergm7210 »

mikehalloran wrote:I already told you.

If JBridge could handle the graphics conversion, then the developer would know. That he "doesn't think it's the problem..." tells me everything I need to know. That I already knew should tell you the same thing.

I don't know what metalplugin is but, let me guess, it's 64bit and can handle the graphics conversion.

The problem is not whether the plug works. It's whether or not you can access the GUI. I've been able to test this.

I just tested vst VB3 with Jbridge in R***** 64 bit and it works perfectly. It seems there is an issue with the DP / JBridge / VB3 combination.

cbergm7210

Post by cbergm7210 »

mikehalloran wrote:I already told you.

I took both VB3 vst versions (regular and JBridge converted) out of their folders and put them back in one at a time. They showed up in the plugin preference list but failed to pass, so they are at a "Failed" status in the list.

But when I went to load the instrument in a VI track it is there now and it loads and works perfectly. Even though it says "Failed" in the plugin list.

Obviously there's something odd going on with DP and this plug, but it is up and running just fine so I won't complain.

bayswater

Post by bayswater »

cbergm7210 wrote:I took both VB3 vst versions (regular and JBridge converted) out of their folders and put them back in one at a time. They showed up in the plugin preference list but failed to pass, so they are at a "Failed" status in the list.

But when I went to load the instrument in a VI track it is there now and it loads and works perfectly. Even though it says "Failed" in the plugin list.

Obviously there's something odd going on with DP and this plug, but it is up and running just fine so I won't complain.
I agree something changed between DP 8 and 9. I have a number of plugins that worked via jbridgem in DP 8.07, and just noticed they are just about all missing in DP 9. I removed them from their folders, re processed them with jbridgem, and tried opening them up in DP 9 again. All failed, or caused a crash in DP, except one. Luckily, none of them do anything important, so I'll leave these plugins behind.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
cbergm7210

Post by cbergm7210 »

bayswater wrote:
cbergm7210 wrote:I took both VB3 vst versions (regular and JBridge converted) out of their folders and put them back in one at a time. They showed up in the plugin preference list but failed to pass, so they are at a "Failed" status in the list.

I agree something changed between DP 8 and 9. I have a number of plugins that worked via jbridgem in DP 8.07, and just noticed they are just about all missing in DP 9. I removed them from their folders, re processed them with jbridgem, and tried opening them up in DP 9 again. All failed, or caused a crash in DP, except one. Luckily, none of them do anything important, so I'll leave these plugins behind.
Thanks for the confirmation that something is amiss, Bay Man.