Very Strange Fatal Glitch in DP9 - Need Help

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
Watersound
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Very Strange Fatal Glitch in DP9 - Need Help

Post by Watersound »

OK, so I just downloaded DP9 on my Macbook Pro 2.3GHZ intel core7 with Yosemite 10.10.2
and everything is going flawless for a few hrs. Suddenly the time ruler in tracks mode lost it's measure numbers and went totally blank. All of my markers are gone, my soundbites have disappeared in the tracks window, and here's the worst part - it will play my sequence but the second I hit the spacebar to stop, DP crashes. This happens 100 percent of the time - crashes on stop every single time. Any suggestions? I tried reinstalling DP but to no avail. Really weird. I attached a picture - notice how the timeline is vacant of any info - check this out:

http://watersoundentertainment.com/wp-c ... Glitch.png
Watersound

Re: Very Strange Fatal Glitch in DP9 - Need Help

Post by Watersound »

Ok so I updated to 10.10.5, repaired permissions, and still no fix. When I opened DP9 this time
I got some weird, crunched up special characters in the tracks timeline. This happens no matter
what file I open - even when creating a new file. When it crashes I just get the standard
"The application Digital Performer has quit unexpectedly." No other details or error code.
Here's a picture, look at the tracks timeline - what is that??

http://watersoundentertainment.com/wp-c ... itchv2.png
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

Could it be a font issue? I had a weird issue with DP a few versions back and it turned out to be a font conflict. DP appeared to be working fine but when I tried to enter a numerical value it would crash.

Go to Font Book and look for "resolve duplicate fonts" (or something like that). It's a long shot but it only takes a minute to check.

Phil
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Phil O wrote:Could it be a font issue? I had a weird issue with DP a few versions back and it turned out to be a font conflict. DP appeared to be working fine but when I tried to enter a numerical value it would crash.

Go to Font Book and look for "resolve duplicate fonts" (or something like that). It's a long shot but it only takes a minute to check.

Phil
That's certainly a possibility and the first thing to check.

Did you install something afterwards? If so, what? If nothing, I suspect a bad drive.

The next thing is to run Repair Disk from Disk Utility. You need to boot from another drive or Option-Boot into the Repair Partition and run it from there. Run it on the whole drive, not the mounted partition. If anything shows up in red, run it again and again until it's fixed or the same errors show up three times in a row. If this fixes it, replace the drive ASAP.

Usually, things like this are caused by running so called 'maintenance tools' that do more harm than good. Onyx comes to mind, iDefrag on an SSD is another but these aren't the only possible culprits.

Corrupt RAM is a possibility but not likely. If you regularly clone and restore from clones, then RAM makes the suspect list.

How old is this MBP? Is there anything that indicates the expanding battery issue? If so, you may have a bad graphics chip or VRAM.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Watersound

Post by Watersound »

Thanks for the advice guys. I gave the Font Book a go but to no avail. My MBP is from mid 2012, also this did start happening an hour or so after I installed T Racks Custom Shop. You think that could be it? How should I trouble shoot that? Also, I'm going to load DP9 on a backup drive and see what happens.

I've never run any third party maintenance tools, and I wasn't aware of any battery issues. I wonder if Custom Shop screwed it up...
Watersound

Post by Watersound »

OK wow I figured this out. Somehow a setting got changed in the "Time Formats" window
in the Setup category in DP. It was set to "custom" when I normally would have it set to "Measures."
I changed it back and everything is normal again. Thanks again for your help, if anyone
else experiences it hopefully this thread will help them (<:
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Thank you for posting what worked. Too often, people don't and, as you implied, that helps nobody.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Good you have DP working again, but was that really the fix? A custom setting in Time Formats shouldn't cause crashing and strange characters in the time line.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
Watersound

Post by Watersound »

Yes that was the fix. As soon as I switch it back to custom in "time formats" the program goes haywire and crashes. The timeline displays those special characters as seen in photo I posted in post#2, and is unusable.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

My Time Format is and always has been custom. Bars and real time, and bars are set to 96 ticks per quarter note. Maybe I'm not understanding what you did, but if simply selecting a custom time format crashes DP, something is wrong, and turning off the custom options is not really a fix.
Watersound

Post by Watersound »

I suppose it's a glitch then, but I just keep it on the standard measure settings since it's the only
way I've ever used it anyway, so for me it's no issue. I wonder if anyone else can recreate this glitch?
Gravity Jim

Post by Gravity Jim »

I assumed that because the OP wasn't aware of the change, that DP had been set to custom while no parameters had been entered for the custom setting. Which might cause some weirdness.
Jim Bordner

MacPro 5,1 (3.33Ghz 12-core), 32g RAM, OS X 10.14.6 • MOTU DP 10.11 • Logic Pro X 10.2.5 • Waves Platinum, UAD-2, Slate Digital, Komplete, Omnisphere 2, LASS, CineSamples, Chipsounds, V Collection 5[color]
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Possibly. But even that would be something that needs to get fixed in the code. You shouldn't be able to disable an app like DP, or corrupt its documents by entering invalid information, or omitting information in a dialog box. I tried to put in strange values but couldn't get it to blink. With any luck this was a one of.
Watersound

Post by Watersound »

bayswater wrote:Possibly. But even that would be something that needs to get fixed in the code. You shouldn't be able to disable an app like DP, or corrupt its documents by entering invalid information, or omitting information in a dialog box. I tried to put in strange values but couldn't get it to blink. With any luck this was a one of.
I can get it to fail consistently just by checking the custom box and not altering anything. The weird
thing about it was that it just happened seemingly out of nowhere. Here's to hoping it was a one-off :dance:
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

If you can open a new project and click a custom option in the Time Formats and consistently get a glitch or crash, that should be reported as a bug. I can't reproduce it, but that doesn't mean MOTU won't.