Error code -109??

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
csavetman
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Error code -109??

Post by csavetman »

Umm…so this morning I go to boot up DP9 and get this

Anyone familiar with this. Looked it up. Couldn't really find much. Repaired permissions. Rebooted. Same thing.
Also, internet is down for the weekend. If I go to reinstall DP, will it ask me to re authorize? Will I need internet?

Thanks
Carlos
csavetman

Re: Error code -109??

Post by csavetman »

Oh yeah…OS 10.10.4
Mac quad core Xeon 2.8 ghz
8gb ram
csavetman

Post by csavetman »

So to update…
Reinstalled DP9
Repaired permissions
Re boot
Ran Tech Tool Pro
Removed 3rd party plugins
Unplugged Motu interfaces

Still getting OS error -109

Anyone??

Carlos
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

This error normally means that you're trying to access a disk that has not been formatted properly or for which you do not have adequate privileges.

Did you install on the default locations or to an external drive?
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
csavetman

Post by csavetman »

mikehalloran wrote:This error normally means that you're trying to access a disk that has not been formatted properly or for which you do not have adequate privileges.

Did you install on the default locations or to an external drive?
Just the standard install to system drive. Was working perfectly fine up to this morning. Ran it all day yesterday and ever since I originally installed v9 a few weeks back have had no problems.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

-109 is a generic 'you can't get to your data' error. It often means a drive media error and is often associated with the crappy Seagate drives in the early Time Capsules.

See what happens when you run Repair Disk from another drive. Run it on the entire drive, not the mounted volume. If anything turns up red, run it again and again until the exact error sequence repeats three times or its fixed. If this fixes it, get your data off and replace the drive.

If you cannot boot from another drive, Option-Boot into the Repair Partition and run Disk Utility from that.

If you created your system drive by cloning and did not reinstall the OS, there is no Repair Partition. If that's the case and you have no other options, Do a fresh install of the latest OS and do the steps above.
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
csavetman

Post by csavetman »

mikehalloran wrote:-109 is a generic 'you can't get to your data' error. It often means a drive media error and is often associated with the crappy Seagate drives in the early Time Capsules.

See what happens when you run Repair Disk from another drive. Run it on the entire drive, not the mounted volume. If anything turns up red, run it again and again until the exact error sequence repeats three times or its fixed. If this fixes it, get your data off and replace the drive.

If you cannot boot from another drive, Option-Boot into the Repair Partition and run Disk Utility from that.

If you created your system drive by cloning and did not reinstall the OS, there is no Repair Partition. If that's the case and you have no other options, Do a fresh install of the latest OS and do the steps above.
Thanks so much for that info. Will try a few more things first, and then this if it's still not happening.

Thanks!!
csavetman

Post by csavetman »

csavetman wrote:
mikehalloran wrote:-109 is a generic 'you can't get to your data' error. It often means a drive media error and is often associated with the crappy Seagate drives in the early Time Capsules.

Thanks so much for that info. Will try a few more things first, and then this if it's still not happening.

Thanks!!
So, just as an update to the situation, I ended up replacing my system drive (western digital _black).
I had followed Mike's advice, running disk repair. Got a bunch of errors, and a message saying couldn't be repaired, please reformat. At that point, I no longer trusted that drive. It is original from 2008 MacPro, so I guess it just started showing signs of age. Many fresh installs later, all is good.

Thanks Mike.

Carlos
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

You're welcome. I hate to be right when that happens but, if format wasn't the issue, that was really the only other thing it could be.

If you still have data that you want but can't get, you can try re-running Repair Disk over and over – I once ran it over 50 times to get some files. DR often repairs only one thing at a time – that's why I say to stop when you get the exact same error messages three times in a row.

In this case, the drive is no good. Even if DR eventually gave it a clean bill of health, the problems would come back in a few days (been there, done that, wrote the report).

If you have a decent backup, then you've done what's necessary.
Killahurts

Post by Killahurts »

Thanks Mike! Carlos is literally down the street from me, we need this talented man to be up and running. He has a lot of records to do! :)

I think I might be up for a system drive replacement soon, mine's a late 2010 model. After Carlos gets running, I'll be envious of his WD Black startup drive. I currently have everything on those except the startup and the SSD. Great drives..
DP11, 2019 16-Core Mac Pro, Monterey, 64GB RAM. RME HDSPe MADI FX to SSL Alphalink to SSL Matrix console, and multiple digital sub consoles. UAD Quad PCIe. Outboard stuff.
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

Go all SSD (except for backups) and you won't be jealous anymore. :lol:

Great assist Mike!