DP9 crashing MBP ? - Resolved

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
davidh
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

DP9 crashing MBP ? - Resolved

Post by davidh »

Wonder if anyone else has come across this...

Twice now I've had my MBP crash while recording a long audio file. I've been transferring some old stereo DAT archives into DP9 - just recording to one stereo audio track - straight in, no plugs or anything fancy.
The last crash was after about 40 minutes, first crash probably a similar time into the recording. My only thought is it might be something to do with DP attempting an autosave whilst recording. Plenty of free internal SSD space so it's not that. I will also try recording to an external drive, which I normally do - just didn't have one with me for this.
Bugs which take that long to try to figure out are a PITA :roll:
Last edited by davidh on Wed Aug 19, 2015 7:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mac Pro 'Nehalem' 2 x 2.66 Quad Core, 28GB, 10.11.6 || MacBook Pro 2.7 Intel Core i7 Retina, 16GB, 10.11.6 || MOTU 2408 Mk3, 828 Mk 2, MTP AV || DP 9.51 & 9.13, Mach 5 v3, MSI, Ethno2, MX4, VEPro6, all Spectrasonics, Kontakt ... and many of the other usual suspects.
http://www.thekeyboard.co.uk
Gravity Jim

Re: DP9 crashing MBP ?

Post by Gravity Jim »

Are you recording these long files to the same drive your OS and DP are on?
Jim Bordner

MacPro 5,1 (3.33Ghz 12-core), 32g RAM, OS X 10.14.6 • MOTU DP 10.11 • Logic Pro X 10.2.5 • Waves Platinum, UAD-2, Slate Digital, Komplete, Omnisphere 2, LASS, CineSamples, Chipsounds, V Collection 5[color]
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

I did a couple of three track 48 hour recordings last summer, and anticipated problems like this. I made sure the sequence length was more than one hour, and set it to loop record with memory locators set at 0 and 1 hour. The resulting recording for each track is in one file, although it shows as multiple takes in DP. I have no idea whether any of this made a difference, but it didn't crash.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
davidh

Post by davidh »

Thanks for the input guys. Yes, as I said, for this session circumstances forced me to record to the internal SSD drive which also holds the OS & DP. Haven't yet been able to find the hours necessary to sort this out, but my first step will be to try it on my MacPro instead of the MBP and recording to an external drive this time. If that works OK, I'll revert, adding each of the elements of the original setup one by one to see if I can make it crash again, hopefully thereby isolating the problem. Will report back...
Mac Pro 'Nehalem' 2 x 2.66 Quad Core, 28GB, 10.11.6 || MacBook Pro 2.7 Intel Core i7 Retina, 16GB, 10.11.6 || MOTU 2408 Mk3, 828 Mk 2, MTP AV || DP 9.51 & 9.13, Mach 5 v3, MSI, Ethno2, MX4, VEPro6, all Spectrasonics, Kontakt ... and many of the other usual suspects.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Check your input buffer, turn the background processing screen on in case anything weird shows up.

Hopefully, you aren't running anything like iDefrag on your SSD -- that could be the problem if you are.

I would be checking my RAM with something like TechTool Pro. A bad stick could easily be the problem.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
theprez

Post by theprez »

I was just poking around and saw this post. Did you resolve your problem?
I had the same issue when I first upped to DP9. It turned out to be caused by the 32 bit plugs in my components folder. Even though I had "converted" them with 32 Lives, my copy Of MOTU Electric Keys and Sanoma's DrumCore 3 caused the MBP to crash every time. I went to the MOTU site and DLed a 64 bit version of Electric Keys, but had to remove Drumcore from the folder (though I can still launch it stand alone and drag whatever audio files I want into the Soundbites window.
Anyway, once I took those two steps, it's been running fine. Hope this is helpful.
davidh

Re: DP9 crashing MBP ? - RESOLVED

Post by davidh »

Thanks again to all who posted replies. Turns out it was a schoolboy error on my part :oops:
I discovered that I had MBP Energy Saver settings turned on - I usually have them on for MBP battery use only, but must have inadvertently turned them on for the Power Adaptor too at some point. Doh!
Long files are recording fine now that Energy Saver settings are all set to never/off again.
:sorry: to have wasted your time...
James Steele
Site Administrator

Re: DP9 crashing MBP ? - Resolved

Post by James Steele »

Thanks for coming back and letting us know. Too often people don't and then the assumption is left that DP was at fault. :)
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
davidh

Re: DP9 crashing MBP ? - Resolved

Post by davidh »

James Steele wrote:Thanks for coming back and letting us know. Too often people don't and then the assumption is left that DP was at fault. :)
Thanks James, no prob.