mixer strip level display bug

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
csavetman
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

mixer strip level display bug

Post by csavetman »

Just noticed a small bug in DP9.
Adjusting a selected track's fader level in the mixer strip at the top of the tracks overview or sequence editor fails to display the level readout, as it does with pan, send, etc.

Carlos
DP9
Mac DualQuad Core 2.8Ghz
OS 10.10.4
Phil O

Re: mixer strip level display bug

Post by Phil O »

csavetman wrote:...in the mixer strip at the top of the tracks overview or sequence editor...
I'm not sure what you mean. Are you talking about the channel strip? If so, it's working fine here. Can you be more specific?

Phil
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
csavetman

Post by csavetman »

Phil O wrote:
csavetman wrote:...in the mixer strip at the top of the tracks overview or sequence editor...
I'm not sure what you mean. Are you talking about the channel strip? If so, it's working fine here. Can you be more specific?

Phil
I'm referring to the little horizontal mixer strip at the top of either the sequence editor or tracks overview screen. (Can be made visible via the information bar prefs, along with such items as cursor, event and selection info...)
I believe by default, it's set to display in the the sequence editor, but not tracks overview.
Anyway, I find it handy to keep it visible when working on a selected track in either of those two windows. I just happened to notice that the pop up value box did not appear when adjusting volume.

Hope that clears it up. Will send out a tech link to Motu.

Carlos
Killahurts

Post by Killahurts »

csavetman wrote:Just noticed a small bug in DP9.
Adjusting a selected track's fader level in the mixer strip at the top of the tracks overview or sequence editor fails to display the level readout, as it does with pan, send, etc.

Carlos
DP9
Mac DualQuad Core 2.8Ghz
OS 10.10.4
For me, it works correctly in the Track Overview, but not in the Sequence Editor. In the SE, it doesn't even have a little space to the right of the fader for the readout to appear in.
DP11, 2019 16-Core Mac Pro, Monterey, 64GB RAM. RME HDSPe MADI FX to SSL Alphalink to SSL Matrix console, and multiple digital sub consoles. UAD Quad PCIe. Outboard stuff.
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

csavetman wrote:...(Can be made visible via the information bar prefs...
Wow! I'm still learning stuff about this program. Probably, in years past, I looked at that feature and decided not to use it. (I've never used it and either didn't know about it or forgot about it.) Please forgive my ignorance and thanks for bringing this up. I checked and it's not displaying a value on my system either. Both SE and TO do not display numerical values.

Phil
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
csavetman

Post by csavetman »

Tech link submitted.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

I didn't know the info strip in the TO and SE displayed send. I don't see it there, only fader, pan and inserts. How do you get it to show sends?
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
Guitar Gaz

Post by Guitar Gaz »

csavetman wrote: I'm referring to the little horizontal mixer strip at the top of either the sequence editor or tracks overview screen. (Can be made visible via the information bar prefs, along with such items as cursor, event and selection info...)
I believe by default, it's set to display in the the sequence editor, but not tracks overview.
Anyway, I find it handy to keep it visible when working on a selected track in either of those two windows. I just happened to notice that the pop up value box did not appear when adjusting volume.

Hope that clears it up. Will send out a tech link to Motu.

Carlos
Never really knew that was there - it's pretty good actually but works fine for me in both Sequence and Track Overview.
Gary Shepherd
iMac 27" 3.3 GHz Intel Core i5, 32 GB Ram, Monterey 12.7.4, 64 bit, Digital Performer 11.3, Studio One 6.6 Professional, Reason 11, Melodyne 5 Editor, Korg Legacy Wavestation and M1, Arturia minimoog V, Helix Native 3.72, Bias FX 2 Elite, Superior Drummer 3, EZkeys, EZbass, Nektar Panorama T4, Motu M4, Faderport 2018, Gibson Les Paul Standard, James Tyler Variax JTV-59 and other gear.
csavetman

Post by csavetman »

update. Got a quick reply from Magic Dave. Turns out it was operator error on my part.
In the channelstrip mini menu-Choosing Configure Info bar, I didn't have fader value display checked as an option. All good now.
bayswater wrote:I didn't know the info strip in the TO and SE displayed send. I don't see it there, only fader, pan and inserts. How do you get it to show sends?
Go to the above mentioned channelstrip mini menu- choose Configure Info Bar
Check off which options you wish to have displayed, including sends.

Carlos
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

I've used it for temporary level changes (can that be recorded or automated?) but don't remember seeing inserts available before. That must be new with DP8 or 9. That will be handy as it might save from having to open the mixer to get to the insert.

Thanks for the bug report! :) A useful bug! Or wait, it's actually really a FEATURE this time! :rtfm:
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

Hmm. I checked that, and the value display IS checked. Still no value.

Tried it in a newly created project and it's working fine. So, for me it's a problem with older projects opened in DP9. Loading an older project into DP9 seems to be working fine as well. So it's something worth trying if you're having problems with this.

FWIW, I'm beginning to think that using the Load command is a good idea for any pre-9 projects that you're having problems with. It's solved issues for me several times now.
Philippe
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

csavetman wrote:update. Got a quick reply from Magic Dave. Turns out it was operator error on my part.
In the channelstrip mini menu-Choosing Configure Info bar, I didn't have fader value display checked as an option. All good now.
bayswater wrote:I didn't know the info strip in the TO and SE displayed send. I don't see it there, only fader, pan and inserts. How do you get it to show sends?
Go to the above mentioned channelstrip mini menu- choose Configure Info Bar
Check off which options you wish to have displayed, including sends.

Carlos
Thanks. I remember now. It's always difficult to remember how to get to the Configure Info Bar. Once you're there, it's amazing what you can have displayed.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:I've used it for temporary level changes (can that be recorded or automated?) but don't remember seeing inserts available before.
I've always had the inserts showing. Somehow I missed the sends. I use those for headphone mixes, so this will come in handy.