MOTU Please make Comp tool NOT cut underlying audio

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
toodamnhip
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

MOTU Please make Comp tool NOT cut underlying audio

Post by toodamnhip »

Often I import a piece of audio into the “comp track” (using the comp tool), and wish to edge edit a bit to REFINE that “comp import”, on the comp track itself.
Yes, it is indeed possible to edge edit the SUB take for adjustment, but often one needs to edge edit in the comped track itself for final tweeks, especially when having had put the sub takes away, but also in MANY other situations.
The problem is, DP cuts the data UNDERNEATH any imported audio into the comp Track. So when one edge edits the TOP comped audio, there is zero audio underneath from the prior comp track. This then requires yet another edge edit to bring the underlying audio back to the space where one has peeled back the top comp track. And...in the event there was a small piece of audio under the comped audio, that can get erased altogether when overlaying a comp take in that time location.
I have made a variety of workarounds, such as always working on copies so that the previous comp is always the track right next to the new comp...etc...but this CUTTING of underlying audio makes little sense. And if anyone wishes to argue I would state that DP has TWO audio and MIDI record modes, one of which does NOT erase underlying data. So why , when comping, does one LOSE this choice? Makes no sense! Leave the prior comped audio underneath so one can peel back to it and fade between takes!

So how about we make it a user preference that the audio underneath REMAINS there when overlaying a new piece of audio using the COMP tool?
Last edited by toodamnhip on Sat Aug 01, 2015 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mac Pro (Late 2013
2.7 GHz 12-Core Intel Xeon E5
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
MOTU 8pre, MTP AV, 828 mkII
Tons of VIS and plug ins. SSD hard drives etc
Robert Randolph

Re: MOTU Please make Comp tool NOT cut underlying audio

Post by Robert Randolph »

I instinctively want to help, but the inflammatory way you write makes it very unpleasant to read your posts.
Tim

Post by Tim »

So, Merge rather than Paste? That makes sense to me.

I still haven't tried the Comp feature
Last edited by Tim on Sat Aug 01, 2015 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tim

Post by Tim »

Robert Randolph wrote:I instinctively want to help, but the inflammatory way you write makes it very unpleasant to read your posts.
Forum Preferences
Unpleasant Filter
On
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Ha ha!
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Tim wrote:So, Merge rather than Paste?
Yes, that works. If you use the merge command instead of paste, the existing layers of audio under the newly added clip remain and can be uncovered by edge edits. Alt Drag and drop will do the same. It is only Paste that removes the existing audio. That's consistent with the overall way DP treats paste versus merge, no? In MIDI, if you paste you lose what's already in the range of the paste.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
toodamnhip

Post by toodamnhip »

Hmmm I am not sure it has been duplicated that I am using the Comp tool. There is no merge option that I know of with the comp tool . The tool sends all audio to the Comp track, cutting what's underneath.
Mac Pro (Late 2013
2.7 GHz 12-Core Intel Xeon E5
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
MOTU 8pre, MTP AV, 828 mkII
Tons of VIS and plug ins. SSD hard drives etc
Gravity Jim

Post by Gravity Jim »

Why?? God, why?
Jim Bordner

MacPro 5,1 (3.33Ghz 12-core), 32g RAM, OS X 10.14.6 • MOTU DP 10.11 • Logic Pro X 10.2.5 • Waves Platinum, UAD-2, Slate Digital, Komplete, Omnisphere 2, LASS, CineSamples, Chipsounds, V Collection 5[color]