Model12 Issues (since installing DP9)

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
OneEyedWolfdog
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Model12 Issues (since installing DP9)

Post by OneEyedWolfdog »

Hi, all, forgive me if I'm duplicating questions buried in an old thread, but I couldn't find anything relevant. Since I installed DP9 a few days ago, I've found two issues with Model 12 (which to be honest has pretty well always been the flakiest thing in my setup and the ultimate moral is probably "Stop using Model 12"). I'm curious if anyone has encountered the same issues; I already put a TechLink in about the first one.

1. Won't read samples from an aliased directory: I have several directories of drum / percussion samples which I've made available to Model 12 by putting aliases to the sample folders in ~/Library/Application Support/MOTU/Model 12. This has worked great for years. Now, not so great. It will not load any files from those aliased directories. Furthermore, if I use an existing preset that has sounds from aliased directories loaded, then many of the controls associated with that sample slot don't work. In particular, the up/down spinner buttons and popup menu to choose a new sample (or even clear the sample) don't work.

2. I generally set, for example, all my hi-hats in Model 12 to output to AUX2, and then I make a stereo Aux track with input from "Model 12-1 Aux 2 L-R". Only now, when I go to choose an input for my track, the list of inputs DOESN'T include the L-R outputs that I'm expecting but has a bunch of montrosities like "Model 12-1 Aux 1 R-Model 12-1 Aux 2 L" and sure enough it receives the right half of Aux 1 (my kick drums, say) and the left of Aux 2 (my hats). What.... I mean, what? Why is that even a thing? Why is there no connection for both stereo halves of one Model 12 AUX? Am I missing something obvious?

OS X 10.9.4, for what it's worth, Mac Pro with 8GB of RAM. Both problems occur both in DP9 and in DP8 if I go back to that just to check. Any insights would be appreciated. Cheers!
mikehalloran

Re: Model12 Issues (since installing DP9)

Post by mikehalloran »

What's a Model 12?

You mention you are on 10.9.4. There's a major Time Machine bug (many users couldn't restore from backup) and other issues that were resolved with the 10.9.5 update. The Combo Updater is online if the App Store is insisting that you need to go to Yosemite. Not trying to hijack your thread, just a heads-up.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Tritonemusic

Post by Tritonemusic »

mikehalloran wrote:What's a Model 12?
It's the built-in drum module which is part of Digital Performer.

http://www.motu.com/products/software/d ... model%2012
DP 10.13, OS 13.6, iMac Pro (2017) 3.2 GHz 8-Core, 32 GB RAM, MOTU M4
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

I frequently use Drum Editor in combination with Model 12 for custom click tracks. I've seen some weird behavior in both. Some of my click loops (as I call them) from previous version clippings don't play properly in DP9. Yeah, something's messed up. Let's hope MOTU will address this.

Phil
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
wvandyck

Post by wvandyck »

OneEyedWolfdog wrote:... I'm curious if anyone has encountered the same issues; I already put a TechLink in about the first one.

1. Won't read samples from an aliased directory: I have several directories of drum / percussion samples which I've made available to Model 12 by putting aliases to the sample folders in ~/Library/Application Support/MOTU/Model 12. This has worked great for years. Now, not so great. It will not load any files from those aliased directories.

This is an issue on my DP9 system.
OneEyedWolfdog wrote:. 2. I generally set, for example, all my hi-hats in Model 12 to output to AUX2, and then I make a stereo Aux track with input from "Model 12-1 Aux 2 L-R". Only now, when I go to choose an input for my track, the list of inputs DOESN'T include the L-R outputs that I'm expecting but has a bunch of montrosities like "Model 12-1 Aux 1 R-Model 12-1 Aux 2 L" and sure enough it receives the right half of Aux 1 (my kick drums, say) and the left of Aux 2 (my hats). What.... I mean, what? Why is that even a thing? Why is there no connection for both stereo halves of one Model 12 AUX? Am I missing something obvious?
Not seeing that here. Take a look at your Bundles.
2017 2.9 GHz MPB/1TB ssd; loaded 2012 i7 quadcore Mini, OS 10.15.5
DP 10.11, Logic 10.5.1, Silverface Apollo Quad/TB, K12UC, Falcon, Integra 7, MIDI guitars etc.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

OneEyedWolfdog wrote:1. Won't read samples from an aliased directory
It will be interesting to see what MOTU has to say about it. I've had this happen with a few apps somewhere around the time Mavericks came out. I wonder if the problem is more on the side of the OS than the apps. Logic is getting to the point where its own libraries have to be on the startup drive. Apparently using symbolic links rather than aliases fixes this sometimes.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
wvandyck

Post by wvandyck »

bayswater wrote:[ I wonder if the problem is more on the side of the OS than the apps.
Good point.
2017 2.9 GHz MPB/1TB ssd; loaded 2012 i7 quadcore Mini, OS 10.15.5
DP 10.11, Logic 10.5.1, Silverface Apollo Quad/TB, K12UC, Falcon, Integra 7, MIDI guitars etc.