Automation Play buttons default to “ON” makes no sense!!

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
HCMarkus
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Automation Play buttons default to “ON” makes no sense!!

Post by HCMarkus »

bayswater wrote:
HCMarkus wrote:helps me avoid making hasty changes on an un-automated fader that I may later regret.
That's a reason to do a snapshot. Then the changes have to be deliberate.
Yes, but another step. Pros and cons, like approaches, are many.

Preference requested.
Killahurts

Post by Killahurts »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:
Killahurts wrote: But it's just not a significant problem, definitely not worth arguing about.
Agreed, but that hasn't stopped arguments in the past. I prefer the automation button to default to "on" and don't recall it ever self-activating when I added data (such as volume, pan, etc). In fact, I know it didn't self-activate in the past so maybe that's new? If so, that would be cool but as Phil O says - not when you draw automation, which is how I enter it 99% of the time.

I don't have many instances when a track doesn't have some control data needing automation and, as a result, have always set it to default to on. I like it that way... :love:
I'm willing to bet that a lot of folks that want it to default to off are guys like me who write most automation in with a controller/console. The guys that draw data in with the mouse, etc., seem to prefer default to on, for very good reasons which have been posted here..

But one little button to turn them all on or off would make everybody happy, so I'm in the "make it a preference" camp.
DP11, 2019 16-Core Mac Pro, Monterey, 64GB RAM. RME HDSPe MADI FX to SSL Alphalink to SSL Matrix console, and multiple digital sub consoles. UAD Quad PCIe. Outboard stuff.
reedster

Post by reedster »

When Automation is off and "Add Similar Track" is used to create a new track, Automation is off in the new track - kinda like a preference.
MacBook Pro 9,1 15" 16gb | 10.12.4 | DP 9.13 | xAir | NI | WIVI | Garritan | Izotope | Bidule
Robert Randolph

Post by Robert Randolph »

As a side note, you guys really shouldn't be using 'add new track' very much IMO.

Create a sequence that has the track (or tracks) that you want. Put that sequence in a global clipping window. Now when you want a track you can just drag that sequence to your existing sequence and BOOM new track(s). I'll make a gif for this later.

I have a bunch of sequences: full drums, 4 track drums, 6 track guitar, 4 track guitar, guitar sim, guitar sim/mic mix, 2 track bass, vocal suite, single stereo, orchestral template, piano track live, etc... They're all in a clipping window, and they are treated like track templates.

So rather than having to rely on a big master template with a bunch of unnecessary tracks, I can build my project as I go along, but in large chunks. This also includes i/o settings, plug-in settings, automation settings, folders, associated sends etc..

This is not only an excellent workaround for the automation "issue", but an excellent way to speed up almost any workflow that doesn't start with a massive default template.
cleamon

Post by cleamon »

Robert Randolph wrote:As a side note, you guys really shouldn't be using 'add new track' very much IMO.

Create a sequence that has the track (or tracks) that you want. Put that sequence in a global clipping window. Now when you want a track you can just drag that sequence to your existing sequence and BOOM new track(s). I'll make a gif for this later.

I have a bunch of sequences: full drums, 4 track drums, 6 track guitar, 4 track guitar, guitar sim, guitar sim/mic mix, 2 track bass, vocal suite, single stereo, orchestral template, piano track live, etc... They're all in a clipping window, and they are treated like track templates.

So rather than having to rely on a big master template with a bunch of unnecessary tracks, I can build my project as I go along, but in large chunks. This also includes i/o settings, plug-in settings, automation settings, folders, associated sends etc..

This is not only an excellent workaround for the automation "issue", but an excellent way to speed up almost any workflow that doesn't start with a massive default template.
+++
----------------------------------------------
Chuck
iMac (Retina 4K, 21.5-inch, 2017)|| 16GB Ram || OS/X 10.14.6 || Motu 828MkII || Steinberg UR242 || DP8.07
Macbook Pro (Retina, 13-inch), 2.7 GHz i5, 8GB Ram
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Robert Randolph wrote:Create a sequence that has the track (or tracks) that you want. Put that sequence in a global clipping window. Now when you want a track you can just drag that sequence to your existing sequence and BOOM new track(s).
Or, if you use templates, drag the sequence with the desired tracks from the Chunks window.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
Robert Randolph

bayswater wrote:
Robert Randolph wrote:Create a sequence that has the track (or tracks) that you want. Put that sequence in a global clipping window. Now when you want a track you can just drag that sequence to your existing sequence and BOOM new track(s).
Or, if you use templates, drag the sequence with the desired tracks from the Chunks window.
Yeah, that's another way to do it. Have a template with 'track template' sequences.
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

Robert Randolph wrote:As a side note, you guys really shouldn't be using 'add new track' very much IMO.

I use a large template, which works well, but can be unwieldy in some circumstances. I like the suggested approach Robert and will give it a try when time permits.
Robert Randolph

For those who aren't familiar with using the clippings windows, or manipulating chunks, I made a short video explaining the workflow.

This should help the people who dislike having the automation turned to read by default as well. You will be able to add tracks to your project in any default state that you wish.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2YII15d45E

Pardon the poor audio, I only had a few minutes to make this and I accidentally selected the wrong mic. :vomit:

edit: Uh, how do you embed a youtube link?
Last edited by Robert Randolph on Sun Jul 26, 2015 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
EMRR

Post by EMRR »

I'll have to play with that, thanks for the video link. Snapshots and chunks are mostly unexplored areas for me, clippings have never been used. I think I took a snapshot a few times in 2008, don't remember why! I forget it's there, or why I'd use it. The only thing in my habitual workflow is 'duplicate chunk' to get a new song sequence mirroring all mixer and track settings from a previous.
Doug Williams
Electromagnetic Radiation Recorders
The Martha Bassett Show broadcast mixer
Tape Op issue 73

DP 11.31
Studio M1 Max OS12.7.3
MOTU 16A and Monitor 8
M1 Pro MBP for remotes and editing
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

I tried using the code to imbed but now just posting the link auto imbeds it for some reason.

As for this thread, a pref would solve it until then, it is what it is. Send the suggestion to MOTU if you want to see a change. Talking about it here won't get their attention unless, I suppose, it's a more "innovative" suggestion. Maybe like Chunk Folders and color coding chunks, etc.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
frankf

Post by frankf »

I've always interpreted the green automation light as automation read being enabled NOT that there is automation data in the track. So I wouldn't change the function. And Boris, I've read your example. From my workflow it would be a separate indicator for any automation present in the track, although I don't need the feature myself. I do most work in the SE where it is fairly easy to see if automation data exists in a track

Frank Ferrucci
Frank Ferrucci
http://www.ferruccimusic.com
Mac Pro 6,1 64gb RAM DP9.52 OSX 10.12.6 MIO 2882d & ULN2d Firewire Audio Interfaces, MOTU MTP-AV USB
Tim

Post by Tim »

Automation Setup
Enable Automation Playback (on or off)
Save as Default for Audio Tracks
Robert Randolph

Tim wrote:Automation Setup
Amazing.

/thread
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Tim wrote:Automation Setup
Thank you, Tim. Now could you please add. Chunk Folders and color coded soundbites?
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS