Mix Automation erred from written levels DP-8

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
Timeline
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Mix Automation erred from written levels DP-8

Post by Timeline »

I noticed this for the first time when remixing some older sessions from DP-7 in 8+ yesterday.

It was VERY obvious because it was on lead vocal track. After re-writing the levels it moved back to the right level and after re-writing the second time it stayed but I'm now concerned. Could this be something others have experienced or it's an issue which will carry on, just for me on my system? It's like it erred and was picking up an older line of automation. Could this have been less the automation and possibility of a plug level setting change? Anyway, something changed on my system. Also, I did not hear any other problems on other tune remixes.

If you have had this experience please let me know.
2009 Intel 12 core 3.46, 64GB, OSX.10.14.6, Mojave, DP11, MTPAV, Key-station 49,(2) RME FF800,
DA-3000 DSF-5.6mhz, Mackie Control. Hofa DDP Pro, FB@ http://www.facebook.com/garybrandt2
toodamnhip

Re: Mix Automation erred from written levels DP-8

Post by toodamnhip »

I would guess it was a plug in, especially if the plug in was a 3rd party plug. I truly do wish DP would once and for all learn to play nicely with 3rd party plug ins. Snap shot automation, incorrect automation read outs in the SE windows, copy and paste automation screwed up, it all gets fixed for awhile and then get broken again in subsequent DP versions. I would surely suspect a plug in.
Mac Pro (Late 2013
2.7 GHz 12-Core Intel Xeon E5
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
MOTU 8pre, MTP AV, 828 mkII
Tons of VIS and plug ins. SSD hard drives etc
Timeline

Post by Timeline »

I'll have to look at the project vocal track but as i remember, I had changed the level of the limiter before it happened but very slightly compared to the gross change in level. It was the MOTU MW limiter though. In the past I used to just select more buffers to avoid the quirks but I had plenty on this go around. Thanks for the update.
2009 Intel 12 core 3.46, 64GB, OSX.10.14.6, Mojave, DP11, MTPAV, Key-station 49,(2) RME FF800,
DA-3000 DSF-5.6mhz, Mackie Control. Hofa DDP Pro, FB@ http://www.facebook.com/garybrandt2
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

I have had this happen when opening a DP 5 or 7 project in DP8.

The culprit was that the settings for my plugs didn't port over to the 64bit versions. Interestingly, it played back fine at first but touching the automation blew up the settings.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Timeline

Post by Timeline »

mikehalloran wrote:I have had this happen when opening a DP 5 or 7 project in DP8.

The culprit was that the settings for my plugs didn't port over to the 64bit versions. Interestingly, it played back fine at first but touching the automation blew up the settings.
Thanks Mike. This is interesting. Maybe thats the same cause of an issue I'm having with the windows not updating past end of page intermittently. Sometimes the timeline curser just stops at end of page and sits there. I PM'd you about it. Many thanks. I'll be done hopefully soon with this 10 years of writing 14 tunes project I hope soon. Trying to master a 59 minute CD in DSP-Quattro. Thats a whole other can of worms but I'm getting there. Stephano, the writer of the app has helped me a few times recently. :)