DP / Audio MIDI conflict - audio speed

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
EMRR
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

DP / Audio MIDI conflict - audio speed

Post by EMRR »

Apologies if covered elsewhere, I didn't find anything in a search. FYI, FWIW, etc etc

I have noticed several times with DP8.07 on two different MBP, one an '08 running 10.9.5 the other a '14 running 10.10.4, sequences that play at incorrect speeds with no obvious reason. I have found that, for the first time in my experience with DP, DP can start up set at one sample rate while Audio MIDI can remain at another, not taking a cue from DP as it usually does, and always has in the past. This is always with Built In Output, no interfaces connected. It's a serious head scratcher when it does, since it's never to my knowledge ever been an issue.
Doug Williams
Electromagnetic Radiation Recorders
The Martha Bassett Show broadcast mixer
Tape Op issue 73

DP 11.31
Studio M1 Max OS12.7.3
MOTU 16A and Monitor 8
M1 Pro MBP for remotes and editing
Shooshie

Re: DP / Audio MIDI conflict - audio speed

Post by Shooshie »

I wonder if that would be a DP problem or a driver problem for the audio interfaces? Did DP9 install new drivers? Hmmm... answering my own question: not likely. But they did do a driver update a couple months ago, it seems like. Well, not TOO long ago, anyway. I remember updating them fairly recently. But I haven't seen that in DP8, so... Ok, it does sound like a DP9 problem. If it's universal, that is. Time will tell if others see it.

Thanks for the report.

Shoosh
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

I seriously doubt this is a DP 9 or DP 8.07 issue, as it started happening for me with DP 8.07 right after I bought my new Audient ASP 880 ADAT interface to replace my Focusrite unit (huge upgrade) and long after I did the DP 8.07 (or DP 9) update.

The Audient doesn't ship with a user manual, and I haven't had time to hunt it down yet to see if they bother to document the word clock feature. The unit has no power switch so is always on, even when I don't need it (which is most of the time, as I only need it when recording drums).

What appears to be going on is that the Audient unit, the RME unit, Audio MIDI Setup, and Digital Performer, are trying to negotiate for who owns the clock.

There was also a recent update to the RME drivers.

Don't worry about my situation; I'm just taking extra time to manually check things until I'm less busy with album production and can suss out how I want my audio chain to behave. I'm just using this as an example for what might be going on in your own situation.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.1, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
EMRR

Post by EMRR »

I never saw this until I moved to the AVB units. Though I'm talking about a laptop with no interface connected, Built In Audio as output.

Yes, AVB, DP, Audio MIDI all seem to go into a negotiation/conflict mode at times, though the last AVB firmware seems to have made it better.
Doug Williams
Electromagnetic Radiation Recorders
The Martha Bassett Show broadcast mixer
Tape Op issue 73

DP 11.31
Studio M1 Max OS12.7.3
MOTU 16A and Monitor 8
M1 Pro MBP for remotes and editing
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

Still paying my AVB system off (lay-buy), Doug, and this sort of thing gives me the jitters, if you'll excuse the pun.

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here