DP9 - Is Command+B really gone?

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
David Polich
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

DP9 - Is Command+B really gone?

Post by David Polich »

I've gotten so used to using Command+B to erase something. Now it seems that you have
to hit the "Delete" key on the Mac to erase anything. Is the old command really gone? Or is
there a way to configure it again in DP9?
2019 Mac Pro 8-core, 32GB RAM, Mac OS Ventura, MIDI Express 128, Apogee Duet 3, DP 11.2x, Waves, Slate , Izotope, UAD, Amplitube 5, Tonex, Spectrasonics, Native Instruments, Pianoteq, Soniccouture, Arturia, Amplesound, Acustica, Reason Objekt, Plasmonic, Vital, Cherry Audio, Toontrack, BFD, Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha Montage M6, Korg Kronos X61, Alesis Ion,Sequential Prophet 6, Sequential OB-6, Hammond XK5, Yamaha Disklavier MK 3 piano.
http://www.davepolich.com
Robert Randolph

Re: DP9 - Is Command+B really gone?

Post by Robert Randolph »

Do you know what command this referred to?

I checked a vanilla DP8 installation and it only corresponded to "Bold" in QuickScribe text.

I suspect it was a custom keybinding or very old keybinding for 'Erase', but it doesn't appear to be a part of DP8's default commands.

You should be able to search the Command window for "Erase" and add cmd-b to that.
BKK-OZ

Post by BKK-OZ »

AFAIK, Command+B was always erase.

Dunno about 9, haven't made the plunge yet, but I always thought that Command+B for erasing was a quirky, silly shortcut, if its gone, good riddance.
Cheers,
BK

…string theory says that all subatomic particles of the universe are nothing but musical notes. A, B-flat, C-sharp, correspond to electrons, neutrinos, quarks, and what have you. Therefore, physics is nothing but the laws of harmony of these strings. Chemistry is nothing but the melodies we can play on these strings. The universe is a symphony of strings and the mind of God… it is cosmic music resonating through 11 dimensional hyperspace.
- M Kaku
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

I got thrown by that the other day too, but the menu shows you its replacement, which is the delete key off the main keyboard (the one near the numeric keypad). Works great and is easier/quicker to type than CMD-B.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.6, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
Robert Randolph

Post by Robert Randolph »

BKK-OZ wrote:AFAIK, Command+B was always erase.

Dunno about 9, haven't made the plunge yet, but I always thought that Command+B for erasing was a quirky, silly shortcut, if its gone, good riddance.
I've checked default installs of DP6 and DP8 now, and cmd-b wasn't listed in the Commands window. It also didn't erase MIDI notes for me, but perhaps I did something incorrectly as I was in a rush.

It's still easy to re-add it though. I don't see the issue here :?
David Polich

Post by David Polich »

It was never really an issue for me, just took some getting used to.
2019 Mac Pro 8-core, 32GB RAM, Mac OS Ventura, MIDI Express 128, Apogee Duet 3, DP 11.2x, Waves, Slate , Izotope, UAD, Amplitube 5, Tonex, Spectrasonics, Native Instruments, Pianoteq, Soniccouture, Arturia, Amplesound, Acustica, Reason Objekt, Plasmonic, Vital, Cherry Audio, Toontrack, BFD, Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha Montage M6, Korg Kronos X61, Alesis Ion,Sequential Prophet 6, Sequential OB-6, Hammond XK5, Yamaha Disklavier MK 3 piano.
http://www.davepolich.com
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

That clears up one mystery for me. Trying to repeat the bug some found in writing automation events, I found I could not delete these events on my MBP, but could on my iMac. The DP 9 installation removed the delete key on the small laptop keyboard, and only showed keypad delete key, which of course it doesn't have. So the delete key didn't delete.

Going to the default key bindings (which it should have installed in the first place because I don't have any custom binding on the MBP), the delete key now works. Even so, that key cannot be assigned to any command in the Commands window -- it has to be there already.

So this would appear to be an installation bug. That could account for some of the problems reported in other topics.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8