DP 9 Project Notes Text Size

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
ThomasDK
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

DP 9 Project Notes Text Size

Post by ThomasDK »

Hi guys,

Long time DP user here (about 9 years now) - finally decided to join motunation. Unfortunately, I'm kind of here to rant...

I'll start by saying that I love DP. I've made a career in the music industry using this software and I've used it everyday for the past 6 years. Although, I have to say that the recent DP 9 update is easily the least impressive that I've seen, in terms of stability, new features, aspects of the new features, reliability of basic features, etc.

I have a bunch of gripes that I could get into, but for now I'll just focus on one...

PROJECT NOTES:

A cool new feature that I am genuinely excited about. I was so over having to open a text edit document, paste in my creative brief, and then save it into my project folder (especially after Apple ruined that once brilliantly simple application). Anyway, I am super bummed out to discover that there is no way to increase the font size of the text in the window.

How is that not a feature? How was that not thought of? The text is so small I have to put my face an inch from the screen to read it... I'm not asking for fonts, colors, spacing, or any fancy word processor features (though bold and italics would be nice). I just would like the text to be readable. Otherwise, one of the few helpful productivity feature that I spent two hundred dollars for is completely useless.
Mac Pro 2013, 32 GB RAM, OSX Yosemite
DP 9, MOTU 1248 + 828 mkII
LASS Strings, Omnispere 2, Waves, NI Komplete, Sound Toys, Reason, Izotope, VSL, 8dio, Softube, Scuffham, etc.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Re: DP 9 Project Notes Text Size

Post by James Steele »

This is a criticism so glad you posted here. I'm deleting the redundant post in the Usage/Tips section.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
Guitar Gaz

Post by Guitar Gaz »

Yet in the Lyrics window you can increase size because I frequently do so I can read them when recording vocals!
Gary Shepherd
iMac 27" 3.3 GHz Intel Core i5, 32 GB Ram, Monterey 12.7.4, 64 bit, Digital Performer 11.3, Studio One 6.6 Professional, Reason 11, Melodyne 5 Editor, Korg Legacy Wavestation and M1, Arturia minimoog V, Helix Native 3.72, Bias FX 2 Elite, Superior Drummer 3, EZkeys, EZbass, Nektar Panorama T4, Motu M4, Faderport 2018, Gibson Les Paul Standard, James Tyler Variax JTV-59 and other gear.
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

Why not place the text file you'd normally put in the project folder into a Startup (Project?) Clipping one?

This way, the file will open in front of the project upon loading and you'd still have Command - +/- control of the font size. DP will store the file in the project folder in a folder named "Clippings", strangely enough.

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
ThomasDK

Post by ThomasDK »

Thanks Monkey Man! I'll give that a shot. In the mean time, I'll just hope that this issue (and others) get addressed soon and stick with DP 8.
Mac Pro 2013, 32 GB RAM, OSX Yosemite
DP 9, MOTU 1248 + 828 mkII
LASS Strings, Omnispere 2, Waves, NI Komplete, Sound Toys, Reason, Izotope, VSL, 8dio, Softube, Scuffham, etc.
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

Please do give it a try, Thomas.

It works a treat, and not just for text files. You can place any document you like in that folder / clipping window and the associated app/s will open with the relevant documents "in front" every time you fire DP up.

EDIT: Oh, and I think this applies to opening projects too, not just your initial template or whatever, which makes it all the more relevant.

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here