DP9 It's All Good!

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
rikp
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

DP9 It's All Good!

Post by rikp »

Just tried DP9 with my large orchestral template which includes 4 mac pros using VE Pro, Kontakt, Play, and a host of other libraries. Assumed that there would be problems, but EVERYTHING just works! I am frankly AMAZED. Just did a project for a client using my template from DP8 and it went as smooth as silk!

Gotta say I am impressed! :headbang:

Rik
http://www.coffeecupmusic.com
Mac Pro 8 Core 22 Gig RAM, 2 Hackintoshes, DP 8, ProTools 11, Logic X, Waves, Kontakt, Vienna Strings, EWQL Platinum, GPO, BFD, Omnishphere, Stylus RMX, Trilogy, Altiverb, DrumCore, EZ Drummer, LASS, HollyWoodwinds, and too much money spent on VI libraries.
MIDI Life Crisis

Re: DP9 It's All Good!

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

That's great. Have you done a lot of editing, such as adding data points in the editing windows, event list, etc? Several here are getting crashes when doing so, even in small and new projects.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

Party pooper. :lol:

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
MIDI Life Crisis

What kind of party, Nickster?
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
tommymandel

Post by tommymandel »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:...adding data points in the editing windows, event list, etc? Several here are getting crashes when doing so, even in small and new projects.
I am unable to recreate such a crash on a new project on my laptop. Caveat: old 10.6.8 MacOS. But DP9 is blazin away. :P
DP 11.03 12core(5,1): 64GB/10.13.6, two 24i/o's, two 2408mk3's, 4pre, MicroLite-- MBP 2015 16GB/ 2TB 'Blade SSD 10.14.4, Mainstage, Numa C2x, ReMOTE SL -- SupDrmr, 32 Lives, SampleTron,Keyscape,MTronPro,RolCloud,Icarus,Dune,OB-E; Clearmountain Domain,Soundtoys,AdrenaLinnSync, LinnSequencers,Tempest, Montage, JU80, Sledge, Prophet-X, OB-6 V-Synth, s70xs, D-50, TS-10, JD800, Karma, Pa-1x B3, Wurly, Mason Hamlin.
Hardware rig: http://www.tommymandel.com/famous.html/tmrig.html"
MIDI Life Crisis

I still have to find time to reinstall from the DVD and hope that solves it. Later today for sure.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
tommymandel

Post by tommymandel »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:I still have to find time to reinstall from the DVD and hope that solves it. Later today for sure.
I hope so, MLC. Today, I had a device group that I couldn't switch a MIDI track destination out of (into a new one I was trying to create), so I deleted it, and then edited the remaining one to contain the (different) MIDI destinations I was trying to target. Maybe a restart would have fixed that. Also had one possible case of my bundles getting out of whack (if you pardon the expression) - so that DP's input of the R channel of the D50 was linked in a stereo file with the L channel of the next (supposed to be) stereo synth input. I am guessing a restart of either DP9 or else the whole MacPro would have cleared the anomaly, (or a reload of saved Bundles) but the session was almost done, :mrgreen: so I revised only the tracks I absolutely needed manually. After finishing that :headbang: I opened up another DP9 session I'd started a few days earlier and my bundles were back to normal.

Both of these glitches occured when I was working on a sequence, newly created in DP9, which used a very old Template of mine. I think that was the cause. Over all very happy with DP9. And that gorgeous SPLASH SCREEN?@?!!! - Brings me joy with each launch. :wink: Looking forward to the 9.01 smoothout of the issues we've been hearing about. :)
Last edited by tommymandel on Sat Jul 18, 2015 5:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
DP 11.03 12core(5,1): 64GB/10.13.6, two 24i/o's, two 2408mk3's, 4pre, MicroLite-- MBP 2015 16GB/ 2TB 'Blade SSD 10.14.4, Mainstage, Numa C2x, ReMOTE SL -- SupDrmr, 32 Lives, SampleTron,Keyscape,MTronPro,RolCloud,Icarus,Dune,OB-E; Clearmountain Domain,Soundtoys,AdrenaLinnSync, LinnSequencers,Tempest, Montage, JU80, Sledge, Prophet-X, OB-6 V-Synth, s70xs, D-50, TS-10, JD800, Karma, Pa-1x B3, Wurly, Mason Hamlin.
Hardware rig: http://www.tommymandel.com/famous.html/tmrig.html"
Killahurts

Post by Killahurts »

tommymandel wrote:
MIDI Life Crisis wrote:Caveat: old 10.6.8 MacOS. But DP9 is blazin away. :P
I wonder which OS the OP uses? Might be useful info to find out which OS's are having good results..
I'm like MLC, at first 9 worked surprisingly well, even with big projects. But when I started editing MIDI etc. it didn't seem to behave like it should- and then when I tried to do pitch automation, crashed after every edit or two, consistently. Went back to 8 but I wonder if there's a "winning" combination of OS and DP9.
DP11, 2019 16-Core Mac Pro, Monterey, 64GB RAM. RME HDSPe MADI FX to SSL Alphalink to SSL Matrix console, and multiple digital sub consoles. UAD Quad PCIe. Outboard stuff.
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:What kind of party, Nickster?
The DP9 orgy... I mean, love-in that looked set to start... 'till you dropped some gorilla poop on it. LOL

Sorry. Carry on. There'll be a love-in later, or maybe when 10 arrives.

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
cowtothesky

Post by cowtothesky »

I'm going to take the plunge soon! But first, I want to give kudos to MOTU. I came back from a vacation and my Ultralite MK3 was fried. It was out of warranty and I spoke with Benjamin at MOTU who has another unit being sent to me. It only costs $99 for this service. Wow! That was so cool of MOTU.

Once I get the MK3, I'm going to pick up DP9. I'm hoping that the new controller learn feature will work on my Korg M3, which has lots of sliders and knobs. :)
Imac Pro 10-core, 64GB Ram, Mac OS (latest), 2TB SSD, Blackmagic Multiport 4TB SSD, DP 10, Motu Ultralite MK3 Hybrid, VSL Instruments, VE Pro, Vienna Suite, Spectrasonics, Project SAM, Spitfire, Kontakt, Korg M3
musicman691

Post by musicman691 »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:That's great. Have you done a lot of editing, such as adding data points in the editing windows, event list, etc? Several here are getting crashes when doing so, even in small and new projects.
I started running into this kind of stuff yesterday. 7 MIDI and Instrument tracks with one instance each of EWQLSO using the Play 4.2.2 engine. Edit, save, edit - crash before I can do another save. Repeat again and again.
MIDI Life Crisis

This went away after reinstalling from the DVD. You might try a reinstall (even from the download, perhaps?). I suspect something in the download got screwed up. DP 9 doing good so far now.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
musicman691

Post by musicman691 »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:This went away after reinstalling from the DVD. You might try a reinstall (even from the download, perhaps?). I suspect something in the download got screwed up. DP 9 doing good so far now.
I'll have to give that a shot - just got the dvd today (out in the mailbox in almost 100 deg F heat - hope it's okay).

PS: When you reinstalled from the dvd did your preferences and bundles get reset to defaults or did they stay the same as before?
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Unless you delete preferences, templates, bundles etc., they are unaffected by a reinstall. Or an uninstall/reinstall if DP 7 or earlier.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
musicman691

Post by musicman691 »

I did the dvd install and it basically went okay. However I had an issue with the Channel Strip as I outlined in this thread: http://www.motunation.com/forum/viewtop ... 26&t=60187

Not good. Went back to the download version and is back to the way it was.