Send levels Bug in DP9

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
delcosmos
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Send levels Bug in DP9

Post by delcosmos »

Hello, I found a new bug in DP9

When you freeze a VI that have a send output, the freezed track doesn't clone the original aux send setting! I mean, the aux send on the freezed channel appears full leveled!

This is annoying because you have to manually set your sends levels on the new freezed :smash:
8.07 64bit, Spire, Nexus, Fab FilterDiva, Gladiator, Nexus, Sylenth, Stylus RMX, Live 9, Reason 6.5, Komplete 8, AD Keys, AD Drums, Geist, Ivory, Waves 9 Mercury, Sound Toys, Fab, VEPro, Reason, Live, UAD2, x3 2408mk3, PCI424, MAC PRO Dual 3.46 Ghz 12 core Intel Xeon, Memory: 64gb ram, MAC OS X: 10.8.6
delcosmos

Re: Send levels Bug in DP9

Post by delcosmos »

delcosmos wrote:Hello, I found a new bug in DP9

When you freeze a VI that have a send output, the freezed track doesn't clone the original aux send setting! I mean, the aux send on the freezed channel appears full leveled!

This is annoying because you have to manually set your sends levels on the new freezed :smash:
This is a big issue to me, sometimes I have 15 virtual instruments, each with diferent "send level" settings and a like to freeze them all, with DP8 all the sends levels remain at the same place on the Freezed tracks, DP9 set all the send levels at the max level, and I have to manually re-set one by one.
I can't deal with this, sadly I'm going back to DP8.07. Hope Motu fix this on the next update.
8.07 64bit, Spire, Nexus, Fab FilterDiva, Gladiator, Nexus, Sylenth, Stylus RMX, Live 9, Reason 6.5, Komplete 8, AD Keys, AD Drums, Geist, Ivory, Waves 9 Mercury, Sound Toys, Fab, VEPro, Reason, Live, UAD2, x3 2408mk3, PCI424, MAC PRO Dual 3.46 Ghz 12 core Intel Xeon, Memory: 64gb ram, MAC OS X: 10.8.6
FMiguelez
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by FMiguelez »

Also, and I had already mentioned this in another thread, when one disables a track, then the send pan defaults to <32. It comes back to the original setting when reenabled, but it looks wrong, theres' no reason for it, and it causes potential confusion (as it happened to me). IT is annoying to me because I am enabling/disabling tracks all the time...

It's like if all tracks' volume faders went arbitrarily to --6.3 dB when disabled. It's unacceptable.

I'm finding lots of little bugs in DP9... I hope they fix them soon :(
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
delcosmos

Post by delcosmos »

FMiguelez wrote:Also, and I had already mentioned this in another thread, when one disables a track, then the send pan defaults to <32. It comes back to the original setting when reenabled, but it looks wrong, theres' no reason for it, and it causes potential confusion (as it happened to me). IT is annoying to me because I am enabling/disabling tracks all the time...

It's like if all tracks' volume faders went arbitrarily to --6.3 dB when disabled. It's unacceptable.

I'm finding lots of little bugs in DP9... I hope they fix them soon :(
I can hear you!

And... Theres something else, I used to have 32 "dumy" tracks at the begining of my session to control my two SSL Sigmas, I used to disable those tracks because On some of them I don't need automation. In DP8.07 I was able to still move the faders on those disabled tracks, now with DP9, if you disable a track the fader disappears! So I can't set the level of those "Dumy" tracks unless I enable the channel, but 32 enabled tracks put more strain on my CPU, but anyway, I can live with this, but I really can't live with the "send levels bug".

Going back to DP8.07, hope nothing was broken after installing DP9.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

FMiguelez wrote:Also, and I had already mentioned this in another thread, when one disables a track, then the send pan defaults to <32.(
I'm not getting this. Did you report it? Could MOTU replicate it?
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

bayswater wrote:
FMiguelez wrote:Also, and I had already mentioned this in another thread, when one disables a track, then the send pan defaults to <32.(
I'm not getting this. Did you report it? Could MOTU replicate it?
I admit I have not done such productive thing. I´ve just bitched about it so far :oops:

I´ll report it now.

BTW, the same happens with the sends´ volume pots... when the track is disabled, they all go to minus infinity. When re-enabled, they go back to whatever setting they had when set when enabled. At least visually, it´s scary.
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

FMiguelez wrote:Also, and I had already mentioned this in another thread, when one disables a track, then the send pan defaults to <32.
I can confirm this.
828x MacOS 13.6.6 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

FMiguelez wrote:BTW, the same happens with the sends´ volume pots... when the track is disabled, they all go to minus infinity. When re-enabled, they go back to whatever setting they had when set when enabled. At least visually, it´s scary.
Yes, I am seeing that. I suppose it's a response to the frequent complaint about them defaulting to 0 db. Whatever they did, looks like it's linked to the enabled status. I'd rather they stay where I put them.
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

Perhaps, but then, if it is, is half-implemented, and not really what we wanted...

What we want is that, when we create a new send, its volume does not default to 0 but minus infinity. As far as I see, they still come at 0, but with the added non-sense of showing different values when disabled.

What I love, and it´s the reason I ONLY use the Plasma theme, is that, when sends are unsigned, nothing appears there, so it reduces visual clutter greatly, since you only see what you actually assign. THAT is nice, but not that contradictory behaviour.

delcosmos

Post by delcosmos »

Please watch the sends on the mixer to the right:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Fov_80LBRE
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Please tell us what to watch for.
delcosmos

Post by delcosmos »

Ha ha ha, sorry for my poor video.

I wanted to show that after freezing the track, the sends on the new track doesn't match the original send levels.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

delcosmos wrote:Ha ha ha, sorry for my poor video.

I wanted to show that after freezing the track, the sends on the new track doesn't match the original send levels.
Thanks. The video was fine, I just didn't know which specific bug was being shown.
delcosmos

Post by delcosmos »

Cool! I hope they fix this.
I'm back to my trusty DP8.07, everything is working great now and I can even open the new MW fet plug in!

Best regards.
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

Does it happen every time, for those who are seeing this problem?

There are some Mixer window quirks that I'm seeing when tracks are disabled, but only the first time. Toggling the track enablement (I think I did this in the Tracks Overview) clears it up.

Maybe something similar afoot here.

The main thing I observed was volume sliders at zero when a track is disabled. As I only enable tracks I'm mixing or recording, and like to do audits to make sure things haven't moved unintentionally, I was sufficiently upset by this new problem that I tried to reproduce it and also to see if I could fix it through workflow choices.

I wonder also if this is related to not following the suggestion (which I just learned through the forum after shutting down my DP9 session) of taking a snapshot initially?
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.1, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH