touch mode automation and MIDI track

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
csavetman
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

touch mode automation and MIDI track

Post by csavetman »

A little thing, but In DP9 (and also 8.07), touch mode automation in the mixing board seems to have an issue with MIDI tracks.
Unlike audio tracks, with a MIDI track, the fader (or pan pot) doesn't return back to its automated or snapshot level when I let go of it's control in the mixing board. (it records it correctly however)
It stays where I leave it, (with level or pan playing back at that current position) until I stop transport and hit play again. It then reads the automation fine.
Anyone else seeing this?

Carlos

DP 8.07
Mac Pro Dual quad core 2.8
OS 10.8.5
10 GB ram
csavetman

Re: touch mode automation and MIDI track

Post by csavetman »

csavetman wrote:A little thing, but In DP9 (and also 8.07), touch mode automation in the mixing board seems to have an issue with MIDI tracks.
Unlike audio tracks, with a MIDI track, the fader (or pan pot) doesn't return back to its automated or snapshot level when I let go of it's control in the mixing board. (it records it correctly however)
It stays where I leave it, (with level or pan playing back at that current position) until I stop transport and hit play again. It then reads the automation fine.
Anyone else seeing this?

Carlos

DP 8.07
Mac Pro Dual quad core 2.8
OS 10.8.5
10 GB ram
Bump. Anyone else? Bueller?
csavetman

Post by csavetman »

So should I infer I'm the only one experiencing this behavior, or perhaps someone else sees it as well, but it's just not an issue for you?
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

csavetman wrote:A little thing, but In DP9 (and also 8.07), touch mode automation in the mixing board seems to have an issue with MIDI tracks.
Anyone else seeing this?
Using touch mode for volume on a MIDI track, I see the volume ramping back to the level it was at before the newly written automation values. I think this is what I expected, and different from what you are seeing.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
csavetman

Post by csavetman »

bayswater wrote:
Anyone else seeing this?
Using touch mode for volume on a MIDI track, I see the volume ramping back to the level it was at before the newly written automation values. I think this is what I expected, and different from what you are seeing.
Right. The data does indeed ramp back to its existing automation level. However, at least on my end, the actual channel fader in mixing board remains where I leave it when I let go.
The result being if I touch the fader to adjust automation further without first stopping transport, it will insert the point where the fader happens to be, (which doesn't correspond to what the automation curve shows in the sequence editor.)

Hope that makes sense.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

csavetman wrote:Right. The data does indeed ramp back to its existing automation level. However, at least on my end, the actual channel fader in mixing board remains where I leave it when I let go.
The result being if I touch the fader to adjust automation further without first stopping transport, it will insert the point where the fader happens to be, (which doesn't correspond to what the automation curve shows in the sequence editor.)

Hope that makes sense.
The fader was jumping back to the initial level, but after trying this for a few minutes, I see it doesn't always do that. I'm using a control surface, and either both faders (HW and SW) jump back, or both stay in place.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
csavetman

Post by csavetman »

bayswater wrote:
csavetman wrote:Right. The data does indeed ramp back to its existing automation level. However, at least on my end, the actual channel fader in mixing board remains where I leave it when I let go.

Hope that makes sense.
The fader was jumping back to the initial level, but after trying this for a few minutes, I see it doesn't always do that. I'm using a control surface, and either both faders (HW and SW) jump back, or both stay in place.
Thanks. Same here. Also using a control surface. ( Mackie Control)
It happens when adjusting either the hardware or software mixer. Sometimes it jumps back correctly. More often, not.