Sidechain compression of a single frequency band in DP

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
Edouardo
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Sidechain compression of a single frequency band in DP

Post by Edouardo »

Hi there

I have been using Reason since Reason 3, and only the past last couple of month, I am transiting to DP8, the first 'standard' DAW ever...

There is one thing I used to do a lot in Reason is to duck bass frequencies using a compressor triggered by a kick (Sidechain). I found out how to sidechain compress in DP8, pretty straight forward, but it covers the full spectrum...

In Reason I would not link the compressor to any audio: just use it to send a signal (the noise reduction level) to an EQ. The EQ, connected to the bass audio, would duck only the lowest frequencies when the compressor tells it too (i.e when the kick hits).

This is pretty standard stuff, and is used in all modern productions. I am pretty sure some plugin must exist in DP to do that: side chain compression of a single frequency band. But I have now clue which!

Any ideas? Thanks!
HCMarkus
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Sidechain compression of a single frequency band in DP

Post by HCMarkus »

Look at Masterworks plugs… one of 'em is a multi band limiter. Set parameters so only bass frequencies (you can adjust crossover freq per band) are effected (high threshold for other frequencies). Any multi band plugin that you can side chain to should work, just make sure only bass frequencies are being compressed/limited.
Edouardo

Post by Edouardo »

Thanks HCMarkus, I checked the MW multiband compressor. Where is the side chain input? I only have MOTU's DP8 and NI Komplete plugins to work with.
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

Edouardo wrote:Thanks HCMarkus, I checked the MW multiband compressor. Where is the side chain input? I only have MOTU's DP8 and NI Komplete plugins to work with.
Don't know if it does… anyone? Anyone? Ferris?
Rick Cornish

Post by Rick Cornish »

You might want to check out TrackSpacer. It does exactly what you are looking for.

Free demo here…
http://www.wavesfactory.com/trackspacer.php

It does occasionally go on sale.
Rick Cornish

DP 11 on M2 Mac Studio (64mB mem. + 2tB int. SSD + two 2tB ext. SSDs, and Mac OS Sonoma). VIs from MOTU, Spectrasonics, NI, UVI, 8dio, Soniccouture, East West, Spitfire, Heavyocity, Vir2, and more; plus Waves 14, Brainworx, iZotope, Wavesfactory, Oeksound, Final Mix, JST, SPL, PSP, UVI, Valhalla DSP, and other FX plugs, Roland A-88, Apogee Quartet, iCON Platform Nano, Genelec 1032a and Westlake BBSM4 monitors, Gibson HR Fusion III. rickcornish.net
Edouardo

Post by Edouardo »

Thanks Guys,

Rick, I like it: It appears to do what I need for this particular track. Yet, a bit expensive for me for just this single function (It appears to have only hi pass and low pass). I would need a side chain that controls whatever band of an EQ. I enquired Alloy 2 from Izotope: It appears to have a well developped side chain capability on the dynamic EQ module. It irritates me though to purchase it as I owe Ozone 5 where the modules do similar stuff (without the sidechain). All other tools I have found that do that are really too expensive for my budget, so until there is a significant sale, My sidechain EQing will be... by hand :-( (i'll be the compressor)!
Edouardo

Post by Edouardo »

Oh, and I seriously recommend that MOTU updates their EQ Dynamics plugin to allow sidechain assignations: It looks like a great tool, it just needs sidechain trigger capabilities to be perfect.
Rick Cornish

Post by Rick Cornish »

Eduardo—TrackSpacer is a 32-band EQ that continuously analyzes your sidechain signal and then applies the opposing frequency curve to the track you place the plug-in on in real time. It is not a high-pass/low-pass filter. As I mentioned, it occasionally goes on sale.
Rick Cornish

DP 11 on M2 Mac Studio (64mB mem. + 2tB int. SSD + two 2tB ext. SSDs, and Mac OS Sonoma). VIs from MOTU, Spectrasonics, NI, UVI, 8dio, Soniccouture, East West, Spitfire, Heavyocity, Vir2, and more; plus Waves 14, Brainworx, iZotope, Wavesfactory, Oeksound, Final Mix, JST, SPL, PSP, UVI, Valhalla DSP, and other FX plugs, Roland A-88, Apogee Quartet, iCON Platform Nano, Genelec 1032a and Westlake BBSM4 monitors, Gibson HR Fusion III. rickcornish.net
tommymandel

Post by tommymandel »

Edouardo wrote:Thanks Guys,

Rick, I like it: It appears to do what I need for this particular track.
I think MOTU's dynamic EQ will do this, but that's beyond me. Here's what I often do:

The old MOTU plug-in named Dynamics has a side chain input.
1) Create an Aux Track, name it Dynamics Trigger.
√2) Assign the Audio input of this Aux Track to "None".
√3) Assign the Audio output of this Aux Track to a new bus, Bus 11-12.
2) Create a new bus, Bus 9-10.
√5)Go to the Mixing Board in DP.
e) Assign the Audio output of your regular Bass track(s) to bus 11-12.
3) Assign MOTU's Masterworks EQ as an insert on this Aux Track (Dynamics Trigger), and set it to only pass through the lowest frequencies, as you usually do.
π) Create another Aux Track, name it P-BASS (for processed.)
4) Assign MOTU's old Dynamics Plug-In to an insert on this P-BASS Aux.
5) Set the old Dynamics Plug-in's upper Tab as Compressor.
6) Set its Control Source to Bus 9.
7) Make an efx send on the Kick's audio track.
8) Assign that send to Bus 9 and turn it up all the way.
9) Assign the P-BASS Aux Track's INPUT to bus 11-12, and output to Main or w/e...
10) Now your Bass will be coming up on the P-BASS Aux Track fader.
11) Tweak the old MOTU Dynamics plug-in so that its control input (from the Kick track) ducks its audio input (the Bass); e.g. Attack = 0.1, Release = 0.15, Threshhold = -36, Ratio = 3.6:1 (for starters)

You could save those 2 Aux Track configuratiosn in "Save Insert Setting" with the topmost Insert button, or save it all as a Template, or ???.

I realize there's a certain irrational element in this procedure, but it does work.
DP 11.03 12core(5,1): 64GB/10.13.6, two 24i/o's, two 2408mk3's, 4pre, MicroLite-- MBP 2015 16GB/ 2TB 'Blade SSD 10.14.4, Mainstage, Numa C2x, ReMOTE SL -- SupDrmr, 32 Lives, SampleTron,Keyscape,MTronPro,RolCloud,Icarus,Dune,OB-E; Clearmountain Domain,Soundtoys,AdrenaLinnSync, LinnSequencers,Tempest, Montage, JU80, Sledge, Prophet-X, OB-6 V-Synth, s70xs, D-50, TS-10, JD800, Karma, Pa-1x B3, Wurly, Mason Hamlin.
Hardware rig: http://www.tommymandel.com/famous.html/tmrig.html"
Tim

Post by Tim »

I've never tried this, but it might work:
Duplicate the track, or set up an Aux track to send it through.
In the inserts of the dupe, put a Phase Reverse (or Trim with phase
flipped), an EQ, and a MW Gate in.
Set the eq (HP and LP filters) for the frequency you want to duck. Sidechain the gate with the controller track.
Salt and Pepper to taste.
Tim

Post by Tim »

Edouardo wrote:Oh, and I seriously recommend that MOTU updates their EQ Dynamics plugin to allow sidechain assignations: It looks like a great tool, it just needs sidechain trigger capabilities to be perfect.
Yeah. To me it's a no brainer that all compressor/dynamics plugins these days, even if they're vintage emulations should have sidechain inputs, as well as wet/dry mix. Is it that hard to code in?
Edouardo

Post by Edouardo »

Thanks Tim and Tommy for your creative suggestions. I appreciate! On a purely theoretical aspect, it should work, yet when I am making music I can't let these issues disturb my workflow (Everything needs to be simple and set up).

For now Spacetracker is still top of the list as Alloy 2 sidechain's ability doesn't appear to work with DP8 64 bits (No sidechain menu in the DP plugin window. I found a forum from 2012 that described this issue but does not offer any solution...). I actually complained to MOTU: I found this unacceptable that after years, they haven't solved a simple routing problem on their flagship product (I use DP8.07)!

Musical Greetings

Edouard
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

I don't have this plugin, but I have other stuff from Melda and it seems like a good company. This is supposed to have side-chain input, but I don't know how it's implemented in DP. Worth checking out:

http://www.meldaproduction.com/plugins/ ... ndDynamics

Phil
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Alloy 2 sidechain's ability doesn't appear to work with DP8 64 bits
Does it work in 32bit?

To my knowledge, only the VST3 version of Alloy 2 supports side chain. DP does not support VST3.

Here's an old thread how to do it with the Dynamics and MW EQ plugins.
http://www.motunation.com/forum/viewtop ... 26&t=45388

Does this no longer work?
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Edouardo

Post by Edouardo »

Does it work in 32bit?
Actually I misunderstood one of your previous post Mike (http://www.motunation.com/forum/viewtop ... =1&t=51299). It probably doesn't work with 32bits either...
First duplicate the vocal track to be de-essed.
Place a Dynamics Plug on the original vocal track with side chain input set to your side-chain bus.
Set the duplicated track's output to the side-chain bus, and insert the MW EQ with all but the desired ess range cut.
Adjust your EQ and compressor to taste.
(From the post suggested)

Is that what you meant? That is not exactly it, this is the Side chain EQed so that it cuts only when a specific frequency band shows up a little loud. A sweet trick that I will keep in my arsenal, but not what I am looking for.

I wrote to tech support. They were very prompt to respond and cordial, which I appreciate grandly. In the 2nd message to them, I mentionned the conclusion I see appearing from the discussion here: There is a problem with VST3 support from the host. I asked them if it was correct that this is the source of the issue. If yes, It is just not possible in DP to use the sidechain capabilities of Alloy2 (which would be very sad...). I asked them if this issue is solved in DP9...

I'll keep you guys informed. thanks a lot for helping by the way!

Musical Greetings,

Edouard