Sidechain compression of a single frequency band in DP

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
Edouardo
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Re: Sidechain compression of a single frequency band in DP

Post by Edouardo »

Just to let you know guys:

I tried TrackSpacer. It works but wasn't convinced: No scaling and poor visual feedback. Very difficult to tweek the settings like I truely want. But it works.

I contacted MOTU and had great support. they recognised a bug here with Alloy 2: The fact that DP doesn't recognise the sidechain input of Alloy has something to do with Windows. My contact discussed with developpers: it will be fixed in a future update of DP9. They also suggested a way around by splitting the signal to be EQ-Ducked into Multiple Aux tracks with MW Eq's on it, and place a sidechain comp on the band I want to Duck with the sidechain signal. That should work but a little labor intensive setting the EQs to make sure the overlaps are right.

In the meantime I downloaded NOVA67P, a free plugin. Looked like the ideal solution, very powerful. Unfortunately, it didn't pass DP's plugin scan.

I found the solution with ToneBoosters' TB_FIX, a great little dynamic EQ with external sidechain accepted by DP (VST 2.4 protocol). I tested it and bought it: 20$ only. The visual feedback is not very smooth, but largely sufficient to work with reliably when combined with my ears (Much better than trackspacer anyway). with 6 points, all controlable with the sidechain, it can be quite inspiring to try weird stuff. After so much research, I am delighted to finally have filled that gap in my workflow, and can move on.

Thanks everybody for your help in that quest!

Edouard
tommymandel
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Sidechain compression of a single frequency band in DP

Post by tommymandel »

Hah! :D :P
DP 11.03 12core(5,1): 64GB/10.13.6, two 24i/o's, two 2408mk3's, 4pre, MicroLite-- MBP 2015 16GB/ 2TB 'Blade SSD 10.14.4, Mainstage, Numa C2x, ReMOTE SL -- SupDrmr, 32 Lives, SampleTron,Keyscape,MTronPro,RolCloud,Icarus,Dune,OB-E; Clearmountain Domain,Soundtoys,AdrenaLinnSync, LinnSequencers,Tempest, Montage, JU80, Sledge, Prophet-X, OB-6 V-Synth, s70xs, D-50, TS-10, JD800, Karma, Pa-1x B3, Wurly, Mason Hamlin.
Hardware rig: http://www.tommymandel.com/famous.html/tmrig.html"