DP9 Keeps Crashing

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
mikehalloran
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: DP9 Keeps Crashing

Post by mikehalloran »

yamguitar wrote:Hey, mikehalloran, I tried your suggestion... I ran Console while firing up DP, and guess what was causing the crash?... That Mackie plugin, just as you said. I reinstalled, repaired permissions and rebooted, and as before, the first startup of DP worked fine, but then it crashed again on every subsequent startup. Any suggestions on what to do with that plugin? Tried removing it... didn't seem to fix the problem. Thoughts?
The first time it happened to me was in DP 8 and the OS 10.9.1 update. I had to reinstall three times ... Then it worked. I just couldn't think of anything else to do.

My symptom was same as yours -- crashing on startup.

What are your security settings? Try changing to Allow apps from anywhere in System Preferences/Security. This is a temporary setting and will revert to default after 30 days.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
musicman691

Post by musicman691 »

mikehalloran wrote: The first time it happened to me was in DP 8 and the OS 10.9.1 update. I had to reinstall three times ... Then it worked. I just couldn't think of anything else to do.

My symptom was same as yours -- crashing on startup.

What are your security settings? Try changing to Allow apps from anywhere in System Preferences/Security. This is a temporary setting and will revert to default after 30 days.
Does this have to be done in OSX 10.9.5 as well? I just set it once when I installed Mavericks and never had to change it/renew it again. I can install and run anything from anywhere which is what I want.
mikebeckmotu
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by mikebeckmotu »

My initial DP9 installation worked great. Then, a few weeks later, it wouldn't get to the welcome screen before crashing. I couldn't remember if I had done any changes to the system, and Console was not pointing me in any particular direction, but I took a guess and ended up removing the Slate Digital VBC and VMR plugins from my AU folder (I don't enable VST in DP), and DP9 launched. I noticed that there are some recent updates available on the Slate site, so I will be trying again, along with updating the iLok software and hoping it works. I really like the Slate plugins.
I didn't suspect any of the plugins at first, because they all worked as they should in other DAWs (Logic, Studio One, Tracktion, etc.).
8-core i9 MacBookPro 16-inch, 16gb ram, Catalina, Focusrite Scarlett 18i8, DP not installed yet
Michael Canavan
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by Michael Canavan »

mikehalloran wrote:Too many people suggest trashing Preferences first as if it is a panacea for every problem. Problem is that you have to rebuild them by resetting which takes time. If that's not the problem, no thanks.
Solution to that is to always drag the preferences to the desktop. That way if it's not the preferences just drag them back in. It's a quick painless way to check if corrupt preferences are the problem.
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.