DP 9 bug - plug's won't automate "Bypass"

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
cbergm7210
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

DP 9 bug - plug's won't automate "Bypass"

Post by cbergm7210 »

Anyone else see this? In DP 9 it will not record an automation for bypassing plugins.
Mac Pro 2.66GHz Dual Quad Core Nahalem, 16 Gigs RAM, DP 9, RME Fireface 800, MOTU MIDIexpress 128, Mac OS 10.8.5

http://www.rfjmusic.com
RROY

Re: DP 9 bug - plug's won't automate "Bypass"

Post by RROY »

Just tried automating bypass with a UAD plug-in in DP 9 and it works for me.
Mac Pro 2x2.4 quad core /24 gb ram/OS 10.13.6, Dp 10.13, MTP AV, /UAD 2, KOMPLETE 12, Stylus RMX, SD 3.0, EZ Drummer 3, A&H ZED R 16.
cbergm7210

Post by cbergm7210 »

RROY wrote:Just tried automating bypass with a UAD plug-in in DP 9 and it works for me.
It does work for MW EQ for example, but not for Waves, Hoffa or Antares on this end.
Mac Pro 2.66GHz Dual Quad Core Nahalem, 16 Gigs RAM, DP 9, RME Fireface 800, MOTU MIDIexpress 128, Mac OS 10.8.5

cbergm7210

Post by cbergm7210 »

No for VerbSession, UltraReverb, RDeEsser, but yes for Valhalla and H-Delay (which is Waves...odd).

cbergm7210

Post by cbergm7210 »

Magic Dave's email confirmation reply to the bug just now:

Chris,

I don’t have all the same plugs as yourself but I do have the Waves Ren De-esser. Interestingly, the bypass automation works on the mono version but not on the stereo version!

We’re working on DP 9.01 right now. I’ll forward your report to the design team.

Dave

toodamnhip

Post by toodamnhip »

Thanks for the heads up, will have to check this when back at studio. I sincerely hope DP 9.01 fixes a variety of automation bugs, including broken snap SHOT automation and pasting of automation on the fly.
It's a real drag to have lost these advanced automation techniques and in most instances, I need t manually enter EVERY parameter into a given Waves plug before snap shot will work.
Mac Pro (Late 2013
2.7 GHz 12-Core Intel Xeon E5
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
MOTU 8pre, MTP AV, 828 mkII
Tons of VIS and plug ins. SSD hard drives etc
RROY

Post by RROY »

Odd, I just tried automating bypass on a stereo version of UltraReverb and a stereo Burnley 73 Demo on an instrument track and a stereo audio track and the bypass automation worked fine.
Mac Pro 2x2.4 quad core /24 gb ram/OS 10.13.6, Dp 10.13, MTP AV, /UAD 2, KOMPLETE 12, Stylus RMX, SD 3.0, EZ Drummer 3, A&H ZED R 16.
toodamnhip

Post by toodamnhip »

RROY wrote:Odd, I just tried automating bypass on a stereo version of UltraReverb and a stereo Burnley 73 Demo on an instrument track and a stereo audio track and the bypass automation worked fine.
Sounds intermittent, like some plugs work, some don;t..
Mac Pro (Late 2013
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
Tobor

Post by Tobor »

I don't know if it's an automation related bug or not but suddenly now my Kontakt instruments reset to 0.00 within Kontakt every time I rewind.

Most annoying.
iMac 2.7 i5, DP 9.5.1, 10.13.3, Apollo Twin, 828, MTPAV, Toontrack, Spectrasonics, BFD3, Drumcore, Reason 10, Live 10, Logic X, Spitfire, Zebra, Miroslav, Waves, Kronos X, MOXF 6, Axiom 49.
toodamnhip

Post by toodamnhip »

As the week has gone by, I getting more and more unhappy with 9. This automation bug is a serious issue. It means that all master projects that had any muting in any effect are subject to error. It’s random, some waves work, some don’t?..yikes...I get seriously unhappy when DP breaks masters that clients have paid a lot of money for...please MOTU, 9.01 fast!!..
Also, I cannot assign new MIDI track to a MIDI channel, pull down menu not working...what?
Mac Pro (Late 2013
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
musicman691

Post by musicman691 »

toodamnhip wrote:As the week has gone by, I getting more and more unhappy with 9. This automation bug is a serious issue. It means that all master projects that had any muting in any effect are subject to error. It’s random, some waves work, some don’t?..yikes...I get seriously unhappy when DP breaks masters that clients have paid a lot of money for...please MOTU, 9.01 fast!!..
Also, I cannot assign new MIDI track to a MIDI channel, pull down menu not working...what?
No problem here with changing MIDI channels to a multi-timbral vi and said vi seeing the change. Mute automation I can't speak to though. But considering the bugs being mentioned here - one more vote for DP9.01 but rather than fast make it right.
toodamnhip

Post by toodamnhip »

musicman691 wrote:
toodamnhip wrote:As the week has gone by, I getting more and more unhappy with 9. This automation bug is a serious issue. It means that all master projects that had any muting in any effect are subject to error. It’s random, some waves work, some don’t?..yikes...I get seriously unhappy when DP breaks masters that clients have paid a lot of money for...please MOTU, 9.01 fast!!..
No problem here with changing MIDI channels to a multi-timbral vi and said vi seeing the change. Mute automation I can't speak to though. But considering the bugs being mentioned here - one more vote for DP9.01 but rather than fast make it right.
After a comp/DP. re start, MIDI channels select properly again. But I am not the only one who has had this issue so somethings up.
And again, i would warn anyone with a serious mix made in DP 8 to REVERT to DP 8 for playback or at least do a thorough A-B check for mix accuracy in DP 9.
Mac Pro (Late 2013
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

The saga continues: upgrade and break it, fix it, fix it, fix it, fix it; upgrade and break it, fix it, fix it... etc.

I get it. DP, or any DAW worth the money, is complicated. Every programming move is fraught with exceptions, "while", "if", and more. The problem is that it's nearly 30 years old, recoded for PowerPC, again for OS X, again for Intel, again for 64 bit (Cocoa compliant). And even bigger: you never know where to look for a connected bit of code that could affect every window in the sucker.

So, we understand, MOTU, that it's tough. But we're tough customers. This ain't a job for lightweights, nor do I think anyone at MOTU is lacking in skills. Just think like a musician and make it "Carnegie Hall Ready."

We're in awe of you guys. It's just that sometimes we gotta vent. We seem to have a buggier-than-usual release. I don't know what internal turmoil this thing went through before it was released, but that's not over. It's got to be right.

Shoosh
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
musicman691

Post by musicman691 »

Shooshie wrote:The saga continues: upgrade and break it, fix it, fix it, fix it, fix it; upgrade and break it, fix it, fix it... etc.

I get it. DP, or any DAW worth the money, is complicated. Every programming move is fraught with exceptions, "while", "if", and more. The problem is that it's nearly 30 years old, recoded for PowerPC, again for OS X, again for Intel, again for 64 bit (Cocoa compliant). And even bigger: you never know where to look for a connected bit of code that could affect every window in the sucker.

So, we understand, MOTU, that it's tough. But we're tough customers. This ain't a job for lightweights, nor do I think anyone at MOTU is lacking in skills. Just think like a musician and make it "Carnegie Hall Ready."

We're in awe of you guys. It's just that sometimes we gotta vent. We seem to have a buggier-than-usual release. I don't know what internal turmoil this thing went through before it was released, but that's not over. It's got to be right.

Shoosh
I'm thinking the beta test field could have been bigger (more testers) with systems in the various OSX and Windows versions. That wide net would more likely than not caught all these little things we're seeing. Having a too small test field could account for the thing that some people aren't having issues (or all of them) while other people are having nothing but problems.
toodamnhip

Post by toodamnhip »

I gotta say, it really annoys me, pisses me off etc, to have offered to Beta test so many times, and then see silly bugs. I have even offered to leave the forum if that would somehow mute my vociferous complaints, making me more “beta compliment”...whatever that means (non-disclosure) etc.
And the fact that I work with several companies that have various issues but I cannot “cross test”, is even more frustrating. It truly is a “beta test short circuit” to test for various companies and not be able to go back to my own DAW to correlate information.
Not to slight any DP testers but I would have caught these issues, maybe within hours or within a a few days for sure, and many others among us would have too. And if you go back to companies I have worked with for years, who knows how many bugs I could have helped discover yrs ago, or at least I could have felt that everyone heard the issue and somehow just CAN’T fix it.

I whole heartedly agree that a wider swath of testers would help here. I have even had to relay bugs to MOTU testers I work with at other companies I test for, because I couldn’t get info on a DP version in mid production.....and needed MOTU to know what was going on....yikes...
(And yes, I do use the MOTU bug reporting public system, but last time I tried, I actually gave up on it for the 1st time because it kept demanding completed info that I had already entered. PS MOTU, loosen up the techlink system to allow a submission even if all fields aren’t filled in...we all lose when some small, technical piece of info keeps MOTU from hearing of bugs).
I may be missing something, but MOTU seems like a country club that few people get asked to test for.

I really wouldn’t give a damn except for when my old masters don’t automate right, or work right, or bugs start costing my clients money. Then I draw the line and wonder why I wasn’t allowed to help?
I know of others here at the forum that are very respected that have had the same issue of wanting to help with Beta and not being allowed to. I think there might be some sort of “black list”..who knows....and really, who cares?
It’s not about ego, its about getting the bugs out of our beloved program BEFORE release.
Sorry to “vent” as Shooshie says, but the plug in "mute issue" is unacceptable to me as it ruins past work..RECENT past work. I hear DP 8 still works but I also hear that some things in 8 get changed when moving back from 9. Not something I want to deal with when Ms. pop star sits down to listen to a mix after being on tour, asks for a “small change”, and the LIVE mix goes boom! Makes me plenty nervous..lol
Anyway, thank you for listening my fellow “public beta team”. I know we all love DP and do whatever we can think of to “help” make it better.
Mac Pro (Late 2013
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13