DP 9 bug - plug's won't automate "Bypass"

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
dix
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: DP 9 bug - plug's won't automate "Bypass"

Post by dix »

I hear DP 8 still works but I also hear that some things in 8 get changed when moving back from 9.
That's the first I've heard of this. It doesn't appear to be anything like the DP8-back-to-DP7 transition that required protecting a lot of prefs, the LAME framework etc. What all gets changed? Thx
14-inch MBP M1 Max (2021), 13.6.x, 64GB RAM, UAD Quad Tb Satellite, 4 displays ::: 2009 4,1 > 5,1 MacPro 12-core 3.33 ghz , 10.14.x, 96GB RAM, GeForce GTX 770 , NewerTech eSATA/USB3 PCIe Host Adapter, UAD-2 Quad, ::: 15-inch MBP (2015) 10.14.x, 16GB RAM ::: Lynx Aurora (n) USB ::: DP (latest version), Vienna Ensemble Pro danwool.com
toodamnhip

Post by toodamnhip »

dix wrote:
I hear DP 8 still works but I also hear that some things in 8 get changed when moving back from 9.
That's the first I've heard of this. It doesn't appear to be anything like the DP8-back-to-DP7 transition that required protecting a lot of prefs, the LAME framework etc. What all gets changed? Thx
I think the stuff I heard gets changed was minor, such as a color scheme or small prefs, but the point is this: ANY change going back less me to now have to double check “what other changes” are going on? My guess is it isn’t a big deal and I am sorry of my comments made it sound like a big deal. But until I test this, any change in 8 necessitates lots of A-B testing to ensure masters sound precisely as I left them.
Mac Pro (Late 2013
2.7 GHz 12-Core Intel Xeon E5
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
MOTU 8pre, MTP AV, 828 mkII
Tons of VIS and plug ins. SSD hard drives etc
dix

Post by dix »

I guess because this is a relatively small upgrade it's much easier than it's been in the past to go back and forth between versions. I think it'd be safer to run projects started in 8 in 8 when the client is present. It is a .0 version after all.

...btw also I'm seeing that some plugin's bypass automate some don't in DP9.
14-inch MBP M1 Max (2021), 13.6.x, 64GB RAM, UAD Quad Tb Satellite, 4 displays ::: 2009 4,1 > 5,1 MacPro 12-core 3.33 ghz , 10.14.x, 96GB RAM, GeForce GTX 770 , NewerTech eSATA/USB3 PCIe Host Adapter, UAD-2 Quad, ::: 15-inch MBP (2015) 10.14.x, 16GB RAM ::: Lynx Aurora (n) USB ::: DP (latest version), Vienna Ensemble Pro danwool.com
dix

Post by dix »

Not fixed in 9.01 for me.
pencilina

Post by pencilina »

I'm having this problem in 9.01 also with lots o plugins - even with motu deesser. It writes bypass automaton by doesn't follow it...
Latest DP, Gigabyte Designaire z390 i9 Hackintosh 32G Ram, Lucid ADA88192, RME FF800 and FF802 on M1 MPB, Ventura, and a Pencilina
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

Urgh!

Me too! I'm seeing this with EVERY plugin, MOTU's and Waves'.

It took me a while of pulling my hair to discover that the automation for bypass does not work. I wasted so much time figuring out why things sounded fine one minute and bad the next...

Now, this IS a very serious bug, and I will have to go back to all my projects and see how my automation did not work (I use bypass automation all the time)...

Worst of all, sometimes it WORKS in the sense that it sounds as if the bypass is on or off, but the bypass button (and the italics in the mixer) does not reflect its current status. And sometimes this is still true, and the sound is as if it does nothing.

So, what's the alternative if this thing doesn't work? How do we bypass a plugin while MOTU fixes this?

It'll take MOTU weeks to come up with a fix...

:smash:
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman