DP 9 impressions and issues thread

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
bayswater
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: DP 9 impressions and issues thread

Post by bayswater »

.... well, I reloaded the project and the problem went away. I guess the project was corrupt. Now, if I switch the waveform view to rectified for the SE, it goes back to the way it was -- little or no waveform showing. Perhaps the view got "stuck" in rectified mode at some point.

Anyway, as you suggest, the rectified view doesn't work in the SE, although it does in the TO.

EDIT: The rectified view just went sideway in the TO too. I zoomed, and now all I see is a single bar at all zoom levels in the TO. This stuff is pretty unstable on my MBP.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

James Steele wrote:
Gravity Jim wrote:Still don't feel a need for Mute MIDI Notes, but I may find one now that it's here.
Most useful thing about it for me is that I don't have to hear about it on this board anymore. People can move on to a different feature they feel is lacking. :)
That is the primary reason why I've been vigorously supporting the addition of MIDI Mute. It's not that I've never thought of it. I've wondered why it's not there a time or two, for sure, but I've never stopped to fret over it. But just to get it out of the forum will be a gift! That and "is there a PDF manual?" Thanks, MOTU, for both.

Shoosh
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

Good to see others have noticed this issue with the Sequence View as well, if only because it means it may be common enough to get attention and a bug fix.

I have been assuming so far that it is User Error on my part, related to some new feature or two that are automatically turned on. I didn't see anything new in Preferences or when exploring the drop menus, so am waiting to get a chance to explore the PDF manual, which is annoying as it will block the screen (I prefer printed manuals). That's why I'm putting it off a bit longer.

Hopefully I'll have time to explore this issue in more depth later today or tomorrow. I had a devil of a time making last minute audio edits last night, but I'm about to master this CD now so can start doing some exploratory editing in a non-critical project soon to try things out and see if there's a workaround to get the waveforms displaying properly again.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.6, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
toodamnhip

Automated MIDI doesn’t snap back correctly

Post by toodamnhip »

I am starting to feel like the King of automation here..lol...so many posts about automation, and so many issues with it in a variety of scenarios.

Here’s a new one...

MIDI is NOT snapping back or “chasing” to it’s underlying automation amount after letting go of a fader.....like it used to in DP 8.
In touch mode, if I grab a MIDI fader, pull it up or down and let go, either while writing automation or in automation playback mode, the fader stays after I let it go. It used to, (and it’s supposed to) SNAP BACK to the previous automation data. This seems broken in DP 9.
If I hit stop and hit play again, the fader will indeed snap back like it’s supposed to . But it used to snap back the moment you let go of it when in touch mode.
Also, if in Latch mode, it used to be that is you pulled down a fader, then turned automation off and back on again, the fader would jump back to it’s underlying automation point the moment you turned automation back on again. But this is also, broken as you need to stop and start the transport for DP to again chase to the correct automation.
Mac Pro (Late 2013
2.7 GHz 12-Core Intel Xeon E5
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
MOTU 8pre, MTP AV, 828 mkII
Tons of VIS and plug ins. SSD hard drives etc
csavetman

Re: Automated MIDI doesn’t snap back correctly

Post by csavetman »

toodamnhip wrote:I am starting to feel like the King of automation here..lol...so many posts about automation, and so many issues with it in a variety of scenarios.

Here’s a new one...

MIDI is NOT snapping back or “chasing” to it’s underlying automation amount after letting go of a fader.....like it used to in DP 8.
In touch mode, if I grab a MIDI fader, pull it up or down and let go, either while writing automation or in automation playback mode, the fader stays after I let it go. It used to, (and it’s supposed to) SNAP BACK to the previous automation data. This seems broken in DP 9.
If I hit stop and hit play again, the fader will indeed snap back like it’s supposed to . But it used to snap back the moment you let go of it when in touch mode.
Also, if in Latch mode, it used to be that is you pulled down a fader, then turned automation off and back on again, the fader would jump back to it’s underlying automation point the moment you turned automation back on again. But this is also, broken as you need to stop and start the transport for DP to again chase to the correct automation.
I recently came across this issue as well.
http://www.motunation.com/forum/viewtop ... 22#p509608

Carlos
toodamnhip

Divide Comp not un-doable?

Post by toodamnhip »

MOTU, please make “dividing a comp track” while in comping mode..UN-do-able.
It is used to be and is no longer so in DP 9.
Mac Pro (Late 2013
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

You know they can't hear you?
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

You lost me. You can't divide a comp track. You divide the takes. I'd certainly want that operation to be undoable.
toodamnhip

Post by toodamnhip »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:You know they can't hear you?
I am done using MOTUs website for tech issues. They monitor all of this site. The tech links are a pain and require redundant info and can get stuck if just one info box isn;t right. I gave up on them. I think they do hear us here. If MOTU wants me to use their tech links, they need to re program them so that if a box is not filled out, it will still submit.
Last edited by toodamnhip on Fri Jul 31, 2015 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mac Pro (Late 2013
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
toodamnhip

Post by toodamnhip »

bayswater wrote:You lost me. You can't divide a comp track. You divide the takes. I'd certainly want that operation to be undoable.
OK, whatever you want to call it..”dividing takes"..whatever.
It stopped being un doable on my comp in 9.
Mac Pro (Late 2013
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

and you want it to be undoable because ...
Robert Randolph

Post by Robert Randolph »

bayswater wrote:and you want it to be undoable because ...
So you can undo it.

If you misclick wildly off the mark, it can be a pain in the ass the fix the comp you're already deep in the comping process.

Despite doing a bunch of comps in Dp9 so far, I haven't even noticed that (if?) this isn't undoable. So maybe it's not that big of a deal, but I can understand why someone would want it for sure.

Even for the sake of consistency, it should be.

(doesn't work in dp8 or 9 for me fwiw)
Last edited by Robert Randolph on Fri Jul 31, 2015 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

It is undoable. But there's seems to be a bug. If you do a single undo, the dividing line does not disappear. But if you do a second undo, it does disappear. If you redo the second undo, all is well. If you redo the first undo, the line will partially reappear. If you refresh the screen, it all looks fine.

Try this: add a dividing line. Undo. It's still there. Scroll a few screens left. Scroll a few screens right. It's gone.
toodamnhip

Post by toodamnhip »

bayswater wrote:It is undoable. But there's seems to be a bug. If you do a single undo, the dividing line does not disappear. But if you do a second undo, it does disappear. If you redo the second undo, all is well. If you redo the first undo, the line will partially reappear. If you refresh the screen, it all looks fine.

Try this: add a dividing line. Undo. It's still there. Scroll a few screens left. Scroll a few screens right. It's gone.
Yeah, I noticed that multiple undo-s work too. But it’s broken and that’s that. it needs to be fixed. Who wants to screw around with “unknown extra un-dos” anyway? That will make me nuts,
Mac Pro (Late 2013
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

Sounds like it's just a graphic glitch and it's not broken if I'm reading this correctly.

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here