DP 9 impressions and issues thread

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
mikehalloran
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: DP 9 impressions and issues thread

Post by mikehalloran »

Fontbook shows 11 "yellow" fonts on one of my Macs. All of them are musical symbols. Perhaps these have missing or lower case characters.
No doubt. I have a lot of holiday fonts that I use for Christmas letters and the like. None have a complete character set and all show up in yellow.

You know, I just don't need © in a Christmas Tree font. While the OS considers this a minor problem, I don't.

Calligraphy used to be a hobby of mine. Now that I can no longer do it, specialty fonts will have to do for me.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
robiedobie
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by robiedobie »

Large projects created in DP 8, simply don't work in DP 9.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

sigh
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

:rofl:
bayswater wrote:sigh
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

robiedobie wrote:Large projects created in DP 8, simply don't work in DP 9.
OK... mine do. I can edit, save and everything. It's certain that I don't use DP like you do but such a blanket statement is not correct.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Remember the comedy troupe "kids in the hall"? One of their great lines: "Mom, in France, kids are drunk." There's no arguing with these things.
Robert Randolph

Post by Robert Randolph »

robiedobie wrote:Large projects created in DP 8, simply don't work in DP 9.
They work fine for me, with identical performance.

I would love to help you get your projects working if you could provide more information about your system, and the contents of these projects.
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

I'm beginning to wonder if the reproducibility of so called "bugs" may have something to do with use or non use of Consolidated Windows. I notice much more automation stability if the if the Sequence Editor is popped out. Also, has anyone noticed that the "Enable Consolidated Windows" tick box is now missing from the Preferences Options, as is NOT depicted on p.100 of the DP9 pdf manual?

EDIT, well, I'm again experiencing the Automation point crash again with the SE popped out. I thought it was a good theory.
828x MacOS 13.6.5 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

cuttime wrote:I'm beginning to wonder if the reproducibility of so called "bugs" may have something to do with use or non use of Consolidated Windows. I notice much more automation stability if the if the Sequence Editor is popped out. Also, has anyone noticed that the "Enable Consolidated Windows" tick box is now missing from the Preferences Options, as is NOT depicted on p.100 of the DP9 pdf manual?

EDIT, well, I'm again experiencing the Automation point crash again with the SE popped out. I thought it was a good theory.
Maybe. I've started trying the bugs with CW and without. So far, it makes no difference for me at least. But it does for some -- see thread on MIDI edit bug.
musicman691

Post by musicman691 »

cuttime wrote:I'm beginning to wonder if the reproducibility of so called "bugs" may have something to do with use or non use of Consolidated Windows. I notice much more automation stability if the if the Sequence Editor is popped out. Also, has anyone noticed that the "Enable Consolidated Windows" tick box is now missing from the Preferences Options, as is NOT depicted on p.100 of the DP9 pdf manual?

The tick box for 'enable consolidated windows' was missing in DP 8.07 yet was shown in the printed manual and I think in the pdf manual as well.
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

The main issue I have run into (and it's a HUGE one that may require me to go back to DP8), is that sound bytes don't show up right away in the Sequence View, or show up incomplete.

Worse still, if I'm doing audio edits, whether by selecting audio or grabbing the edge of a sound byte to drag it, there is a large section adjacent the edge of the selection (or the edge of the sound byte) that blanks out the audio, so I can't see what I'm doing. Especially annoying when trying for a smooth cross-fade.

I am assuming for now that this is user error vs. a bug, and that it may relate to automation lanes and learning how to turn those off (even when no automation is present).

I got thrown enough by the weird look of sound bytes in the Tracks Overview, which means I can no longer use that view for a quick judgment of where I need to make edits in a song (it is quicker to scroll and follow Tracks Overview to find a particular section than to do so in Sequence View).

Again, these are probably either already reported by others as known issues, or simply are new default behavior that I can shut off once I find time to study the new features and any new preferences that came along for the ride.

Other than that, all is good, and I haven't had a single crash yet (unlike DP8, which crashed less than previous versions but did occasionally eject itself prematurely). Huge projects come up in seconds instead of upwards of ten minutes. That is making my clients (and me) very happy.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.1, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
Timeline

Post by Timeline »

If thats a bug MH I will wait a while on purchase until its clear up. I can't have that.
2009 Intel 12 core 3.46, 64GB, OSX.10.14.6, Mojave, DP11, MTPAV, Key-station 49,(2) RME FF800,
DA-3000 DSF-5.6mhz, Mackie Control. Hofa DDP Pro, FB@ http://www.facebook.com/garybrandt2
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Coincidence? This started happening here yesterday. Viewing waveforms in the SE has been fine up to now. Same thing: can't see the waveforms, or only small bits of it. Playback, scrubbing, etc is fine. When switching to spectrogram view, it's fine. Going to spectrogram and wave, spectrogram is fine, but the wave is incomplete again. What is very odd, when the view is set to show both wave a spectrogram, and the soundbite is selected, I get three lanes of spectrogram and one blank lane of waveform (for a stereo soundbite) instead of two of each.

This persists through a save and reload, and a system restart. I haven't updated anything on this mac. It's very strange that it would just start happening like this.
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

Is viewing soundbites related to using rectified waveforms?
828x MacOS 13.6.5 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

cuttime wrote:Is viewing soundbites related to using rectified waveforms?
Strange. I don't have rectified waves turned on. And the waves show properly in the TO Window. But in the SE, the bits of wave that do appear, are rectified!