DP 9 impressions and issues thread

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
James Steele
Site Administrator
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: DP 9 impressions and issues thread

Post by James Steele »

jacey714 wrote:I noticed today that any 32bit plugin that was converted to 64bit using 32Lives will crash DP9 as soon as you click on the plugin window. I tested it on my iMac as well as my MBP...which are completely independent...and they both displayed similar results...I ran the same plugins in DP8 at 64bit mode and they worked perfectly as they always did.

Bottom line...You can't run any converted 32bit plugins on the DP9 in 64bit mode~
Answering this here as well as your topic you created:

FALSE. I just ran the following plugs using 32 Lives in DP9 in 64 bit and can click on their GUI with no ill effects:

Focusrite LiquidMix
RND Inspector XL
Audioease Altiverb 6
Submersible DrumCore 3 (DP's plug in window must not be in floating mode or a crash can happen when loading kits)
IK Miroslav Philarmonik CE
IK SampleTank 2
IK SonicSynth 2
Native Instruments B4 II
USB Plugsound Pro
UltraAnalog 1
Cakewalk Dimension LE
PSP Nitro

All of the above ran in 32 Lives in DP 9.0 64-bit. It appears I can run all of the ones I ran before. Perhaps you have your effects windows set to float which is a new feature in DP9? Try turning that off. I do have a problem with DrumCore 3 when the window is set to float, so maybe that's causing you problems.
Last edited by James Steele on Mon Jul 13, 2015 3:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Updated B4 to B4 II
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
musicman691

Post by musicman691 »

James Steele wrote: Answering this here as well as your topic you created:

FALSE. I just ran the following plugs using 32 Lives in DP9 in 64 bit and can click on their GUI with no ill effects:

Focusrite LiquidMix
RND Inspector XL
Audioease Altiverb 6
Submersible DrumCore 3 (DP's plug in window must not be in floating mode or a crash can happen when loading kits)
IK Miroslav Philarmonik CE
IK SampleTank 2
IK SonicSynth 2
Native Instruments B4 II
USB Plugsound Pro
UltraAnalog 1
Cakewalk Dimension LE
PSP Nitro

All of the above ran in 32 Lives in DP 9.0 64-bit. It appears I can run all of the ones I ran before. Perhaps you have your effects windows set to float which is a new feature in DP9? Try turning that off. I do have a problem with DrumCore 3 when the window is set to float, so maybe that's causing you problems.
James:
Not to go sideways with this thread but seeing you have NI B4 running with 32 Lives I have to ask - is that B4II? If so does it work good enough for production? Getting back B4II would be worth the cost of 32 Lives all by itself.
Last edited by James Steele on Mon Jul 13, 2015 3:57 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Updated "B4" to "B4 II"
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

musicman691 wrote:James:
Not to go sideways with this thread but seeing you have NI B4 running with 32 Lives I have to ask - is that B4II? If so does it work good enough for production? Getting back B4II would be worth the cost of 32 Lives all by itself.
Yes. Should have specified that but I was in a hurry to make the list. B4II. I've edited it in both posts for clarification.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
musicman691

Post by musicman691 »

James Steele wrote:
musicman691 wrote:James:
Yes. Should have specified that but I was in a hurry to make the list. B4II. I've edited it in both posts for clarification.
Thanks for the clarification. You've made me a very happy person with this news.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Phil O has mentioned in a couple of threads that he found a font conflict that was causing problems for 32 bit plugins. I recall a few OS X versions back, having a lot of problems caused by font conflicts that were easily resolved once identified using FontBook.

Maybe some other DP 9 issues are also a result of font conflicts. It would be one reason the bugs are so different from one user to another.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
csiaudio
Location: Indiana; Where the corn is tall and the women are wide!

Post by csiaudio »

Rick Cornish wrote:
waterstrum wrote:Feels like it should be DP 8.6...
Some new features, a few bug fixes and some new problems.
Not a major upgrade.
I concur. The way Logic users are raving about their latest (.x) upgrade, you think MOTU would've taken notice. Maybe they needed to raise cash. When I pay for a major (X.0) version upgrade, I expect (or at least "hope") to be blown away. With DP9 we got a few features (lanes) that were catch-up moves (in that case, to Logic), a few new plugs—most of which I won't use (echoing the previous post—no more guitar pedals please)—and a synth that MOTU hadn't previously cared enough about to update to 64-bit (which I won't use much, either). I'm a faithful MOTU customer (since early Performer) and love DP, but with v9, I'm officially underwhelmed.

Dead on man!
Capturing the Colors of Sound!

Mac Mini M1 2020 -- DP 11.2 -- Universal Audio Apollo Quad -- Apollo Twin -- SPL Kultube Compressor -- Slate Virtual Mic -- Eve SC207's w/KRK Sub
csiaudio
Location: Indiana; Where the corn is tall and the women are wide!

Post by csiaudio »

bayswater wrote:
csiaudio wrote:I am completely unimpressed and SO glad that I didn't send MOTU $200 for this "update". It's sick that MOTU tossed this version out there with such poor beta testing which is obvious by the enormous amount of bugs. :banghead: This is 8.5 all day long and definitely not a 9.0 update. I'm so disappointed and sticking with 8 until they come out with something worth while.
So you'd be happier if they called it 8.5? :rofl:
Yep pretty much...because a release like this for $200 that does make me ROFL :rofl:
Capturing the Colors of Sound!

Mac Mini M1 2020 -- DP 11.2 -- Universal Audio Apollo Quad -- Apollo Twin -- SPL Kultube Compressor -- Slate Virtual Mic -- Eve SC207's w/KRK Sub
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

bayswater wrote:Phil O has mentioned in a couple of threads that he found a font conflict that was causing problems for 32 bit plugins. I recall a few OS X versions back, having a lot of problems caused by font conflicts that were easily resolved once identified using FontBook.

Maybe some other DP 9 issues are also a result of font conflicts. It would be one reason the bugs are so different from one user to another.
Thanks for that reminder!

Now that resolving conflicts in Font Book is so easy (since ML), this should be done once a year by most users. Finale 2011 on will not run if there are any conflicts; Office will run but takes forever to load when this happens.

For those who have never done this or need a refresher:

Start up Font Book.app Edit/Look for Enabled Duplicates

Resolve any that you find.

Using Shift-Click, you can select all fonts and run File/Validate Fonts

Anything in green is safe.

Those in yellow often are not complete such as an all caps font – the OS considers these to have a minor problem (such as no lower case or certain characters missing) but they do not impact your system.

Anything in red might cause problems and should be removed. On my system, Frets, installed with Encore, shows red. Removing and reinstalling gives the same caution. Since it was signed in 1992, I imagine that is the real issue and, not causing any problems, I chose to leave it installed.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Basstrup

Hidden files showing in clippings window

Post by Basstrup »

1. Make new clippings window
2. Select something in DP and make a new clipping
3. Choose Show Clippings Folder
4. Delete the clippings file
5. Click in clippings window... now .DS_Store file is shown in clippings window

Mac OS X 10.9.5 / DP9

reported to MOTU

Idea. would be nice to be able to delete clippings in the clippings instead of having to show folder and deleted from folder? No?
Analog is great... We got both WOW and Flutter - what's your bias?
MOTU: DP9 - 2 x MachV - 2 x MX4 - 2 x 1296 - 2 x 896HD - 1 x UltraLite AVB - 1 x MOTU Monitor 8 - 1 x 24i - 3 x MTP AV | UA Apollo Quad | UA Arrow | SSL 2+ || Digi 002Rack | Mackie control + expanders | UAD-2 PCIe card | 2 x Mac Pro | Mac Mini Late 2018 | OS X 10.14.6
toodamnhip

Post by toodamnhip »

mikehalloran wrote:
bayswater wrote:Phil O has mentioned in a couple of threads that he found a font conflict that was causing problems for 32 bit plugins. I recall a few OS X versions back, having a lot of problems caused by font conflicts that were easily resolved once identified using FontBook.

Thanks for that reminder!

Now that resolving conflicts in Font Book is so easy (since ML), this should be done once a year by most users. Finale 2011 on will not run if there are any conflicts; Office will run but takes forever to load when this happens.

For those who have never done this or need a refresher:

Start up Font Book.app Edit/Look for Enabled Duplicates

Those in yellow often are not complete such as an all caps font – the OS considers these to have a minor problem (such as no lower case or certain characters missing) but they do not impact your system.

Anything in red might cause problems and should be removed. On my system, Frets, installed with Encore, shows red. Removing and reinstalling gives the same caution. Since it was signed in 1992, I imagine that is the real issue and, not causing any problems, I chose to leave it installed.
Thanks for the info...this is an area few of us consider for system issues. A bit esoteric...until it HITS YOU...lol..I ran this and found 10 yellows and left them and resolved dups...thanks again for the data, any new thing to learn about grooming one’s system, is always welcome.
Mac Pro (Late 2013
2.7 GHz 12-Core Intel Xeon E5
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
MOTU 8pre, MTP AV, 828 mkII
Tons of VIS and plug ins. SSD hard drives etc
toodamnhip

Re: Hidden files showing in clippings window

Post by toodamnhip »

Basstrup wrote:1. Make new clippings window
2. Select something in DP and make a new clipping
3. Choose Show Clippings Folder
4. Delete the clippings file
5. Click in clippings window... now .DS_Store file is shown in clippings window

Mac OS X 10.9.5 / DP9

reported to MOTU

Idea. would be nice to be able to delete clippings in the clippings instead of having to show folder and deleted from folder? No?
I would add that MOTU should make clippings window SCROLLABLE. I have one HUGE clippings window I have used since time immemorial. And it is so long that I can’t read the bottom and there is no scroll. Stupid but I guess MOTU never considered the damn window could be filled from top to bottom.....(by the way, “filled” depends on one;s screen size so this problem will effect lap top users even earlier than it did me.)
Mac Pro (Late 2013
2.7 GHz 12-Core Intel Xeon E5
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
MOTU 8pre, MTP AV, 828 mkII
Tons of VIS and plug ins. SSD hard drives etc
musicman691

Post by musicman691 »

toodamnhip wrote: I would add that MOTU should make clippings window SCROLLABLE. I have one HUGE clippings window I have used since time immemorial. And it is so long that I can’t read the bottom and there is no scroll. Stupid but I guess MOTU never considered the damn window could be filled from top to bottom.....(by the way, “filled” depends on one;s screen size so this problem will effect lap top users even earlier than it did me.)
Ouch - my window isn't that filled (yet) but to not have scroll? Not a good thing. And really - who wants to have multiple clippings windows?
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

musicman691 wrote:who wants to have multiple clippings windows?
Me. I thought that was a good thing.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

mikehalloran wrote:[Start up Font Book.app Edit/Look for Enabled Duplicates

Fontbook shows 11 "yellow" fonts on one of my Macs. All of them are musical symbols. Perhaps these have missing or lower case characters.
Robert Randolph

Post by Robert Randolph »

musicman691 wrote:
toodamnhip wrote: I would add that MOTU should make clippings window SCROLLABLE. I have one HUGE clippings window I have used since time immemorial. And it is so long that I can’t read the bottom and there is no scroll. Stupid but I guess MOTU never considered the damn window could be filled from top to bottom.....(by the way, “filled” depends on one;s screen size so this problem will effect lap top users even earlier than it did me.)
Ouch - my window isn't that filled (yet) but to not have scroll? Not a good thing. And really - who wants to have multiple clippings windows?
I want to keep multiple clippings windows. I love them.