DP 9 impressions and issues thread

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
toodamnhip
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

DP 9 impressions and issues thread

Post by toodamnhip »

Here are my initial impressions and some small bugs I have found, later posts in this same thread are a chronological tour of additional bugs, and some improvements I have found too.
DP 9 initial impressions:

***Bit strange when you 1st open up an old DP8 file and all your plug in windows come to the front. Nice new feature but expect this and the need to close them all. And by the way, do not try command W anymore to close a plug in window. It will now only close the session file.

***DP 9 started background processing alot, finding beats etc. Since DP 8 had already done this, I wonder why 9 is doing it? Something different about the way 9 analyses audio?

***Not positive but it seems like the mix I was working on yesterday in DP8, uses more CPU juice in DP 9. More of a processor hog?
Actually, I am sure of this because when I went to 1024 buffer, the processor bar showed 50%. I haven;t seen 50% usage in ages since I upped my processor to a 12 core. Curious to know if other users experience increased CPU use. And, as is a long time source of confusion for me, the computer cores are all running low while DP claims to be out of memory or at 50%. This makes no sense.

**Had some sort of wierd bug where I was trying to MIDI learn a freq boost on a waves plug in and lost all audio. Re-setting audio buffers fixed the play back issue, but it seems something went wrong trying to MIDI learn waves plug ins. Let’s see if it happens often or is a one time occurrence.

** After re starting the audio engine, I successfully MIDI learned a waves plug in. However, the same external controller automation write BUG exists that existed for exists for Avid artist mix That is this: After you record automation moves in a 3rd party plug in, those move will NOT play back properly in DP until you manually grab and MOVE that particular parameter in the plug in window itself. After you do that, DP will faithfully play back any automation moved created via MIDI-learn. But BEFORE you manually grab a parameter after a write pass, the automation will just sit there and not read right. It’s some sort of strange bug where DP needs to be reminded and given BACK control of the plug by manipulating parameters in the plug in window itself, REMINDING DP to control that plug in again. Wierd but this is the same as what happens with AVID artist mist parameter manipluation. It is still nice to be able to use my key station 88 controller with any given plug in. I have reported this bug to DP in the past with Artist mix and not gotten a fix. I am glad DP made this MIDI learn feature though, it should come in handy.

** DP 9 still crashed on quite when using Scuffham Amp plug ins.

**Snap Shot Automation still broken with Waves plugs. 1) It will always later the setting if loading a waves pre set. 2) The only way to get it to work is to manually manipulate all parameters or munerically enter the values BEFORE snap shot, after which it will work. This is a long term but since mid DP8 and really needss fixing.

*** Asking for spectrogram the 1st time on a lead vocal with lots of slices, totally choked a 12 core that supposedly had 50% power left.
The various view styles in spectragram are awesome.

***Manipulating a bite volume lane caused a big CPU stop in my session. Must be an analyse issue with old files.

*** I am at a loss as to why I cannot swipe across the volumes moves in an automation lane and have it highlite so I can erase or edit. I can however manully click an edit point in an automation lane, and can draw IN data. I see that if I highlite in the main track it also highlites automation lane data. But when juxtaposed up against the automation lane waveforms, it should be that I can DIRECTLY grab data in the automation lane and not have to reach above in the main window. I also can;t directly highlight over a range or note of pitch data. Makes no sense to me.

*** Strange how copies of the audio waveforms only show up in vol and pan lanes etc, but not in sends or various other controllers.

***Very cool that I can switch between controllers by hitting the #s 1-7 keys.

Other than all of that, thanks again for the MIDI mute and learn and I look forward to playing with the new plugs.
Stay tuned
Last edited by toodamnhip on Tue Jun 30, 2015 12:37 am, edited 3 times in total.
Mac Pro (Late 2013
2.7 GHz 12-Core Intel Xeon E5
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
MOTU 8pre, MTP AV, 828 mkII
Tons of VIS and plug ins. SSD hard drives etc
dix

Re: DP 9 impressions and issues thread

Post by dix »

MIDI Learn behaves different than I expected and the manual isn't too clear. It apparently learns MIDI from the controller globally. In other words the controller will change the learned parameters whether there's a MIDI track record enabled or not. Once a CC is assigned to a plugin parameter that CC is no longer available on any MIDI channel for anything else in the session. I guess I expected the plugin to be published in the available MIDI destinations like an instrument would, but I suppose this is better.

Btw, the manual doesn't mention it, but the way you Unlearn is to repeat the Learn operation.
14-inch MBP M1 Max (2021), 13.6.x, 64GB RAM, UAD Quad Tb Satellite, 4 displays ::: 2009 4,1 > 5,1 MacPro 12-core 3.33 ghz , 10.14.x, 96GB RAM, GeForce GTX 770 , NewerTech eSATA/USB3 PCIe Host Adapter, UAD-2 Quad, ::: 15-inch MBP (2015) 10.14.x, 16GB RAM ::: Lynx Aurora (n) USB ::: DP (latest version), Vienna Ensemble Pro danwool.com
toodamnhip

Post by toodamnhip »

dix wrote:MIDI Learn behaves different than I expected and the manual isn't too clear. It apparently learns MIDI from the controller globally. In other words the controller will change the learned parameters whether there's a MIDI track record enabled or not. Once a CC is assigned to a plugin parameter that CC is no longer available on any MIDI channel for anything else in the session. I guess I expected the plugin to be published in the available MIDI destinations like an instrument would, but I suppose this is better.

Btw, the manual doesn't mention it, but the way you Unlearn is to repeat the Learn operation.
There is a window that comes up with the “learned data”. You can highlight any learned event in the list and hit “delete” too.
I’ve started a new thread with impressions and issues...Hope some of you check it out.
http://www.motunation.com/forum/viewtop ... 82#p508582
Last edited by toodamnhip on Wed Jun 24, 2015 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mac Pro (Late 2013
2.7 GHz 12-Core Intel Xeon E5
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
MOTU 8pre, MTP AV, 828 mkII
Tons of VIS and plug ins. SSD hard drives etc
dix

Post by dix »

Oh hey, there is! It was opening real tiny in the CS and I didn't see it. There's a lot of other stuff in that window too. That's quite helpful Thx!
14-inch MBP M1 Max (2021), 13.6.x, 64GB RAM, UAD Quad Tb Satellite, 4 displays ::: 2009 4,1 > 5,1 MacPro 12-core 3.33 ghz , 10.14.x, 96GB RAM, GeForce GTX 770 , NewerTech eSATA/USB3 PCIe Host Adapter, UAD-2 Quad, ::: 15-inch MBP (2015) 10.14.x, 16GB RAM ::: Lynx Aurora (n) USB ::: DP (latest version), Vienna Ensemble Pro danwool.com
waterstrum
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by waterstrum »

I like the new features, but I'm finding that DP8 projects are red lining in the processor window.
A fairly heavy session that was at 50% in DP8 is spiking in DP9.
Lots of plugs and VIs.....
Is there a way to optimize old sessions to run the same in DP9?

Running OS 10.9.5 on 12 core mac pro.
All is well
Tesionman

Post by Tesionman »

I think I found a bug/glitch in DP9.
When Rewired to Reason, from the moment I record something from Reason, the volume automatically doubles and even clips without even changing any volume.
I tested this in DP8 and this doesn't happen so must be a DP9 bug.
If anybody uses Reason, please test this in DP9 and confirm.
Thanks.
Get Real Live Drum Tracks @ http://www.hugoribeiro.com

Macbook Pro | DP 10.13 | Motu 8Pre (x2) | Apogee Duet 2
Sonor Drums | Sabian Cymbals | Remo Drumheads | Vater Drumsticks
jlaudon

Post by jlaudon »

It's been great except for I can't seem to change MIDI channels (say I want to assign Machfive-1 MIDI channel to Machfive-2), as the pull down menu doesn't pull down - no response on MIDI track outputs when I click on them, but audio and axes are fine... I then updated to OS X 10.10.3, and that seemed to have taken care of the problem, but tonite as I went into a couple projects, the same non-response on MIDI channels has surfaced again....weird...

I suppose I'll try re-installing DP9 (DP8 works fine) and see what happens.
MacBook Pro 2021 (M1 Ultra) with 64 gigs RAM. DP 11.23
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

toodamnhip wrote:
***Bit strange when you 1st open up an old DP8 file and all your plug in windows come to the front. Nice new feature but expect this and the need to close them all. And by the way, do not try command W anymore to close a plug in window. It will now only close the session file.

...Stay tuned
If this window closing behavior was a deliberate decision, I'd consider it to be a pretty big mistake. COMMAND-W to close a single window is second-nature. And DP's special SHIFT-COMMAND-W to close a session was a nice additional feature. This change (if made permanent) will mean that I will be hitting CANCEL about 100 times per session until I re-program myself.

TDH, thank you so much for these impressions. They are super-helpful, thorough, and clearly written.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

Yeah, thank you a tonne, Hipster. Much appreciated.

Johnny, hope you've been good, mate, and that all's well in HK. 'Bless.

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
dix

Post by dix »

For a minute I thought we lost the Toggle Show Active Layer command, but it's been changed to "Show only the active edit type". Anyone notice any other key command changes? As has been pointed out Undo/Redo has a new Mac-like default. Any others?
csavetman

Post by csavetman »

I asked this on a different thread, thought I'd ask here to get info.
Can anyone with the 9.0 update post whether or not the behavior of grouped audio faders has changed? Specifically, I'm referring to grouped faders losing their relative offsets as gain is increased beyond their initial levels when group was created.

Thanks!
Carlos
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

csavetman wrote:I asked this on a different thread, thought I'd ask here to get info.
Can anyone with the 9.0 update post whether or not the behavior of grouped audio faders has changed? Specifically, I'm referring to grouped faders losing their relative offsets as gain is increased beyond their initial levels when group was created.

Thanks!
Carlos
Just checked. Of course they will max out at the extreme ends, up or down, but the relative settings are, in fact, preserved when moving to a position where that is within range again. :woohoo:
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
David Polich

Post by David Polich »

I just now opened a rather CPU-intensive DP8 project in DP9.

Processor usage at all buffer settings (256,512,1024) seems about the same as in DP8. No stuttering or dropped audio or jerking wiper. I still see processor spikes when starting playback for the very first time, just as I did in DP8 (on this particular project, which uses 12 instances of Amplitube 3 in "Hi" mode).

My plug-in windows did NOT all come to the front upon opening this project. I still have to go to the mixer window and double-click on an inserted plug-in to open its GUI.

Yes, Scuffham Amps plug-ins still cause a Crash-On-Quit. I've given up on this issue, I don't think it will ever be fixed. It isn't major anyway.

I am using one of the newer DP9 "themes". Oddly enough, after quitting DP9 and launching DP8,
DP8 comes up with the DP9 theme I chose. So apparently DP8 "inherits" at least some of DP9's prefs.

Still have to do the torture test - open up a hi-track count project, set the buffer to 256, launch Kontakt 5 and instantiate one of the more CPU-hungry libraries like Electri6ity. Will report back next week on that experiment.
2019 Mac Pro 8-core, 32GB RAM, Mac OS Ventura, MIDI Express 128, Apogee Duet 3, DP 11.2x, Waves, Slate , Izotope, UAD, Amplitube 5, Tonex, Spectrasonics, Native Instruments, Pianoteq, Soniccouture, Arturia, Amplesound, Acustica, Reason Objekt, Plasmonic, Vital, Cherry Audio, Toontrack, BFD, Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha Montage M6, Korg Kronos X61, Alesis Ion,Sequential Prophet 6, Sequential OB-6, Hammond XK5, Yamaha Disklavier MK 3 piano.
http://www.davepolich.com
csavetman

Post by csavetman »

Thanks for checking that MLC! That is good news!

Carlos
woodyreed
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by woodyreed »

OK, please tell me how to go back to the old command Z function. Really not digging that change at all. I liked it toggling undo and redo. Now I have to use 2 hands for toggling. I much prefer it the other way.

Also, hated the plugin window always floating. What a pain. That was easy however to uncheck the new function.

I like MX4.

I get big cpu spikes when enabling and disabling UAD plugins on the fly.

There are some MIDI oddities. While working in Ethno instruments mixer section, all the moves (pan, volume) went back to default as soon as I hit play. I have to make the moves in the channel strip. Only seems to do it with ethno. Other moves on the fader with other instruments doesn't seem to work unless I record enable the track, It's actually kind of hit or mis with that. Odd.

MIDI mute is nice

The 1176 emulation is also really nice. can't say it nails the 1176, but it's a nice grabby compressor

No crashes though (knock on wood!) It's been very smooth to work with, with the exception of command Z. :?