DP 9 impressions and issues thread

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
woodyreed
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Re: DP 9 impressions and issues thread

Post by woodyreed »

toodamnhip wrote:
Waves does it. Yes, they are hated at times for it, but they also have the best plugs in the world...and tons of them too.
That's highly debatable, but I get your point. 15 years ago I would have agreed. Not today. I rarely use anything from WAVES. L2 being the exception.

I really think there is a lot more going on under the hood in 9. It feels much more solid. MX4 is pretty cool as is the 1176. But I don't think either are up to the standards of other plugs and synths I have. I'll gladly pay $199 though to keep them in the game. 9 is for sure an upgrade.
bayswater
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by bayswater »

toodamnhip wrote:
Killahurts wrote:I'm kind of disappointed in the Themes in DP9. I was hoping we would have several more new ones, or maybe even a simple user interface to easily tweak them.

Instead we got a total of one new theme, "Nine", which is dark and rather utilitarian for my taste.. took me 5 seconds to realize I still like "Eight" better. :wink:
It would be interesting to take a poll and see how many members are disappointed with 9.
MOTU was pretty transparent with this update. They presented all the major changes to be included in DP 9. They demoed them in a dog and pony at NAMM, and published the videos. That presentation was largely about guitar and bass stuff -- a pretty good clue about what to expect.

There were questions about what else was included and the answer was pretty clear -- all the stuff you'd put on the box was announced or demoed -- the rest is misc bug fixes and minor workflow changes. There were a few unsubstantiated rumours about additions never mentioned by MOTU (e.g. including Mach Five).

They could have been a little more up front about dropping the printed manual, but I'm already over that. There are bugs, but what .00 release doesn't have a load of bugs? Compared to Logic 10.0.0, it's pretty much big free.

If anyone thinks this update is not worth $200, they could have figured that out before they bought it. Looking at posts over that week or two, a lot of people said just that, and didn't update.

I'm happy with it, but
1) I'd like to hear more from Windows users -- has MOTU addressed the issues left over from 8? Is it ready for prime time?
2) Guitar and bass stuff is good, but enough is enough. Maybe move on to drums and percussion. Logic has left DP in the dust on drums.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
musicman691

Post by musicman691 »

I got back into DP-land based on the announcement of DP9 at NAMM 2015. MX4 for me is a good add-on (especially once they get it fixed to retain MIDI control learn). Yes I am a bit of a synth guy, but also symphonic instruments AND guitar. I like to cross-polinate plugins with uses one wouldn't normally use them for. For instance taking solo violin and running it through guitar plugins for that Jon Luc Ponty sound - that's huge for me. So the new 'guitar' plugins are worth it for me. I don't find acoustic sounds so precious that they can't take some treatment from non-traditional acoustic effects. Remember that Jon Lord did NOT use a Leslie on his Hammond organ - it was a guitar combo amp.
musicman691

Post by musicman691 »

bayswater wrote:

I'm happy with it, but

2) Guitar and bass stuff is good, but enough is enough. Maybe move on to drums and percussion. Logic has left DP in the dust on drums.
Personally other than for making beatz daw drum stuff sucks. I'd rather use something like fxpansion BFD3 or Slate drums or Superior Drums for my drum work.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

musicman691 wrote:
bayswater wrote:

I'm happy with it, but

Personally other than for making beatz daw drum stuff sucks. I'd rather use something like fxpansion BFD3 or Slate drums or Superior Drums for my drum work.
I'm not talking about the drum sounds in Logic; rather the editing functions for MIDI Drum tracks, compared to the DP drum editor.
musicman691

Post by musicman691 »

bayswater wrote: I'm not talking about the drum sounds in Logic; rather the editing functions for MIDI Drum tracks, compared to the DP drum editor.
Okay - that's clearer. Thought you were talking about the drum sounds themselves. After years of dealing with ProTools and NO drum editor I'm glad to have what's in DP. What's so great about the way Logic does it versus DP?
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

musicman691 wrote:
bayswater wrote: I'm not talking about the drum sounds in Logic; rather the editing functions for MIDI Drum tracks, compared to the DP drum editor.
Okay - that's clearer. Thought you were talking about the drum sounds themselves. After years of dealing with ProTools and NO drum editor I'm glad to have what's in DP. What's so great about the way Logic does it versus DP?
Simple stuff. You can have the MIDI editor only show pitches with notes, there are means of getting drum names in that are less convoluted than the DP drum editor, and there is the successor to the old hyper editor. And drum tracks have some useful macros to set up tracks you can then export as MIDI and use with other sounds.
Killahurts

Post by Killahurts »

I did not write that, for the record. :wink:
DP11, 2019 16-Core Mac Pro, Monterey, 64GB RAM. RME HDSPe MADI FX to SSL Alphalink to SSL Matrix console, and multiple digital sub consoles. UAD Quad PCIe. Outboard stuff.
toodamnhip

VE PRO-DP Crash on Quit Issue and Solution

Post by toodamnhip »

I have found that quitting DP 9 BEFORE quitting VE Pro solves the crash on quit issue. It used to be that it was better to quit VE Pro first, and then DP. Now, it is the opposite.
Of course, Scuffham amps still ALWYS causes a crash on quit. If you are having crash on quit issues with VE Pro, try quoting DP 9 1st.
Last edited by toodamnhip on Wed Jul 01, 2015 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mac Pro (Late 2013
2.7 GHz 12-Core Intel Xeon E5
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
MOTU 8pre, MTP AV, 828 mkII
Tons of VIS and plug ins. SSD hard drives etc
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Killahurts wrote:I did not write that, for the record. :wink:
No you didn't. :) So I fixed it in the original post and edited out the bogus quote from your post.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
Killahurts

Post by Killahurts »

Thanks James! :headbang:
DP11, 2019 16-Core Mac Pro, Monterey, 64GB RAM. RME HDSPe MADI FX to SSL Alphalink to SSL Matrix console, and multiple digital sub consoles. UAD Quad PCIe. Outboard stuff.
elcappn

Re: VE PRO-DP Crash on Quit Issue and Solution

Post by elcappn »

toodamnhip wrote:I have found that quitting DP 9 BEFORE quitting VE Pro solves the crash on quit issue. It used to be that it was better to quit VE Pro first, and then DP. Now, it is the opposite.
Of course, Scuffham amps still ALWYS causes a crash on quit. If you are having crash on quit issues with VE Pro, try quoting DP 9 1st.
The latest update to Scuffham fixed the crash on quit issue.
Chris

2013 Mac Pro 3.5 6-Core 64GB of RAM, 27" Dell Display x 3, macOS 10.15.7, MOTU 1248, MTP AV, Yamaha S90-es, Dave Smith Prophet 12, OB-6 & Arturia Matrix Brute, DP 10.11, Dorico Pro 2, VEP7, All Oxford plugs, PSP, Pro-Q 3, Kontakt, SoundToys, Softube, Exponential Audio Phoenix Verb, R2, Nimbus & R4, LASS+LS, WIVI Brass+Winds, VSL Harps, Falcon, CineSamples, Spitfire, Output, Heavyocity, Scuffham.
toodamnhip

Post by toodamnhip »

elcappn wrote:
toodamnhip wrote:I have found that quitting DP 9 BEFORE quitting VE Pro solves the crash on quit issue. It used to be that it was better to quit VE Pro first, and then DP. Now, it is the opposite.
Not for me it didn’t. AndI have seen several others say the issue still exists.
Mac Pro (Late 2013
2.7 GHz 12-Core Intel Xeon E5
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
MOTU 8pre, MTP AV, 828 mkII
Tons of VIS and plug ins. SSD hard drives etc
elcappn

Post by elcappn »

toodamnhip wrote:
elcappn wrote:
I'm using the ilok version, which seems to be their only solution to the crash on quit problem for the time being.
Chris

2013 Mac Pro 3.5 6-Core 64GB of RAM, 27" Dell Display x 3, macOS 10.15.7, MOTU 1248, MTP AV, Yamaha S90-es, Dave Smith Prophet 12, OB-6 & Arturia Matrix Brute, DP 10.11, Dorico Pro 2, VEP7, All Oxford plugs, PSP, Pro-Q 3, Kontakt, SoundToys, Softube, Exponential Audio Phoenix Verb, R2, Nimbus & R4, LASS+LS, WIVI Brass+Winds, VSL Harps, Falcon, CineSamples, Spitfire, Output, Heavyocity, Scuffham.
elcappn

Post by elcappn »

toodamnhip wrote:
elcappn wrote:
I'm using the ilok version, which seems to be their only solution to the crash on quit problem for the time being.
Chris