DP 9 impressions and issues thread

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
bayswater
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: DP 9 impressions and issues thread

Post by bayswater »

Gravity Jim wrote:Tabbed subwindows in the CW! Alright now!
What's that? I missed it.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
musicman691

Post by musicman691 »

bayswater wrote:
Gravity Jim wrote:Tabbed subwindows in the CW! Alright now!
What's that? I missed it.
You and me both.
Gravity Jim

Post by Gravity Jim »

Check it... in your sidebar type windows (Event List, Soundbites, etc.) there is a new choice in the pull down menu you get by clicking nd holding the title bar... "New Tab." It creates a new, tabbed window UNDER the window you selected. Way cool for stacking a lot of well-organized windows in a small space.

I think it's new.... maybe DP8 did this and I never caught it!
Jim Bordner

MacPro 5,1 (3.33Ghz 12-core), 32g RAM, OS X 10.14.6 • MOTU DP 10.11 • Logic Pro X 10.2.5 • Waves Platinum, UAD-2, Slate Digital, Komplete, Omnisphere 2, LASS, CineSamples, Chipsounds, V Collection 5[color]
musicman691

Post by musicman691 »

Gravity Jim wrote:Check it... in your sidebar type windows (Event List, Soundbites, etc.) there is a new choice in the pull down menu you get by clicking nd holding the title bar... "New Tab." It creates a new, tabbed window UNDER the window you selected. Way cool for stacking a lot of well-organized windows in a small space.

I think it's new.... maybe DP8 did this and I never caught it!
That's in DP 8.07
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Right. In DP 8. I make use of these in my startup template so just about everything is there and visible. I've modified the theme so the tab selected in each pane is highlighted.
Gravity Jim

Post by Gravity Jim »

Well, I missed that, so it's new to me! Very nice.

My template is a blank slate. I work to client request, so I could never use a list of track and instruments more than once.
Jim Bordner

MacPro 5,1 (3.33Ghz 12-core), 32g RAM, OS X 10.14.6 • MOTU DP 10.11 • Logic Pro X 10.2.5 • Waves Platinum, UAD-2, Slate Digital, Komplete, Omnisphere 2, LASS, CineSamples, Chipsounds, V Collection 5[color]
daniel.sneed

Post by daniel.sneed »

Hurray!

My very long time suggestion is effective in DP9: buffer setting in transport panel!
Hey, Motu guys, you do rock!

BTW, my X-32 soundcard allows 4096 buffer. 4096 shows up in DP driver dialog window, but only up to 2048 in transport panel menu. Go figure...
dAn Shakin' all over! :unicorn:
DP11.31, OS12.7.4, MacBookPro-i7-3.1Ghz-16GoRam-1ToSSD
Falcon, Kontakt, Ozone, RX, Unisum & Michelangelo, LX480
Waldorf Iridium & STVC & Blofeld, Kemper Profiler Stage, EWIusb, Studiologic VMK, ControlPad
JBL4326+4312sub, Behringer X32rack
Many mics, mandolins, banjos, guitars, flutes, melodions, xylos, kalimbas...
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

Host-buffer multiplier setting?

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Gravity Jim wrote:Still don't feel a need for Mute MIDI Notes, but I may find one now that it's here.
Most useful thing about it for me is that I don't have to hear about it on this board anymore. People can move on to a different feature they feel is lacking. :)
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
toodamnhip

Post by toodamnhip »

James Steele wrote:
Gravity Jim wrote:Still don't feel a need for Mute MIDI Notes, but I may find one now that it's here.
Most useful thing about it for me is that I don't have to hear about it on this board anymore. People can move on to a different feature they feel is lacking. :)
Yes, it does indeed get old harping on about ANY given issue. No one is happy. I really do hope MOTU compiles a stat-based collection of issues and addresses them all....soon.
That way we can all move on to DP’s real future........Kareokee-style, push-one-button and the music is done....mindless, pre made beats sent to one’s iPhone...... :dance:
Mac Pro (Late 2013
2.7 GHz 12-Core Intel Xeon E5
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
MOTU 8pre, MTP AV, 828 mkII
Tons of VIS and plug ins. SSD hard drives etc
daniel.sneed

Post by daniel.sneed »

Don't if this has already been covered here, but rectified waveforms feature seems to be broken in DP9. Used to be fine in DP8.
I can live without, but I do like rectified waveforms in Sequence Editor, specially while working with small sized tracks.
I made tests with DP8 and DP9 projects: same results.
dAn Shakin' all over! :unicorn:
DP11.31, OS12.7.4, MacBookPro-i7-3.1Ghz-16GoRam-1ToSSD
Falcon, Kontakt, Ozone, RX, Unisum & Michelangelo, LX480
Waldorf Iridium & STVC & Blofeld, Kemper Profiler Stage, EWIusb, Studiologic VMK, ControlPad
JBL4326+4312sub, Behringer X32rack
Many mics, mandolins, banjos, guitars, flutes, melodions, xylos, kalimbas...
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

daniel.sneed wrote:Don't if this has already been covered here, but rectified waveforms feature seems to be broken in DP9. Used to be fine in DP8.
I can live without, but I do like rectified waveforms in Sequence Editor, specially while working with small sized tracks.
I made tests with DP8 and DP9 projects: same results.
Confirmed here.
828x MacOS 13.6.6 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

That's really broken. Looks like it's trying to draw a rectified image, but draws nonsense.
BKK-OZ

Post by BKK-OZ »

Reading here about all the things that seem to be causing problems in DP 9, and knowing that DP 8 is working so well, and having not really seen much in DP 9 that really gets me excited, I just wonder what (if any) is the compelling case for upgrading?
Cheers,
BK

…string theory says that all subatomic particles of the universe are nothing but musical notes. A, B-flat, C-sharp, correspond to electrons, neutrinos, quarks, and what have you. Therefore, physics is nothing but the laws of harmony of these strings. Chemistry is nothing but the melodies we can play on these strings. The universe is a symphony of strings and the mind of God… it is cosmic music resonating through 11 dimensional hyperspace.
- M Kaku
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

BKK-OZ wrote:Reading here about all the things that seem to be causing problems in DP 9, and knowing that DP 8 is working so well, and having not really seen much in DP 9 that really gets me excited, I just wonder what (if any) is the compelling case for upgrading?
The hope for a quick and fully working update? :)

If MOTU nails DP9 with the next revisions, I think we have a winner. But there definitely are lots of little anomalies and bugs they must fix. Based on previous versions, they may even throw a couple of new features in there.
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman