Strange crossfade issue-DP not aware of audio until....

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
toodamnhip
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Strange crossfade issue-DP not aware of audio until....

Post by toodamnhip »

Recently, on several new files, I have found that after recording something, it will not crossfade properly. I have to RE record on TOP of the previous recorded file, (if even for a second of it), then undo, and at that point, crossfade works.

Strange issue. As if DP isn;t aware of the file until a second recording pass reminds SP of the 1st pass. Anyone else having a similar issue?
Mac Pro (Late 2013
2.7 GHz 12-Core Intel Xeon E5
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
MOTU 8pre, MTP AV, 828 mkII
Tons of VIS and plug ins. SSD hard drives etc
Shooshie

Re: Strange crossfade issue-DP not aware of audio until....

Post by Shooshie »

toodamnhip wrote:Recently, on several new files, I have found that after recording something, it will not crossfade properly. I have to RE record on TOP of the previous recorded file, (if even for a second of it), then undo, and at that point, crossfade works.

Strange issue. As if DP isn;t aware of the file until a second recording pass reminds SP of the 1st pass. Anyone else having a similar issue?
Do you think maybe that your computer and DP are trying to tell you something? Like "Dave, stop. Please stop, Dave. I'm afraid..."As if maybe it's choking on all those tracks you use? If you hear it start to sing "Daisy, Daisy, give me your answer, do" in slow motion, you'll know you've passed a certain threshold of no return.
:rofl:

Ok, I'm just giving you a hard time, 2dam. It's no secret that you push DP to its limits, so it's no surprise to me that you see the little oddities that nobody else ever sees. You're the canary in the coal mine. MOTU would do well to set up a guy to watch your rig constantly, which would probably give them the necessary info to stay ahead of the curve and provide flawless response to everyone else. :lol:

Shooshie

PS: no, I haven't seen that as far as I can remember. Once in a while I can't get a crossfade to show up, but a little messing around with it usually gets it going again in just a few seconds. Even so, it sounds as if the crossfade is working, but it's just not showing up on the track. I have't explored it deeply, but after reading your post, I think I probably know what I'd find.

PPS: tell that to MOTU.
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
Robert Randolph

Post by Robert Randolph »

toodamnhip wrote:Recently, on several new files, I have found that after recording something, it will not crossfade properly. I have to RE record on TOP of the previous recorded file, (if even for a second of it), then undo, and at that point, crossfade works.

I've had this exact same issue, multiple times now. I have no clue what causes it, and it's fairly annoying.

Once, I recall that simply making an edit to the soundbites then undoing it fixed it, but another time it didn't. I'm not exactly sure what that specific edit was. Usually I'm so good about keeping track of this stuff, but it was 'in the heat of the moment'
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Robert Randolph wrote:Once, I recall that simply making an edit to the soundbites then undoing it fixed it, but another time it didn't. I'm not exactly sure what that specific edit was. Usually I'm so good about keeping track of this stuff, but it was 'in the heat of the moment'
That sounds like what happens to me occasionally. This never used to happen, btw. I think it's new in 8.x. When I get a glitch that goes away after slamming my keyboard on the monitor a few times or something, I don't usually even make a mental note of it, but this was the exception, because it just never happened before, and suddenly here it was not crossfading. But I undid it a few times, or maybe I opened the Fade dialog and changed the shape of it, or something like that, and after a time or two it went away, and it hasn't bothered me again since then.

Now that I hear others having the problem, I have to think it's a bug. Maybe they have fixed it in DP9; if not they'll be hearing from us.

By the way, 2damhip, the method you described for jarring it loose; is that the ONLY thing that works for you? Have you tried undoing, redoing, changing fade shape, and that sort of thing? As far as I can remember, it's only happened to me once so far, but it didn't persist, and I was on my way after 30 seconds or so.

Shoosh
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

The two or three times it happened to me, changing the shape made it behave and I moved on. Never gave it another thought.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
RROY

Post by RROY »

Happens to me as well. Right after doing a punch and trying to apply a fade at an edge. Perhaps it is still writing an analyses file and until that's done it wont apply the fade. Don't remember this behavior in DP 7. Sometimes followed by a crash. Sent reports to MOTU
Mac Pro 2x2.4 quad core /24 gb ram/OS 10.13.6, Dp 10.13, MTP AV, /UAD 2, KOMPLETE 12, Stylus RMX, SD 3.0, EZ Drummer 3, A&H ZED R 16.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

RROY wrote:Happens to me as well. Right after doing a punch and trying to apply a fade at an edge. Perhaps it is still writing an analyses file and until that's done it wont apply the fade...
Interesting. Makes as much sense as anything. If it happens again, I'll try to pay attention. Thanks!
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

RROY wrote:Happens to me as well. Right after doing a punch and trying to apply a fade at an edge. Perhaps it is still writing an analyses file and until that's done it wont apply the fade. Don't remember this behavior in DP 7. Sometimes followed by a crash. Sent reports to MOTU

I think you're on to something. I don't do that many punches, but the night that it happened recently, I'd just done a punch-in. THAT must be the trigger. It's worth keeping your eyes open next time you have a punch-in, and see if your fade is broken.

Shoosh
toodamnhip

Post by toodamnhip »

Hey Shoosh and everyone. I wish it were due to a large file. The file is small and it is happening constantly. I am thinking of trashing prefs but my work schedule has’t allowed me to goof around with tech problems.
It is definitely an analysis issue. As soon as I re record on top of a take, the waveforms analyse, and before that, they don;t It seems DP does “see” any audio recorded until a re record on top of the file occurs. Very strange. Luckily, it plays the audio just fine. Another thing has been strange waveform behavior where there is a thick black line in the waveform for a bit while analyzing. Something is wrong for sure. Perhaps a re install of DP, prefs trashing, etc... When I have more time I will try
Mac Pro (Late 2013
2.7 GHz 12-Core Intel Xeon E5
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
MOTU 8pre, MTP AV, 828 mkII
Tons of VIS and plug ins. SSD hard drives etc