BIG problem with my template and DP8...

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
FMiguelez
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

BIG problem with my template and DP8...

Post by FMiguelez »

Wow!

I feel totally trapped.

A few days ago, I decided to start doing all my work with a sample rate of 48 KHz. No problem, I just change the setting in DP's counter, change my Track 16 and Tascam mixer settings, and I'm all good to go, RIGHT???????

Well, I must say it's a resounding NO.

The moment, the second I change the sample rate setting in DP, ALL MY BUNDLES DISAPPEAR and get messed up.
My template is HUGE, and there are many nested folders with hundreds of tracks across many chunks. Repairing this would take me at least a whole night (I would have to fire up absolutely everything and reset the bundles one track at a time).

As you can imagine, I simply find this unacceptable.

I tried importing the bundles from a recent copy. They import fine, but the tracks remain with the messed up bundles. For some reason, EVERYTHING gets replaced by some kind of Waves Mix L-1 bundle. ALL-of-them.

Is there a way to change the sample rate setting from a particular DP session from OUTSIDE DP, or is there I way I can avoid losing my bundles?

Setting the audio engine to MIDI only does the same thing, as does changing the buffer size.

What can I do now? I REALLY don't wan't to waste hours doing this... not for a simple sample rate setting... So it's either that, or keep working at 44.1. I truly can't believe this :smash: :smash: :smash:
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
FMiguelez

Re: BIG problem with my template and DP8...

Post by FMiguelez »

I must clarify that the bundles that are lost are FOR VIs only. DP's buses come back correctly.

So everything VI-related is what gets messed up. Equally annoying and unacceptable. Still trying to figure out a way around this. Not fun.
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

If you have a Time Machine backup you can restore the MOTU and DP plists... that should restore all your work.

Not sure how to make the shift to 48k. FWIW, I al always in 48k/24bit. If I need 44.1/16, etc. I bounce those but I always want my files to be broadcast ready. You just never know and it doesn't take up that much more room.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

Agreed.
Most of my work is scoring stuff against video, so I'd like to set my template to 48 KHz (I don't know what the hell I've been doing at 44.1. I guess I just got used to the post houses doing any needed conversions automatically).

Anyway. About my unpleasant issue, I tried opening autosaved copies, and they open fine. All the bundles are correct, so I can easily restore from those.

But no matter what, the moment I touch the sample rate setting or anything that restarts the MOTU Audio Engine, bye-bye any and all VI-related bundles.

I really feel trapped! :lol:

FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

Ok. After a million tests, the only way I could get everything back working correctly was to start from an EMPTY DP session. Change the sampling rate there. THEN, Load every single chunk and VI-Rack, load my MIDI devices, the bundles, and everything else.

I was dreading doing this, because the template is very big and I was nervous about errors when loading everything, but so far all seems to be working properly. I just needed to reset my color scheme, and as far as I see, everything's good.

Phew!

What a mess. I'm glad I solved this, but there should definitely be a way to change sample rates and restart the Audio Engine without the problems I mentioned. Really!

P.S. Even my Board Layouts translated and came back correctly from the Load operation.
In this aspect, DP has really improved, ironically enough, with the imported-loaded bundles.

monkey man

Post by monkey man »

Have you tried changing the SR with your Waves plugs removed, 'Nandito? By this I mean shifted out of whichever plug folder/s they're in in the Finder.

If this doesn't work, I'd try temporarily removing all 3rd-party plugs and trying that. If there's a culprit in this, I'm bettin' it's a non-MOTU one.

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

Hi, Nicky!

I remember doing what you suggested at some point during my trouble-shooting. I started DP in safe mode and disabled all the plug-ins... No change. The bundles were still messed up. I don't remember exactly what I saw when I tried this, but if my VI bundles weren't substituted by an arbitrary "waves blah blah", they were messed anyway by some other mean.

I don't know what it is about the MOTU Audio Engine that every time it restarts, i.e., changing the buffer size or sample rate, it substitutes ALL the VI bundles :(

The only test I'm thinking now that I didn't do was trying changing the sample rate when all the VIs were active and enabled, to see if this would make any difference. Hmmmmm... perhaps I shall try it just for the sake of completeness, but judging by what I did do, it doesn't look promising.

billf

Post by billf »

monkey man wrote:Waves plugs
Those caused a similar problem for me last week on one project. Which is weird because I use Waves frequently trouble free. But yes, it's always good to keep in mind that sometimes Waves does not play nice with DP.
MacPro5,1 2012, six core 2 x 3.06, 10.12.5, Digital Performer 9.13, 40 gb ram, 828mkIII, 2408 mkII, MTP AV, Logic Pro X 10.3.1, Studio One v 3.2, Pro Tools 12.7.1
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Same problem here. A couple of columns appear at the left end of the Bundles window columns for VIs called something like Waves Mix. I don't know what it's for, but if there is ever a mix up with the bundles things get assigned to these channels, probably because they are the first in the list.

This used to me happen frequently when loading older projects. I haven't verified it, but it seems to me it stopped happening with Yosemite and/or DP 8.07. Next chance I get I'll load up a large template and change the sample rate and see what happens.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

FMiguelez wrote:Hi, Nicky!

I remember doing what you suggested at some point during my trouble-shooting. I started DP in safe mode and disabled all the plug-ins... No change.
OK. Well done, 'Nandito.

Still, I'd wanna reload DP with said folders empty. Just to be sure the app doesn't load some sort of metadata or something from the plug folders. Silly, I know, but... just to be sure.

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here