6 system upgrades, 3 computers later still stuck notes

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
Bruce
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

6 system upgrades, 3 computers later still stuck notes

Post by Bruce »

After upgrading through almost every OS 10 X version- now on Yosemite-and along the way upgrading to a new computer 3 times during the same period (including just now), and going from DP 4 through DP 8, I actually still get MIDI stuck notes. The ONLY things that have not changed in my studio all that time are the main controller(a Kurzweil PC2)3 MIDI modules (Roland XV-5080, Korg Triton Rack and an Emu Protueus 2) and 2 effects units- a sony R7 and a Ensoniq DP/4. So I figure is HAS to be one of those items that when included in my MIDI setup creates the stuck note situation. None of my dozens of VIs ever stick although I do get the occasional random note trigger from one of them.

So has anyone ever figured out what the culprit might be...do one of my included modules or controller sound any alarms for anyone...?
Bruce Zimmerman
Sound Productions/ZimMusic Library

MacPro 3.3 6 core, Yosemite/Lion, DP 8, MTPAV, MOTU 828mkIII, Spectrasonics VIs, Ivory 2, Mach V2 3, Vienna, Ethno 2, Lots of Play VIs, etc

In your eyes, the light, the heat
stubbsonic

Re: 6 system upgrades, 3 computers later still stuck notes

Post by stubbsonic »

The only two things that have ever caused stuck notes or random notes were:

A bad/noisy MIDI cable

A defective M-Audio MIDIsport UNO interface.

The latter was the worst because it was kind of intermittent and cause me to do lots of things like suspecting innocent hardware or OS issues. Like you, I spent lots of hours and updates before realizing it was the stupid interface!!!!

I read your subject heading and just felt sympathy for you. SO SO FRUSTRATING.

Obviously, I can't say what is causing your issues.

It can be time consuming and expensive to narrow it down. You can test your cables. And do elimination troubleshooting. What interface are you using? Do you have access to another?
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
Bruce

Re: 6 system upgrades, 3 computers later still stuck notes

Post by Bruce »

I did forget to mention the MIDI interface part of this. I have used a MTP AV for most if not all of this time period. I actually swapped it out a few years ago for a Midiman Midisport which I bought to test to see if the interface was the culprit. It was taken out and I put the MTP back in so I guess it made no difference. (Hard to remember that far back.)

Just talked to MOTU and they suggested trying the midisport again/

Luckily- I guess- I only go to a module maybe 10% of the time now...mostly using VIs.
Bruce Zimmerman
Sound Productions/ZimMusic Library

MacPro 3.3 6 core, Yosemite/Lion, DP 8, MTPAV, MOTU 828mkIII, Spectrasonics VIs, Ivory 2, Mach V2 3, Vienna, Ethno 2, Lots of Play VIs, etc

In your eyes, the light, the heat