Amplidood's "Wouldn't it be nice..." list 2

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
amplidood
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Amplidood's "Wouldn't it be nice..." list 2

Post by amplidood »

Since MOTU has done so many amazing things with DP over the last few years, I figured it was time for a new one of these. There will be a couple carry overs, but so much has been fixed and improved. Thanks guys. So, wouldn't it be nice if...

1. ...we could have a preference to have Sends default to off/infinity.

This is still a big one for me. Seeing all those sends lit up makes me sad because I know the hoops I'm going to have to jump through to turn them all down. I will always make the point that if any assistant/intern zeroed a mixing console and put all the sends at unity, they would be immediately chewed out and or fired.

2. ...we could read what mixing board send we are editing.

This is a problem.

More to come....
Shooshie

Re: Amplidood's "Wouldn't it be nice..." list 2

Post by Shooshie »

amplidood wrote:Since MOTU has done so many amazing things with DP over the last few years, I figured it was time for a new one of these. There will be a couple carry overs, but so much has been fixed and improved. Thanks guys. So, wouldn't it be nice if...

1. ...we could have a preference to have Sends default to off/infinity.

This is still a big one for me. Seeing all those sends lit up makes me sad because I know the hoops I'm going to have to jump through to turn them all down. I will always make the point that if any assistant/intern zeroed a mixing console and put all the sends at unity, they would be immediately chewed out and or fired.

2. ...we could read what mixing board send we are editing.

This is a problem.

More to come....

Ditto. +1. I agree. Make it SO!

Shoosh
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

1. Define time ranges to be skipped during playback.
2. Open multiple instances of the Mixer window, each with its own track selector.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
Tesionman

Post by Tesionman »

This is an oldie but: MUTE MIDI NOTES!!!!!
Also, I would still prefer to have "traditional" Mute and Solo buttons in the sequence editor.
Get Real Live Drum Tracks @ http://www.hugoribeiro.com

Macbook Pro | DP 10.13 | Motu 8Pre (x2) | Apogee Duet 2
Sonor Drums | Sabian Cymbals | Remo Drumheads | Vater Drumsticks
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

I don't know how they would do this, other than by assigning every MIDI event some kind of identifier, but I wish we could save selections and bring them back later. Since the contents of the selection would always be changing it would require a little AI, but it would be an amazing feature. Currently you can store a selection range, which is helpful, but not the same thing. You can also do a search, and store it, and that is incredibly helpful, but... not the same thing.

Maybe most people don't return to edited material often enough to justify this. I do. In a touring concert, it is typical to go back and rework things that just aren't working. You end up selecting the same material again and again, often just something like offbeats, or hi-hats, or bass notes from beginning to end. I don't know; maybe it's not important. I always developed selection tricks that make it pretty quick. It's probably a feature that would go unused by all but a few.

Shoosh
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

Hang on... this is Andy's list v2, so it's... finished!

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

Well he did say "more to come" Mr. Monkey Man. :D

I don't have much to add except I would like more things to be able to be assignable to keyboard commands. Say for instance quantize settings in the MIDI and Sequence Editors.

Also, it would be great if in the Control Panel you could change the buffer setting. This one is puzzling to me? I change the buffer anytime I mix down, but I rarely change the sample rate.
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

Yeah Michael, I was only kidding. Andy's first "Wouldn't it be Nice if..." thread set the precedent. I was just monkeying around.

I agree, in fact, I thought the buffer setting had been added to the CP; guess I must've assumed this at some point after having spotted the SR. Does seem strange.

Interesting that the freeware Audacity's project SR appears in a similar field, bottom left of screen, but that, if I remember correctly, by clicking on it the bit-depth parameter is revealed as well. That's a two-for-one offer; perhaps DP could squeeze the SR, bit depth and buffer into a similar mini-menu which masquerades as a simple field displaying the last parameter adjusted. I like this idea. Has work-flow benefits...

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
jlaudon

Post by jlaudon »

Tesionman wrote:This is an oldie but: MUTE MIDI NOTES!!!!!
Also, I would still prefer to have "traditional" Mute and Solo buttons in the sequence editor.
YES!! Just basic mute/solo buttons that reflect the mixer mute/solo buttons not only in the SE but also the TO...
MacBook Pro 2021 (M1 Ultra) with 64 gigs RAM. DP 11.23
dix

Post by dix »

A different modifier for soloing a track and turning off every (other friggn) track in the project.

- Option-click on a track while in Solo mode and just that track is soloed (something I need to do often)

- Option-click on a track while NOT in Solo mode and every track in the entire chunk, in every folder and sub-folder, is turned off (something I never need to do) making it often impossible to get back on large projects with dozens, or 100+ tracks. This remains my #1-with-a-bullet DP groove-killer (I have to treat it like a crash) Seems like a different modifier for one operation or the other would be simple to implement.
14-inch MBP M1 Max (2021), 13.6.x, 64GB RAM, UAD Quad Tb Satellite, 4 displays ::: 2009 4,1 > 5,1 MacPro 12-core 3.33 ghz , 10.14.x, 96GB RAM, GeForce GTX 770 , NewerTech eSATA/USB3 PCIe Host Adapter, UAD-2 Quad, ::: 15-inch MBP (2015) 10.14.x, 16GB RAM ::: Lynx Aurora (n) USB ::: DP (latest version), Vienna Ensemble Pro danwool.com
Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

All indications are that mute MIDI notes will be in the upgrade to 9. So that's one from this list that won't wait on DPX! Gearslutz thread on DP9 has a developer hinting heavily that mute MIDI notes is in 9!

Actually this could be a fun list to reference when 9 comes out, since the updates that aren't announced are all these little workflow things we're talking about here! :)
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
dix

Post by dix »

Interesting. I think I found the GeatSlutz thread you're referring to. I don't see anything specific about mute MIDI notes, but it does indicate there'll be a lot more workflow improvements than what's been announced. Also, a vague timeline is mentioned!; Early summer at the earliest.

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/music-c ... iew-2.html
14-inch MBP M1 Max (2021), 13.6.x, 64GB RAM, UAD Quad Tb Satellite, 4 displays ::: 2009 4,1 > 5,1 MacPro 12-core 3.33 ghz , 10.14.x, 96GB RAM, GeForce GTX 770 , NewerTech eSATA/USB3 PCIe Host Adapter, UAD-2 Quad, ::: 15-inch MBP (2015) 10.14.x, 16GB RAM ::: Lynx Aurora (n) USB ::: DP (latest version), Vienna Ensemble Pro danwool.com
toodamnhip

Post by toodamnhip »

Tesionman wrote:This is an oldie but: MUTE MIDI NOTES!!!!!
I have said this before- It makes ZERO sense that MOTU has not added MIDI muting by now. I think MOTU is more intelligent than to ignore such a no brainer. Thus, I think they have some sort of programming dilemma that prohibits them from making MIDI muting for us. It’s the only way I can understand or explain such blatant disregard of our requests. MIDI muting is standard stuff and has long been adopted by at least pro tools, if not other companies. Maybe adding it would break DP in some way. I am not being facetious, I think MOTU has a programming dilemma of some sort. Of course, this is pure speculation, and of course, it is speculation because MOTU has said little on the subject....;)
Last edited by toodamnhip on Sat May 23, 2015 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mac Pro (Late 2013
2.7 GHz 12-Core Intel Xeon E5
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
MOTU 8pre, MTP AV, 828 mkII
Tons of VIS and plug ins. SSD hard drives etc
toodamnhip

Post by toodamnhip »

dix wrote:A different modifier for soloing a track and turning off every (other friggn) track in the project.

- Option-click on a track while in Solo mode and just that track is soloed (something I need to do often)

- Option-click on a track while NOT in Solo mode and every track in the entire chunk, in every folder and sub-folder, is turned off (something I never need to do) making it often impossible to get back on large projects with dozens, or 100+ tracks. This remains my #1-with-a-bullet DP groove-killer (I have to treat it like a crash) Seems like a different modifier for one operation or the other would be simple to implement.
+1
Mac Pro (Late 2013
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
toodamnhip

Post by toodamnhip »

This is a bit specific, and by all means not my whole “list”, but I wish snap shot copy and paste automation worked in plugs ins like it used to, and I wish MOTU, (or OSx or whatever), would quite breaking it every update or two. It works, then it;s broken, then it works, then....broken. Currently? Broken.
I also wish Waves and other plugs in automation amounts displayed in the same language is in the plug in. For example, +2.5 db in a waves plug in will show in Seq editor as 56678.23..or something like that.
And I wish snap shot automation worked in DP properly for all MAJOR plug ins. It is broken in Waves, and some Blue Tubes and randomly is broken in a variety of other plugs.
Mac Pro (Late 2013
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13