is Export MIDI broken in DP8? Empty files each time!

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
mhschmieder
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

is Export MIDI broken in DP8? Empty files each time!

Post by mhschmieder »

I did a search first but perhaps it was too coarse; nothing came up. Surely I'm not the only one?

For the first time in a couple of years, I needed to do MIDI export a couple of weeks ago for some projects, to share with a collaborator. No cigar!

It mattered not whether I manually selected the MIDI tracks within Track View, and with or without the Conductor Track, and which menu item I used to try to save as MIDI (either the export function or the save function).

I got the same file size each time, with a completely empty file. No track names, no MIDI data, etc.

Over the years, I have never had problems with MIDI export until now. But I didn't try SMF 0 format; only SMF 1 format. Maybe SMF 1 is broken currently?
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.6, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
stubbsonic

Re: is Export MIDI broken in DP8? Empty files each time!

Post by stubbsonic »

It's been working fine here. Makes me wonder if you have all the other ducks in a row, like play-enabled chunk? valid MIDI destinations? maybe the chunk end time?
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

Hmm, I'll check tonight.

It's possible I accidentally hit the shift key on something at one point, causing all the flags to flip.

These were all rendered a while back, but I did try several chunks within a project. I think I only tried one project though, and I might have subconsciously disabled some stuff as I was "done" with certain phases.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.6, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
cleamon

Post by cleamon »

mhschmieder wrote:I did a search first but perhaps it was too coarse; nothing came up. Surely I'm not the only one?

For the first time in a couple of years, I needed to do MIDI export a couple of weeks ago for some projects, to share with a collaborator. No cigar!

It mattered not whether I manually selected the MIDI tracks within Track View, and with or without the Conductor Track, and which menu item I used to try to save as MIDI (either the export function or the save function).

I got the same file size each time, with a completely empty file. No track names, no MIDI data, etc.

Over the years, I have never had problems with MIDI export until now. But I didn't try SMF 0 format; only SMF 1 format. Maybe SMF 1 is broken currently?
Not that this helps you much, but I just tried this and it works for me. track names and all data (notes, controllers, et. al). (DP 8.07)

p.s. FWIW, I selected the tracks from the Sequence window. Not sure if that makes a difference.
----------------------------------------------
Chuck
iMac (Retina 4K, 21.5-inch, 2017)|| 16GB Ram || OS/X 10.14.6 || Motu 828MkII || Steinberg UR242 || DP8.07
Macbook Pro (Retina, 13-inch), 2.7 GHz i5, 8GB Ram
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

Thanks; I'll try that too, as it is a less cluttered window and might be easier to verify what has been selected. I really like how much redundancy MOTU built into the Sequence Tab with the latest release.

I got home too late from jazz rehearsal last night to boot up my computer, but hopefully tonight.

Guitar Gaz

Post by Guitar Gaz »

I found it not working if the track is not play enabled - otherwise you can select a block in track overview and it exports fine - so play enable.
Gary Shepherd
iMac 27" 3.3 GHz Intel Core i5, 32 GB Ram, Monterey 12.7.4, 64 bit, Digital Performer 11.3, Studio One 6.6 Professional, Reason 11, Melodyne 5 Editor, Korg Legacy Wavestation and M1, Arturia minimoog V, Helix Native 3.72, Bias FX 2 Elite, Superior Drummer 3, EZkeys, EZbass, Nektar Panorama T4, Motu M4, Faderport 2018, Gibson Les Paul Standard, James Tyler Variax JTV-59 and other gear.
David Polich

Post by David Polich »

Correct....you have to play-enable all MIDI tracks, and the conductor track, and then select the
region you want to include (for example, from bar 1 beat 1 tick 1 to the very last measure of the song).
2019 Mac Pro 8-core, 32GB RAM, Mac OS Ventura, MIDI Express 128, Apogee Duet 3, DP 11.2x, Waves, Slate , Izotope, UAD, Amplitube 5, Tonex, Spectrasonics, Native Instruments, Pianoteq, Soniccouture, Arturia, Amplesound, Acustica, Reason Objekt, Plasmonic, Vital, Cherry Audio, Toontrack, BFD, Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha Montage M6, Korg Kronos X61, Alesis Ion,Sequential Prophet 6, Sequential OB-6, Hammond XK5, Yamaha Disklavier MK 3 piano.
http://www.davepolich.com
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

David Polich wrote:Correct....you have to play-enable all MIDI tracks, and the conductor track, and then select the
region you want to include (for example, from bar 1 beat 1 tick 1 to the very last measure of the song).
I don't think I've EVER selected anything before doing a save-as/SMF.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

"Export" is broken for me, for sure. This is using the "Export Selection As MIDI File" option.

I do have to be more specific in what I select than before (i.e. DP 7), but the Conductor Track is toast every time, as it loses all time signature changes and sets my tempo to 928 bpm!

If I go back to "Save As..." and then change the file type to MIDI and use my old preferences of "Format 1" and "Expand loops and apply effects", however, the Conductor Track is properly saved.

One interesting note is that "Export" actually defaults the file name to "Clipping", so I think this gives a clue why it doesn't really take all the data from the Conductor Track even though I manually selected that track along with the regular MIDI track(s).

In order to simplify vs. issues with SMF0 and SMF1, I tried exporting a solo piano rendition I did of Chick Corea's Hymn of the Seventh Galaxy. I chose that one also because it has several tempo and time signature changes (at least, the way I chose to transcribe and arrange it).

Anyway, the bottom line is that I do have to do more than before to get the actual MIDI tracks themselves to export, but am only successful in getting the Conductor Track to export when using "Save As" vs. "Export".

David Polich

Post by David Polich »

Don't "export" - do a "Save As" and from the available list, select "Standard MIDI File",
type 0 (one track of data) or type 1 (separate tracks).

DP will then ask you to define the region start and end times. If you've selected the region
previously in the T.O. window, then you'll see this selection mainatined when you go to
Save As..Standard MIDI File.
2019 Mac Pro 8-core, 32GB RAM, Mac OS Ventura, MIDI Express 128, Apogee Duet 3, DP 11.2x, Waves, Slate , Izotope, UAD, Amplitube 5, Tonex, Spectrasonics, Native Instruments, Pianoteq, Soniccouture, Arturia, Amplesound, Acustica, Reason Objekt, Plasmonic, Vital, Cherry Audio, Toontrack, BFD, Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha Montage M6, Korg Kronos X61, Alesis Ion,Sequential Prophet 6, Sequential OB-6, Hammond XK5, Yamaha Disklavier MK 3 piano.
http://www.davepolich.com