Very slowwww LOADING time for a project using Amplitube

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
musicman691

Re: Very slowwww LOADING time for a project using Amplitube

Post by musicman691 »

mikehalloran wrote:Apple OS and DP have diagnostic tools that allow you to find and fix problems. If a a clean install works, then using those tools to find and fix the problem would be faster - every time. If there's a bug in Amplitude, then neither will work but, at least you will know.

There's no "agree to disagree" nonsense here when you don't know how to find such problems and would rather write many paragraphs of justification than learn anything. :deadhorse:

I really don't care how much of other people's time you have helped waste.
Oh well - I tried. Like I said we'll just have to agree to disagree on this. One shouldn't have to use tools to fix problems that could have been avoided in the first place. But you do what makes things work for you and I'll do what makes things work for me. And for the record - I've never wasted anyone's time with helping them by doing a clean install. On the contrary I've helped them get their work done and show them the way to do it so they don't have issues in the future.

If what I write is beating a dead horse - that's your opinion and you're welcome to it and don't take it badly if I disagree with it.
Shooshie
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by Shooshie »

Clean install vs. automatic install:

In the Classic MacOS days, clean installs were definitely the way to go. No doubt about that. I used to get crashed clients back up and running very quickly with a clean install, back in OS7, 8 or 9.

Since OS X, and more specifically since somewhere around Panther or Leopard, I've found that it doesn't really make a lot of difference, if any. The OS is designed to take care of itself. I'm keeping track of so much information and so many installs and upgrades that it would take me over a week to do a clean install today. I'd have to be looking at it as a last resort for something, with guarantees that it would be effective. So far, I haven't had any issues that require that kind of heavy-hand. I prefer preventative maintenance and upgrades.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
mikehalloran
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by mikehalloran »

One shouldn't have to use tools to fix problems that could have been avoided in the first place.
As someone who bought his first Mac over 29 years ago and still uses some of the FileMaker files created then, I find that statement ridiculous.

Systems need updating, incompatibilities need to be found and weeded out. That's just part of being a longtime user.

Finding that old Big Fish Audio plugs, 2005 HP applications, Finale 2009 Help files, CD Spin Dr. and the Bresink crap are gumming up the works in 10.8.2 (but worked great in 10.6.8) is part of moving forward. I have watched the Mackie HUI drivers try to load in DP 8 after a plugin install or OS update and have seen DP 7 fail to find plugins. If you want to do a clean install, I won't stop you but I can fix any of those problems in less than 5 minutes. Except for the DP issues, they stay fixed.

There's no magic way to devine these things. Understanding crash reports, console and the DP Background Processing window, OTOH, gets these things discovered and fixed right away. Why spend hours or days when you can find the problem in minutes? Even if you don't know the answer, finding the problem is 3/4 the way there. Google it and, often as not the answer will show up.

Yes, in each case, a clean install would have fixed it – as long as I didn't reinstall any of the above but, for me, that takes days in my spare time. I still have to make a living on my Mac and can't afford the luxury to waste that kind of time.
In the Classic MacOS days, clean installs were definitely the way to go. No doubt about that. I used to get crashed clients back up and running very quickly with a clean install, back in OS7, 8 or 9.
Those were the days, yes. On my own system. I did it in 6.7 on my Plus when my first HD crashed and 8.0 when I got my Beige G3. The other 30 or so Macs that I take care of, yea, it was something I did.

OS 10.5 and Time Machine meant never having to do that again except for once on my own iMac last October – and that was a choice I made, not something I had to do.

I did my own system again when there was a Time Machine restore bug in 10.9.4. I was doing some testing for one of my clients and realized it had been 16 years. So, even though I could have popped the TM drive into my eSATA dock, I did it to lighten the load on my hard drive before I installed my new SSD. The bug was fixed in 10.9.5, BTW.

If you want to shout to the rooftops why you believe in clean installs to fix simple problems, knock yourself out. If other people let you waste their time, not my issue. If you think there are two sides to this, I am not playing that game.

Some of us are hobbyists. Others of us use these PCs and Macs in our work. Again :deadhorse:

Back to the OP. You can activate DP's Background Processing window in Preferences. Either it or Console (sometimes both) should tell you where the problem lies.

DP 8 has this thing where faulty processes will attempt to load three times before DP gives up and loads the rest of the program. This can show up in either window. The usual fix is to reinstall DP 8 over itself. Sometimes you also have to trash the Preference files but that is rare.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro