FEATURE REQUEST: Smart Freezing

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
DanielCoe
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

FEATURE REQUEST: Smart Freezing

Post by DanielCoe »

I love the freeze function, but it's so clunky as it is now. Here are a few suggestions:

1.) Freeze whatever MIDI channel is selected and name the new soundbite based on the MIDI channel name, not the instrument. A single instrument may have a variety of different patches, so naming the new soundbite after the instrument name (as it does now) is not too helpful.

2.) And for an added level of automation/sophistication, I wish that I could simply select the MIDI data on a track/tracks and DP would freeze it, prompt for a name for the resulting bounce, and automatically find a stop point based on a specified cutoff volume. Spoil me!
Mac Pro (Mid 2010) 2 x 2.93 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon
128GB RAM
MOTU 2408 mk3
Mac OS 10.14.6
Shooshie

Re: FEATURE REQUEST: Smart Freezing

Post by Shooshie »

Daniel,

Your suggestions sound good, but I don't think anyone from MOTU reads these suggestions in search of what to do next in DP. If you want to get closer to those who might do something about it, try this link:

http://www.motu.com/other/feedback/suggestions

I haven't used it for a while, but it worked the last time I did.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
dix

Post by dix »

These are good. I'd add a "Freeze to New Track" option. I rarely Freeze to save resources, as was the original intent of this feature. I usually Freeze so I can manipulate or process the audio in some way. I do this a lot. Having to Duplicate and then delete the original is a PIA.

Re the suggestion box. I've got several suggestions. I'm wondering if it's best to send them all in one message, or one suggestion per.
14-inch MBP M1 Max (2021), 13.6.x, 64GB RAM, UAD Quad Tb Satellite, 4 displays ::: 2009 4,1 > 5,1 MacPro 12-core 3.33 ghz , 10.14.x, 96GB RAM, GeForce GTX 770 , NewerTech eSATA/USB3 PCIe Host Adapter, UAD-2 Quad, ::: 15-inch MBP (2015) 10.14.x, 16GB RAM ::: Lynx Aurora (n) USB ::: DP (latest version), Vienna Ensemble Pro danwool.com
DanielCoe

Post by DanielCoe »

dix wrote:These are good. I'd add a "Freeze to New Track" option. I rarely Freeze to save resources, as was the original intent of this feature. I usually Freeze so I can manipulate or process the audio in some way. I do this a lot. Having to Duplicate and then delete the original is a PIA.

Re the suggestion box. I've got several suggestions. I'm wondering if it's best to send them all in one message, or one suggestion per.
I like that new track option. I also freeze to manipulate and hate that it always prints to the same track. What I end up doing is creating a similar track as the Freeze track. It's a pain.

I'd write suggestions to MOTU one idea at a time.
128GB RAM
MOTU 2408 mk3
Mac OS 10.14.6
DanielCoe

Post by DanielCoe »

Shooshie wrote:Daniel,

Your suggestions sound good, but I don't think anyone from MOTU reads these suggestions in search of what to do next in DP. If you want to get closer to those who might do something about it, try this link:

http://www.motu.com/other/feedback/suggestions

I haven't used it for a while, but it worked the last time I did.

Shooshie
Thank you!
128GB RAM
MOTU 2408 mk3
Mac OS 10.14.6