External waveform edits brought back into DP

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
HummingMoose
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

External waveform edits brought back into DP

Post by HummingMoose »

Can someone tell me if I'm missing something here.

All I'm trying to do is export a track, pitch shift in external waveform editor (DSP Quattro Pro 4.x, latest version), and pull the track back into DP and preserve tempo, project tempo is at 70.

I bounce a complete mono track to disk (since I have edits) as a wave file, and I am using current project settings for the wav file (interleaved, 24 bit..). I take that wav file, import it into DSPQ, do a pitch shift, save as a separate modified wave file. Audio file length and samples are identical in both files before and after edit. Now, go back to DP and import the wav file as a new soundbite -- and I've turned OFF automatic soundbite tempo conversion (it should NOT try to match project tempo), and even turned off analysis to determine soundbite tempo on import, basically, just import the raw audio file. Then I drag the imported modified file into a track just below the original unmodified version. Upon inspection, the audio file overall time and number of samples are the same (displayed in soundbite info windows), and the files appear to be same length visually. When I zoom in, and get towards the middle to end of the sequence, the two files are out of sync slightly and gets worst as I get towards the end of the sequence, and this is verified by playback of the modified file with other tracks in the sequence, it's definitely out of sync. What could be causing this scaling?

With automatic conversion off, what else is happening to this audio file. Is this being done externally in DSPQ, or is it something in DP doing something to the audio file that I am not aware of?

Any help/suggestions would be great.
philbrown

Re: External waveform edits brought back into DP

Post by philbrown »

I don't have an answer, but I would:
Create a new empty DP file
Drag both your DP bounce and your DSP-Q processed bounce into DP and now compare.

Unfortunately it's harder to compare the 2 within DSP-Q since they would be in separate windows, although you could copy the files, name the copies with .L and .R and bring them in as a stereo file and compare that way, or use another DAW if you have one. That comparison would eliminate the variable of DP doing something to the file upon re-importing.

My gut feeling is that DSP-Q is the culprit here, but I have no real logic to back that up.
2020 iMac 27" 3.6GHz 10 core i9 • Mac OS 12.2.1 • DP 11.04 • UAD-8 Octo card • Midas M32R

Plugs: UAD•Slate•Scuffham•Flux IRCAM•NI Komplete•Klanghelm•Waves•Spectrasonics•Arturia•Soundtoys•Nomad Factory•PSP•Stillwell•Cytomic•Korg•Five12•GForce
HummingMoose

Post by HummingMoose »

Thanks philbrown,

I'll try what you suggested. Now that you brought it up, I'll see if I get similar issues if I edit the audio file in Triumph, but first, I'll compare the two as L/R first to see if something fishy is going on outside DP. I just used DSP-Q because the pitch shift algorithm works fairly well compared to DP DSP.

I've successfully pulled in audio files from other DAW's without any issues, so I figured this should be a easy thing to do...

If the problem is outside DP, I'll contact Stefano and see if he can shed some light on it.
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

FWIW, I've noticed time scaling on DSP outside of DP as well. When I tried SoundSoap it was most noticeable.

But back on topic: I wonder if how one exports out of DSPQ makes a difference? And are both apps running the same sample and bit rates?
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS