DP 8.07 Autosave causing crashes in OS X 10.10.3???

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
Clevelandrawks
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

DP 8.07 Autosave causing crashes in OS X 10.10.3???

Post by Clevelandrawks »

Searched threads but didn't find anything on this topic. Ever since moving from 10.10.1 through 10.10.2 and the .3 recently, I have been having crash problems in DP 8.07. I am wondering if autosaves function in DP is causing this or could this be a deeper problem with OSX? I have turned off autosave, but only briefly because I honestly don't want to crash a project and loose work. Anyone else experiencing this issue?
MAC pro quad-core, 32GB memory, OS X 10.11.3, DP 9.01, Protools 11.3, Logic Pro X, REAPER, RX5, Altiverb-7, Speakerphone 2 and WAVElab 8. 10TB of raid, plugs, plugs and more plugs.
Gravity Jim

Re: DP 8.07 Autosave causing crashes in OS X 10.10.3???

Post by Gravity Jim »

There is no inherent problem with DP 8.07 and OSX 10.10.x. If your rig crashes when try to autosave, it sounds like a disk structure problem. I would first try running Disk Utility to find and fix problems and trashing DP's preferences.
Jim Bordner

MacPro 5,1 (3.33Ghz 12-core), 32g RAM, OS X 10.14.6 • MOTU DP 10.11 • Logic Pro X 10.2.5 • Waves Platinum, UAD-2, Slate Digital, Komplete, Omnisphere 2, LASS, CineSamples, Chipsounds, V Collection 5[color]
philbrown

Post by philbrown »

Is your hard drive close to full?
Try running off another drive if you have one available.
2020 iMac 27" 3.6GHz 10 core i9 • Mac OS 12.2.1 • DP 11.04 • UAD-8 Octo card • Midas M32R

Plugs: UAD•Slate•Scuffham•Flux IRCAM•NI Komplete•Klanghelm•Waves•Spectrasonics•Arturia•Soundtoys•Nomad Factory•PSP•Stillwell•Cytomic•Korg•Five12•GForce
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

There's nothing inherently wrong with autosave, DP or OS X that affects everyone, so it's got to be something to do with preparing for a save, then perhaps the target disk. That puts me pretty much in line with the other replies here, though you may be experiencing something during the preparation phase, as DP commands itself to save the file.

Trying to follow that lead, I end up thinking too little RAM, or possibly an illegal character in the name. Do you have a colon in the name? A / (slash)?

Shoosh
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
Clevelandrawks

Post by Clevelandrawks »

Repaired the disk the session files are on. I am using an SSD drive for this DP project and frequently do an iDefrag as well. I did have one "_" in the title of the file and removed that. No change after having done these. Stills crashes and seems either auto save or possibly when I do a mouse click I have also noticed crashing then too. Thinking it could be an issue with my older Logitech 310 wireless mouse, I purchased a new Apple bluetooth mouse and all other programs work fine with this mouse. Here's the report from disk utility;

Verifying and repairing partition map for “OWC Mercury Accelsior PCIe SSD Media”Checking prerequisitesChecking the partition listAdjusting partition map to fit whole disk as requiredChecking for an EFI system partitionChecking the EFI system partition’s sizeChecking the EFI system partition’s file systemChecking the EFI system partition’s folder contentChecking all HFS data partition loader spacesChecking booter partitionsReviewing boot support loadersChecking Core Storage Physical Volume partitionsUpdating Windows boot.ini files as requiredThe partition map appears to be OK

The SSD has a capacity of 479.6GB and there's 272.54GB of free space. So the hard drive has plenty of room.

I am not running any plugins in this session and I have 32GB of RAM so that is doubtfully a problem.
I'm doing another iDefrag as I write and I'll get back on to report any changes.

Thanks guys. Any other ideas might be helpful if you think of anything.
MAC pro quad-core, 32GB memory, OS X 10.11.3, DP 9.01, Protools 11.3, Logic Pro X, REAPER, RX5, Altiverb-7, Speakerphone 2 and WAVElab 8. 10TB of raid, plugs, plugs and more plugs.
Clevelandrawks

Post by Clevelandrawks »

I need to also add that this "crashing issue" is inherent on all DP projects. Protools, Apple Logic Pro all have no issues with crashing in this way. :banghead:
Clevelandrawks

Post by Clevelandrawks »

Need to also mention I did another download of DP 8.07 and reinstalled. Plus prior to that I downloaded and installed the latest combi for OS X10.10.3. Having read a post about mouse crashes, I thought this may help too. No changes.
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

FWIW what I have experienced in terms of DP crashes in general is that the app doesn't like to be "disturbed" when executing any function. IOW, if a process is underway on a soundbite or MIDI data and I click the mouse or execute a key stroke, DP will reliably crash 90% of the time. If I click the mouse during launch it'll also crash. That has been true since at least DP 5 on my system.

About 10% of the time I'll get a color wheel and DP recovers, and since DP 8.04 or so, DP has stopped phoning crash reports to MOTU.

My gut feeling is the app has deficient code somewhere that is screwing up the disk reading process. No other apps exhibit this behavior.

If my theory is correct then an auto save process could conceivably be "interrupting" some other process and crashing the app. Maybe not, yet I can still bring DP to its knees with a mouse click at the wrong time.

I don't use auto save as it can interrupt an ongoing procedure and crash (yes, I've seen that) or at best, screw up an ongoing edit. That aspect of auto save interrupting a user initiated process is shared with other apps, such as Finale.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Clevelandrawks

Re: DP 8.07 Autosave crashes in OS X 10.10 (Resolved-may

Post by Clevelandrawks »

Thanks MIDI. What you say makes perfect sense. I have also noticed the mouse syndrome. I'll be executing a EQ plugin on a soundbite in the Sequence editor window and then try to move the cursor to a new location in the sequence editor and BOOM, colored wheel, followed by a crash. And it seemed to coincide 90% of the time to the last Autosave. So I was assuming for some time that it was autosave instead of the mouse.

resolved-maybe

After iDefrag did it's thing and the drive is now completely clean of any bugs it may have had and all the file structure is in place, no crashes. YET. Been working steady on the same project for about an hour editing ADR. I am though, forcing myself to wait till DP is done processing a file before moving the mouse or clicking on another process, like "command-S" or "command B" to start another import or save. Seems to be more stable now. But the jury is still out to a degree. And honestly, I'm not sure which of the troubleshooting fixes listed above and that I did fixed the problem. Maybe the combination of all??? :smash:

I do think there's something wrong with the code in DP though and it does have to do with Autosave. I'm going to get a little more brave and turn Autosave off and try to make it crash without doing a lot of processing so i don't loose much if DP does crash. Too bad crashes aren't being sent to MOTU any longer. Hopefully Big Dave is watching.

Thanks all for your input. Once again MOTU-nation has come through for me.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

You aren't letting iDefrag run in the background, are you? Are you running mechanical drives or SSDs?
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Clevelandrawks

Post by Clevelandrawks »

No. All .app's are off during iDfrag. I have a combination of 3 x 4TB spin up drives for plugs and other software. All DP projects, PT and Logic projects are stored on 2 x 500GB SSD drives.
Clevelandrawks

Re: DP 8.07 Autosave causing crashes in OS X 10.10.3(RESOLVE

Post by Clevelandrawks »

Update on DP crashes

So I spent the balance of yesterday working on on the same project which seemed to cause crashes. After the troubleshooting repairs suggested. No Crashes!!!! :woohoo:

Again not sure which of the repairs, i.e., trash preferences, change the DP file name so no "_" in the title, iDfrag'd the SSD the project was stored on, downloaded and installed the OS X 10.10.3 combi, downloaded DP 8.07 and did an install, installed a new Apple bluetooth mouse and finally stopped using "Autosave".

So if anyone is having crash issues with DP 8.07 in the same way I was, might want to try these fixes. (in no particular order)