Direct Hardware Playthrough and bus to stereo track

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
massimosammi
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Direct Hardware Playthrough and bus to stereo track

Post by massimosammi »

Hello there,
I use a Track 16 interface, and I use:

- "Direct Hardware Playthrough" in the "Input Monitoring Mode" to track a guitar part;
- "Audible Mode" in the control panel;
- "Auto" in the "Audio Patch Thru";

with a stereo audio track in the background as accompaniment, which I'll call "BACKING".
Everything works fine if I put the "Main Out" as the output of both tracks (the guitar track and "BACKING"). But what I'd like to do is to record in one pass "BACKING" and the guitar to another stereo track. So I create another stereo track called "MIX" and I send the output of the guitar and "BACKING" to bus 1-2 and I put the input of "MIX" as bus 1-2.
I put the guitar in audible mode and I record enable "MIX" and put it in audible mode.

There are two issues:
- I can't hear the stereo accompaniment track, both when I hit play or record, while I hear the guitar;
- when I record "MIX", even if I can't hear it, "BACKING" gets printed, whereas the guitar it's not printed when I play it, even though I can hear it.

Could you please tell me what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks in advance!
TinenTech

Re: Direct Hardware Playthrough and bus to stereo track

Post by TinenTech »

How are you sending your guitar to Bus 1-2? Via an Aux send? If so, be aware that Direct Hardware Playthrough mutes aux sends while the track is recording.

I haven't used the Track 16, but try turning Direct Playthrough OFF and using CueMix FX to hear your guitar instead. That should work.

Why not mix the guitar and backing track AFTER you've recorded the guitar, using Bounce to Disk, instead of trying to mix them together live?
MacBook Pro 9,1 (mid-2012 Core i7 2.3 GHz 4 GB RAM), OSX 10.11.3, Newertech Voyager SATA drive dock
MOTU: DP 9.02, Traveler Mk 1, 896 MkIII Hybrid, MIDI Express XT
Alesis AI3 optical interface, QS8, QS7, DM Pro, DM5, QSR
Mackie Controller and Extender (original MIDI)
Pro Tools 12
massimosammi

Post by massimosammi »

I'm sending the guitar right to "MIX".
I'll follow your suggestions and hopefully it will work fine!
Thanks!
csavetman

Post by csavetman »

I think the problem you may be having, and someone may correct me, is due to the fact you're using direct hardware play through. When that option is selected, I don't believe you can monitor inputs sent out a DP bus, since the bus is part of DP's mixer and direct hardware play through bypasses that for low latency monitoring. That is why you also can't monitor plugins on a record enabled track in that mode as well. (Only on playback.)

Carlos
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

csavetman wrote:I think the problem you may be having, and someone may correct me, is due to the fact you're using direct hardware play through. When that option is selected, I don't believe you can monitor inputs sent out a DP bus, since the bus is part of DP's mixer and direct hardware play through bypasses that for low latency monitoring. That is why you also can't monitor plugins on a record enabled track in that mode as well. (Only on playback.)

Carlos
Correct.
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
Movies

Post by Movies »

I think I maybe don't fully understand the mechanics of this.

In "Direct hardware playthrough," this situation plays back fine:

Mono Analog Track: Input=Analog 1, Output=Bus 1-2
AUX Track: Input=Bus 1-2, Output=Main Out 1-2

But this situation does NOT playback:

Mono Analog Track: Input=Analog 1, Output=Bus 1-2
AUX Track: Input=Bus 1-2, Output=Bus 3-4
Stereo Track: Input=Bus 3-4, Output=Main Out 1-2

regardless of whether or not the "Input Monitor" is enabled on the stereo track or not.

I, of course, CAN get the second situation to work in "Monitor record-enabled tracks through effects" mode, but I can't track with zero latency in that mode, which means that I'd have to keep switching back and forth between DHP and MRETTE modes.

I guess my questions then are: As someone who doesn't use CueMix, (1) if it's not possible to monitor inputs sent out of a DP bus, why does the first situation work and (2) is there any way to get the second situation to work in DHP?

Thanks!
MacBook Pro 2.5 GHz Quad-Core Intel i7/16GB, OSX 10.14.6, DP 10.1, MOTU 896mk3