Need help with MIDI file tempo import

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
guitardood
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Need help with MIDI file tempo import

Post by guitardood »

Hello All,
I'm getting back to writing some new tunes and have a bunch of old MIDI idea files from Sonar which I would like to import and it's got me pulling out what's left of my hair trying to import the MIDI files with their respective tempos. Meter settings come across as does key info, but not the tempo.

I'm opening up my main template which has a blank conductor track. I then go to Finder where I have my old MID files and drag it to the Tracks view. DP then asks if I wish to Merge or Ignore the incoming Conductor info. I select Merge. The resultant project's tempo however remains unchanged instead of from the MIDI. If I drag the MIDI to the chunks and then make it active, the tempo is correct from the MIDI file. I can then drag the required tracks from the second chunk to the first chunk where I want them, but still have to manually change the tempo on the starting chunk.

I've searched the forum and read up on previous posts regarding this topic and think I'm on the right track, but no joy. Am I missing a setting or is my import procedure flawed somehow?

Appreciate any help.

Chuck Fletcher on Reverb Nation
Chuck Fletcher on Facebook

"Life is like a box of chocolates. You know, eventually you're going to get the one filled with alien-like nasty tasting goo and have to spit it out and say YUCK".
stubbsonic

Re: Need help with MIDI file tempo import

Post by stubbsonic »

Is your tempo set to be controlled by the conductor track and not the tempo slider?

That is set on a per chunk basis, I believe. You'll probably have to change that for every MIDI file you import. Unless somehow changing your default DP file (i.e., the one it just makes with a new file) will carry over for this.

If the tempo is in the conductor track, but you don't have the control set to conductor that would do it.

Also, look in the conductor track to see if the tempo message is there.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
guitardood

Post by guitardood »

stubbsonic wrote:Is your tempo set to be controlled by the conductor track and not the tempo slider?

That is set on a per chunk basis, I believe. You'll probably have to change that for every MIDI file you import. Unless somehow changing your default DP file (i.e., the one it just makes with a new file) will carry over for this.

If the tempo is in the conductor track, but you don't have the control set to conductor that would do it.

Also, look in the conductor track to see if the tempo message is there.
Thanks for the help. I do have the tempo set to the conductor track and not the slider. When I go in and look at the conductor track after dragging the MIDI to the tracks view and choosing merge, the conductor track's tempo information is blank.

Chuck Fletcher on Reverb Nation
Chuck Fletcher on Facebook

"Life is like a box of chocolates. You know, eventually you're going to get the one filled with alien-like nasty tasting goo and have to spit it out and say YUCK".
b.g.

Post by b.g. »

I posted about this in the DP Tips Sheet:
http://www.motunation.com/forum/viewtop ... 35#p440800

To wit: Double-click the SMF from the Finder and Save As… Digital Performer Project Document. (P- is added to the beginning of the file name.) Then Load… the resulting DP Chunk into the project file. This way MIDI tempo data survives.
MacBook Pro retina 2015, i7, 16GB, DP 10, M4