DP 8 and OS X 10.10.3 MAJOR PROBLEM [Solved!]

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
MIDI Life Crisis
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

DP 8 and OS X 10.10.3 MAJOR PROBLEM [Solved!]

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

If I close the mixing board window, DP crashes every time. Not much more to tell. Using the Consolidated Window, DP would NOT pop the mixing board out of the side window since as long as I have had DP 8. under 10.10.1 and 10.10.2

I could (in the past) "trick" DP into letting me float the mixing board by selecting it in the center pane and then hitting CTL-1 to float it, but as of 10.10.3 any attempt to close the mixer crashes DP. Also, any attempt to close ANY window now crashes DP.

This is serious. I think I will attempt to revert to 10.10.1 and leave 10.10.3 to you guys to figure out. Needless to say, I'm pretty pissed off. I'll try not using the CW and see if that helps, but DP is really due for an update and farina' soon. It's been crashing unexpectedly more and more often and is getting in the way of my work now.

If this continues, I will consider jumping ship on MOTU. I'd rather have a more stable and less capable DAW than one that just goes south when it freakin' feels like it.

No cute little icons or funny picts on this post. This is really a very serious problem.
Last edited by MIDI Life Crisis on Thu Apr 09, 2015 8:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
MIDI Life Crisis

Re: DP 8 and OS X 10.10.3 MAJOR PROBLEM

Once I stop using the consolidate window the problem goes away, so that at least is hopeful... MOTU had better get on this and fast!
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
MIDI Life Crisis

BTW, there is NO going back to 10.10.1 as we could with 10.10.2.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

Thanks for the heads up. I'm very sorry to hear this, but I haven't taken the .3 plunge yet. I'll keep my ear to the ground.
828x MacOS 13.6.6 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:If I close the mixing board window, DP crashes every time. Not much more to tell. Using the Consolidated Window, DP would NOT pop the mixing board out of the side window since as long as I have had DP 8. under 10.10.1 and 10.10.2

I could (in the past) "trick" DP into letting me float the mixing board by selecting it in the center pane and then hitting CTL-1 to float it, but as of 10.10.3 any attempt to close the mixer crashes DP. Also, any attempt to close ANY window now crashes DP.
Did you run the Combo Updater? I have 10.10.3 on my system and I can't reproduce this. I just opened a project and was able to pop the mixing board pane out of the CW into its own window with now crash. Could also close it with no problems.
If this continues, I will consider jumping ship on MOTU. I'd rather have a more stable and less capable DAW than one that just goes south when it freakin' feels like it.
Well to the extend that the problem might be caused by 10.10.3 on your system (I can't reproduce here)... an version of the OS that was released AFTER a version of DP isn't really "when it freakin' feels like it." MOTU can't fix bugs created by a future OS.

Again, I'm sorry you're having problems. I wish I knew what was causing it on your end. I wonder if it's something specific to the nMP and the graphics card or something? I have no clue.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
MIDI Life Crisis

Add to that when you restart or startup (atlas on my 2013 Mac Pro) it takes at least a minute or two to get an internet connection established. This really is starting to suck BIG TIME.

Yes, I used the combo updater. I suppose I could reapply it. Could get any worse. Thanks.

And yes, there are problems with the graphics card. I'll call Applecare in the morning and make a very loud noise. One reason I paid with my Amex card is they will back you on purchases that do not pan out and hold the vendor accountable (i.e. - retract the money and credit my account). They've done it several times for some pretty large purchases and that always gets the attention of the vendor.

For the moment I can just stay away from the CW and see how it goes. The other problems (such as slow to establish internet connections) is an old problem for this new machine.

It's always somethin'

Thanks for you responses guys.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

Just Spit Balling: I smell WindowServer. There is definitely something non-standard about how DP handles 10.10 displays, i.e., "DP Full Screen Bug". Do you have a TM backup to go to?

http://osxdaily.com/2015/04/06/windowse ... -mac-os-x/
828x MacOS 13.6.6 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
MIDI Life Crisis

cuttime wrote:Just Spit Balling: I smell WindowServer. There is definitely something non-standard about how DP handles 10.10 displays, i.e., "DP Full Screen Bug". Do you have a TM backup to go to?

http://osxdaily.com/2015/04/06/windowse ... -mac-os-x/
I do have a TM backup but that's a bitter than I can deal with at the moment. Thanks for the reminder. If it gets really bad I'll definitely do that.

I read the article, thanks for that. In fact, I have already done most of that stuff. I also recall there was an internet startup problem that appeared earlier in the system and it ended up to be something like Little Snitch (?) running at startup or something like that.

I should know better than to jump in like this. I was a few minutes into a new project for one of my more high profile clients and since I had just started work on this today I thought it would be a safe bet to take the plunge. As long as I stay away from CW I'm good. I can even pop a few windows in and out but NOT the mixer. A tech link is waiting for MOTU when they get in tomorrow. I'm sure they'll be plenty interested.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:I can even pop a few windows in and out but NOT the mixer. A tech link is waiting for MOTU when they get in tomorrow. I'm sure they'll be plenty interested.
Hmmm... I wonder why just the Mixing Board window? BTW, it may be absolutely NOTHING to do with your graphics card. I'm not a programmer and haven't really the slightest idea what could be causing it... just shooting in the dark.

Have you tried creating a new, empty project and creating some empty MIDI and audio tracks and then seeing if DP still crashes when you pop the Mixing Board window in and out? I'm wondering if there's any connection with having a particular plug-in on the Mixing Board, or maybe the presence of a V-Rack. (I do basic rocks songs one and a time, not as multiple chunks in the same project, so I rarely use V-Racks.)

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
MIDI Life Crisis

I did, in fact , open a blank project and got the same result. No plugs but I do have a default V-Rack setup. It might well be something in my default template. Something to investigate tomorrow. I've cooled down considerably since first reporting this, especially since I can work again. The mixing board thing is a mystery. As for the graphics card, it's a good call to check out. Apple did have to replace the "lower card" in this machine and many 3013 nMPs have defective graphic cards. I was told to wait for 10.10.3 to see if all my issues went away and that was the main reason I jumped on this so fast. I probably would have anyway and I wouldn't be surprised if i got a call from my Apple rep tomorrow. Yeah, he CALLS me from Applecare every so often. I guess I the canary in the coal mine on this thing. That, and he finds me somewhat easy to explain things to and I act on them as directed. And I still have my 8-core sitting in storage so I'm surely not dead in the water.

Thanks again for the suggestions.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

While they are sorting out this problem, it would be a good time to use Spaces for a full-screen Mixer that stays open all the time. (Or do you do that already?) But since you can't get it out of CW if CW is turned on, you might consider a full-blown Spaces/Mission Control window arrangement, rather than using full-screen DP graphics. That is, distribute your windows individually throughout Spaces using the Misison Control screen, which I know you use for some things already.

I think it would be a very productive way to work while the CW is off-limits for you.

BTW, I feel for your situation. Nobody likes having to endure that kind of stuff. So sorry it's happening to your setup. I hope Apple or MOTU figures this out and squashes the bug!

Shoosh
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
MIDI Life Crisis

I don't use Spaces, per say, but most apps on full screen (Safari, Mail, etc.) I'll give Spaces a shot (so to speak). I have noticed a few things this morning (and have had a couple of random crashes already).

• Auto-save was turned on. I KNOW I had turned it off but I guess when I trashed the plist and preferences files it got turned back on.

• When I went to access my UNDO history, DP crashed. I trashed the UNDO folder en masse, and DP did not rebuild it, yet I still have an UNDO history from yesterday and this morning.

Before I go much further on the current project, I'll reapply the DP update and LOAD the current chunks into a new project (in an attempt to get as "clean" an install of DP as possible. The whole thing is starting to feel like the "old days" when my Atari and even my onboard Ensoniq sequencers would crash every other time I hit play. They also took much longer to restart as a system. It was that process which prompted the name of my company. Perhaps I should look for another name at this point?

MIDI
Is
D
amn
I
diotic :banghead:
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
MIDI Life Crisis

Re: DP 8 and OS X 10.10.3 MAJOR PROBLEM [Solved!]

And so...

Reapplied the full DP 8.07 package and the problem has disappeared! Somewhere, something had apparently gotten corrupted.

The only issues remain at this moment are:

1: the UNDO folder is MIA,

2: double clicking the conductor track doesn't open anything. I can set a side window (I'm back in the CW again) to see it, so there is a work around.

Thanks for you collective and individual assistance, guys. Sorry to have gone nuclear on this.

ps - and please stay off my lawn! :mumble:

:unicorn:
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Reapplied the full DP 8.07 package and the problem has disappeared!
Good!

I have had DP problems with OS updates before – far more with 7.24 than with 8. Re-installing always works.

When I fired up 7.24 this morning on an old project, all of the track colors were different and I got an error saying that the QuickScribe Font was missing. Uninstalling and reinstalling fixed it right up.

DP 8.07 is not giving me any grief.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:Reapplied the full DP 8.07 package and the problem has disappeared.
Good news! :dance: :dance: :dance: