Trouble exporting quicktime movie

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
sholtesound
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Trouble exporting quicktime movie

Post by sholtesound »

I'm trying to export a quicktime video overlaid with streamers and punches.
The original .mov file is 700 mbs, but DP is outputting a video file that's between 40 and 50 mbs. The only option I'm offered during bouncedown is whether or not to include film scoring events. I swear there used to be an option to export a video of the same size as the original. If anyone has any ideas, I'd love to hear them...
I'm using:
DP 8.07
OS 10.8.5
Thanks!
MIDI Life Crisis

Re: Trouble exporting quicktime movie

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

With DP8 MOTU dropped the movie export options. I used to use "referenced movies" all the time as they saved a lot of disk space, but the engine is no longer the quicktime engine, AFAIK. Sucks. Whatever DP decides to export as a movie we're stuck with.Quicktime Pro (also dropped from Apple as of QT ver 7.6.6) is the best solution for resizing movies. I think you can still purchase QT Pro. Maybe you don't need the pro version, I just don't know, but I assure you, MOTU has dropped all those fancy options.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
sholtesound

Post by sholtesound »

Wow, that's unfortunate, to say the least. Thanks for the info!
MIDI Life Crisis

Well, they moved away from using quicktime to do the export. I'm not sure why, but it may be as they moved to making DP more Windows compatible. In any event, my understanding it that they are using a proprietary code to accomplish the export and that's just the way of things. No real announcements and no defense of the change, but I'm sure they have their reasons. I really miss the referenced movies as they bounced so much faster and saved a lot of room on my HD.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Killahurts

Post by Killahurts »

I've been amazed at how stripped down the movie export features are now, compared to what they used to be. If I'm not mistaken, you can't even export with high resolution audio anymore- always applies IMA compression.
DP11, 2019 16-Core Mac Pro, Monterey, 64GB RAM. RME HDSPe MADI FX to SSL Alphalink to SSL Matrix console, and multiple digital sub consoles. UAD Quad PCIe. Outboard stuff.
MIDI Life Crisis

Agreed. I wonder if it was a matter of licensing QT stuff being too expensive?
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Killahurts

Post by Killahurts »

Could be.. didn't we loose those features around the time DP went full into the LAME framework for MP3 compression? Wonder if there's a correlation?
DP11, 2019 16-Core Mac Pro, Monterey, 64GB RAM. RME HDSPe MADI FX to SSL Alphalink to SSL Matrix console, and multiple digital sub consoles. UAD Quad PCIe. Outboard stuff.